Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6
Author: Subject: "You're so cheap!"
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 12:03 PM
"You're so cheap!"

What is the cheapest aperson can spend to live in Baja?

I ask because my idea is to live as cheaply as I can and collect my pension. As much as I save is money for my casita.
So, I will camp as much as I can. Will need the occasional cheap motel room to clean up some. 1 once week maybe.
How about food?
What is the lest one can spend on food living of the local economy.
For example, San Quintin is a farming town. My guess is food is very cheap if one knows where to shop.
Any guesses?

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 12:11 PM

get one of the cheap places in Mulege, live off fish you catch and grow a
veggie garden
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 12:17 PM

In San Quintin in those circumstances a single guy looking for a minimum lifestyle could easily live on less than $200USD per week. Entire families here do it on less than $100USD per week. It all depends what you are willing to give up...

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 12:18 PM

Nice, I like it.

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
get one of the cheap places in Mulege, live off fish you catch and grow a
veggie garden

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 12:29 PM

Yeah, I think that is what the question really is... how low can you go?So I guess necessity living is $100/week min. $200/max.

Things I can't give up.

1) Three square meals a day. Coffee.
2) Fuel for truck
3) Phone/Internet
4) Some shelter (tent, occasional motel)
5) ?

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGringo  
In San Quintin in those circumstances a single guy looking for a minimum lifestyle could easily live on less than $200USD per week. Entire families here do it on less than $100USD per week. It all depends what you are willing to give up...

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 12:53 PM

When I was first considering these questions, I would ask folks in Baja "how they did it". A common response was "gas and booze" were the biggest budget suckers....and these tended to be guys who like to fish....and drink, it seems :biggrin:

...and in those days the fantasy was an Airstream with a palapa in Todos Santos....

Well, all sorts of things have changed in past 30 years and I have realized I won't be doing that :( and renting has solved the issue as I can only be in Baja several months at a time in winter....and it's a four day drive.

From reading your posts it appears that you are "on the scent"....but may be underestimating your lodging needs....the previous suggestions regarding getting a trailer (lots for sale in Baja) and putting it in a community of your preference is a good idea....and see how that goes as a key first step....

Whatever you do, make a distinction between "cheap" and "frugal"...

y buena suerte

[Edited on 3-5-2018 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 01:15 PM

So many questions and so little time.

Why would you want to live as cheap as possible? Is that what you worked your ass off for all of those years? Just go and figure it out. All of the answers you seek will only come with time on the ground, grasshopper!

LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 01:34 PM

When I “go” the only expensive thing is gas. Five gallons of water at most places are 10 pesos or less. Vegetables are normally pretty cheap and if you catch your own, fish are free. A giant Costco thing of olive oil lasts a while. Make a fire to cook whenever there is no wind and conserve burner gas for windy days.
LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 01:45 PM

When I “go” the only expensive thing is gas. Five gallons of water at most places are 10 pesos or less. Vegetables are normally pretty cheap and if you catch your own, fish are free. A giant Costco thing of olive oil lasts a while. Make a fire to cook whenever there is no wind and conserve burner gas for windy days.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 01:46 PM

This is so true Woody.

No doubt I just need to get my feet on the ground and work it out.

I have no reservations about throwing money at my Baja trips In fact that is my Standard Operating Procedure.
But that was then. This is now.

Then: More money then brains. More money then time. Fight stress with money. 25 hour days. Insomnia and diarehea are my constant companions.
Now: More time than ability to replace money( without going back to work as a Walmart greeter).
Time to think.
Time to annoy eveyone with silly frivilous questions.
Time to contemplate a very nice humble frugal peaceful Baja life. Nomadic and monk-like.
Time for my pension money to kick in.
Time for my 401k to grow.
Time to figure out what I really want out of the next (last) 30 years of my life.
Time to figure out who I am, who I want to be... and who I was...

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
So many questions and so little time.

Why would you want to live as cheap as possible? Is that what you worked your ass off for all of those years? Just go and figure it out. All of the answers you seek will only come with time on the ground, grasshopper!

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 02:01 PM

I have probably fueled my Baja trips with more ceveza than gasoline over the years. And I am an unrepenteant gas guzzler.
Thankfully I am sober for 3 plus years now. I used booze as pain med/phycologist/social lubricant/best friend for many years. And it worked... sorta.
And the insanity of a cold beer on a hot beach/senorita is strong.
Maybe tomorrow...but not today.
So that expense is eliminated. (Not the senorita part, I' m budgeting in 1 visit a week to Ensenada/Tijuana/SanDiego for that. I suppose I could get by on once a month if I had to.;))
That the difference between cheap and frugal.

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
When I was first considering these questions, I would ask folks in Baja "how they did it". A common response was "gas and booze" were the biggest budget suckers....and these tended to be guys who like to fish....and drink, it seems :biggrin:

...and in those days the fantasy was an Airstream with a palapa in Todos Santos....

Well, all sorts of things have changed in past 30 years and I have realized I won't be doing that :( and renting has solved the issue as I can only be in Baja several months at a time in winter....and it's a four day drive.

From reading your posts it appears that you are "on the scent"....but may be underestimating your lodging needs....the previous suggestions regarding getting a trailer (lots for sale in Baja) and putting it in a community of your preference is a good idea....and see how that goes as a key first step....

