Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6
Author: Subject: "You're so cheap!"
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 07:30 PM

Where do you think I getting my flying money from?
I could go to Cabo and stay in expensive beachfront places or cheap motels and a little plane.
And did you notice the Piper 140 part.
I know I can find one for $20,000 all day. And that's a nice one
I've seen them much cheaper for a beater. It's the airplane equivelant to a Bajabug.
And who doesn't like Bajabugs.

Quote: Originally posted by Floatflyer  
I saw this posted a month or so ago=
fishbuck
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

• posted on 2-8-2018 at 12:18 Reply With Quote Report Post to Administrator

Hey Cap! I am on the verge of beginning my quest to land on each of baja's remaining 23 or so runways.
    I hunting down a cheap Piper Cherokee 140. It stretches the range a bit but I'll carry a few hours worth of fuel in the back seat if they let me. I've done it before.
    Does anyone fly in baja anymore?
    I don't care about the fees or any of the other stuff. I want me some baja flying.
    Give me a short rough baja dirt runway anywhere any day. That's soul flying.

Pretty interesting how you can go from buying a plane to asking questions on how to live as cheaply as possible with a "clean up" at a motel once a week!!! Are you trying to increase your posting count or what????

• "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

advrider
    Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 07:57 PM

But when my bugs broke down they were on land and I could just hop out and clean the gas filter real quick! Not so in a plane.... LOL, I don't know anything about planes....
    fishbuck
    Banned

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 08:18 PM

It's the same except pulling over and hoping out is harder.

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
    But when my bugs broke down they were on land and I could just hop out and clean the gas filter real quick! Not so in a plane.... LOL, I don't know anything about planes....

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

mtgoat666
    Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 08:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
    Where do you think I getting my flying money from?
    I could go to Cabo and stay in expensive beachfront places or cheap motels and a little plane.
    I know I can find one for $20,000 all day. And that's a nice one
    I've seen them much cheaper for a beater. It's the airplane equivelant to a Bajabug.
    And who doesn't like Bajabugs.

Quote: Originally posted by Floatflyer  
    I saw this posted a month or so ago=
    fishbuck
    Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

• posted on 2-8-2018 at 12:18 Reply With Quote Report Post to Administrator

Hey Cap! I am on the verge of beginning my quest to land on each of baja's remaining 23 or so runways.
    I hunting down a cheap Piper Cherokee 140. It stretches the range a bit but I'll carry a few hours worth of fuel in the back seat if they let me. I've done it before.
    Does anyone fly in baja anymore?
    I don't care about the fees or any of the other stuff. I want me some baja flying.
    Give me a short rough baja dirt runway anywhere any day. That's soul flying.

Pretty interesting how you can go from buying a plane to asking questions on how to live as cheaply as possible with a "clean up" at a motel once a week!!! Are you trying to increase your posting count or what????

• Flying is an expensive hobby.
    Sounds like you barely got a pot to pee in, Why don’t you focus on figuring Out how to afford basic necessities first, before you go blow your savings on a cheap plane whose operation/maintenance costs will blow a hole in your savings?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Hook
    Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-6-2018 at 07:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by LukeJobbins  
    When I “go” the only expensive thing is gas. Five gallons of water at most places are 10 pesos or less. Vegetables are normally pretty cheap and if you catch your own, fish are free. A giant Costco thing of olive oil lasts a while. Make a fire to cook whenever there is no wind and conserve burner gas for windy days.

Fish that you catch aren't free. In fact, fish caught from a boat are probably the most expensive fish on the planet. If you want cheap fish, buy it at a fish market.

I doubt you can be at subsistence level, fishing from the shore.

Cooking with wood is not that practical in Baja. It's not easy to collect the amount of wood you need. Buying mesquite is not cheap. And think of all the wasted energy units as you build a small fire to cook eggs in the AM.

Just go propane all the way. It's gotten more expensive in Mexico but it is still worth it.

[Edited on 3-6-2018 by Hook]
    MMc
    Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 3-6-2018 at 08:06 AM

Give the guy a break, He is trying to figure the next steps in his life. How about, he is trying to budget for the rest of his life. Houses, planes and autos are costly and spending wisely will affect his lifestyle. His life is his own and heckling from the .05 seats is annoying.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Hook
    Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-6-2018 at 08:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
    Time for my pension money to kick in.
    Time for my 401k to grow.

I thought you retired from Boeing? Didn't you pay into SS as well? Or, is SS the only "pension" you're referring to?

I know teachers get screwed if we have qualified for SS and later STRS, but I did not think private sector employees were subject to the cruelty of Congress. They really screw those of us who follow two careers, a big barrier to recruiting mature new teachers.

John

Teachers didnt get screwed. Teachers never paid into the system while they were working. That 6.2% deduction from their earnings went into their own retirement fund. That was generally not the choice of the federal government. It was the choice of CalSTRS and the teachers who agreed to the terms when they were employed.

Yes, many are shocked when they get to the end of their employment careers and discover they havent qualified for SS. But they should have known if from the start. Heck, I knew full time teaches that worked less than 20 hours a week, paid student aides minimum wage to grade papers and pulled down over 100k/year. They could have easily gotten some kind of part time job to qualify for SS..........and still worked less hours than the rest of us.

If they paid nothing into it and then expected SS benefits, the rest of us would be the ones getting screwed.
    John Harper
    Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2018 at 10:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

I thought you retired from Boeing? Didn't you pay into SS as well? Or, is SS the only "pension" you're referring to?

I know teachers get screwed if we have qualified for SS and later STRS, but I did not think private sector employees were subject to the cruelty of Congress. They really screw those of us who follow two careers, a big barrier to recruiting mature new teachers.

John

Teachers didnt get screwed. Teachers never paid into the system while they were working. That 6.2% deduction from their earnings went into their own retirement fund. That was generally not the choice of the federal government. It was the choice of CalSTRS and the teachers who agreed to the terms when they were employed.

Yes, many are shocked when they get to the end of their employment careers and discover they havent qualified for SS. But they should have known if from the start. Heck, I knew full time teaches that worked less than 20 hours a week, paid student aides minimum wage to grade papers and pulled down over 100k/year. They could have easily gotten some kind of part time job to qualify for SS..........and still worked less hours than the rest of us.

If they paid nothing into it and then expected SS benefits, the rest of us would be the ones getting screwed.

Well, I worked the corporate world for many years and qualified for my SS fair and square, as well as a nice 401k. Then, I decided on a career change and paid into STRS as well. Don't tell me I don't get screwed out of part of my SS earnings.

I'd love to see you teach a class sometime, any time. Your bullchit about teachers having it easy is just that. Bullchit. All the teachers I work with are dedicated professionals that love their work educating our future leaders. What have you ever done for our future? Procreated? Hopefully not.

John

[Edited on 3-6-2018 by John Harper]
    woody with a view
    PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-6-2018 at 11:05 AM

Pass the popcorn!

:P

Bajaboy
    Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2018 at 12:29 PM

John

I paid into SS before I became a teacher. I earned enough credits to draw SS. But politicians decided that because I'm going to get a pension, I should not receive my full SS benefits. This is complete BS and only applies to teachers as far as I know.

As for my contributions, I pay 10.25% of my earnings into my pension. In addition, I have other retirement accounts as well. I don't know any teachers that work 20 hours and make a 100K per year. But hey, keep believing what you want...doesn't make it the truth.

Paco Facullo
    Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 3-6-2018 at 12:35 PM

Fishbuck, you wrote

"And the