Whatever you do, make a distinction between "cheap" and "frugal"...

y buena suerte

[Edited on 3-5-2018 by motoged]

[Edited on 3-5-2018 by fishbuck]

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 02:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  

I thought you retired from Boeing? Didn't you pay into SS as well? Or, is SS the only "pension" you're referring to?

I know teachers get screwed if we have qualified for SS and later STRS, but I did not think private sector employees were subject to the cruelty of Congress. They really screw those of us who follow two careers, a big barrier to recruiting mature new teachers.

John
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 02:57 PM

Time to figure out what I really want out of the next (last) 30 years of my life.

You did take a couple sarcastic swipes recently, but no worry
about questions, heck you even have Ron chiming in with info.
When you figure out the way to predict one's lifespan, let
me know. The cheapest, Coleman tent pitched on DK's Campo
Shell Isle, diet of triggerfish

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 03:02 PM

I will be 59 in April.
When IAM751 sold out their pension for a $10,000/signing bonus they also made it possible for me to retire at 58 with pension and full medical until medicare at 65.
I voted against it surprisingly. I thought at the time (2012-13) that I would work for another 10 years and pile onto my pension.
But they voted it away.
I took the 10 Gs like everyone else. And also the accelerated 401k contributions which ended last year.
So good work idiots. You voted away YOUR pension not mine. I'm already vested.

See ya, wouldn't want to be ya!
People died in strikes and various union battles for you to have a defined benifits pension and you gave it away for chump change.

And that is another reason I am retiring. These Everett and Wa Boeing people are too stupid to work with. And the trend is going toward More Stupid on the chart.

So SSN at 62.5.
Hence the sitting cheaply and quietly on the beach part.
I'm set for life. And even more set when SSN kicks in.

But it's not anywhere near close to fullbore Boeing money.
Not many things are. And not many things have the soul sucking/killing stress and institutionalized stupidity/lobotomy process.
Salsipuedes!

But remember if it doesn't kill you hopefully you won't be maimed for life but you will probably be a cynical, bitter, ahole with a crap personality that no one likes... but it may make you stronger... or kill you slowly later... or stronger...or...

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

I thought you retired from Boeing? Didn't you pay into SS as well? Or, is SS the only "pension" you're referring to?

I know teachers get screwed if we have qualified for SS and later STRS, but I did not think private sector employees were subject to the cruelty of Congress. They really screw those of us who follow two careers, a big barrier to recruiting mature new teachers.

John

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 03:04 PM

I must go here immediately.
Good bye cruel world!:bounce:

Quote: Originally posted by akmaxx  
https://bajasur.craigslist.com.mx/apa/d/mulege-artists-retre...

Spacious, private, quiet, near the ocean and gardens. Two restaurants on the property and groceries only two miles down a mostly paved malecon.

Where can you wrong with this?

Peace,

caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 03:12 PM

Spacious, private, quiet, near the ocean and gardens. Two restaurants on the property and groceries only two miles down a mostly paved malecon.

Peace,

seriously, in all the research I have done - Mulege stands out as the best living deal in Baja, really cool town, fresh fruits and veggies in abundance , excellent fishing - cheap as heck, nice ex pat community.

If i could get my wife off of the Las barriles infatuation - mulege is where i would end up, if i was smart!
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 03:15 PM

Please forgive my offensiveness. I was abused as a child, young man, man, middle aged man... I liked it a little too... but I can be as mean as a junk yard dog.
I'm am/was trained killer. No prisioners. I'm kicking tail and taking names... and then more unnecessary tail kicking.

Hopefully Baja will turn me into a friendly kind old gringo geezer. I'll be at the mission asking forgiveness... and fishing.

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  

You did take a couple sarcastic swipes recently, but no worry
about questions, heck you even have Ron chiming in with info.
When you figure out the way to predict one's lifespan, let
me know. The cheapest, Coleman tent pitched on DK's Campo
Shell Isle, diet of triggerfish

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 03:22 PM

This solves all life's problems forsure. It seems viable for simple subsistance fishing too.
I guess I can live on 1 trigger fish a day.
I'm serious. This is it.
[r3quote=1112555&tid=89693&author=caj13]

Peace,[/rquote]

seriously, in all the research I have done - Mulege stands out as the best living deal in Baja, really cool town, fresh fruits and veggies in abundance , excellent fishing - cheap as heck, nice ex pat community.

If i could get my wife off of the Las barriles infatuation - mulege is where i would end up, if i was smart!

Floatflyer
Nomad

Mood: Wet & Cold

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 07:20 PM

I saw this posted a month or so ago=
fishbuck
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

• posted on 2-8-2018 at 12:18 Reply With Quote Report Post to Administrator

Hey Cap! I am on the verge of beginning my quest to land on each of baja's remaining 23 or so runways.
    I hunting down a cheap Piper Cherokee 140. It stretches the range a bit but I'll carry a few hours worth of fuel in the back seat if they let me. I've done it before.
    Does anyone fly in baja anymore?
    I don't care about the fees or any of the other stuff. I want me some baja flying.
    Give me a short rough baja dirt runway anywhere any day. That's soul flying.

Pretty interesting how you can go from buying a plane to asking questions on how to live as cheaply as possible with a "clean up" at a motel once a week!!! Are you trying to increase your posting count or what????
    advrider
    Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 07:29 PM

I keep doing the math and come back to renting rather than own. Less stress when you aren't there and the ability to move around if needed. A friend pays rent for 6 months but keeps the house year around, so when so goes North because of the heat all of her stuff stays put!
     Pages:  1    3  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.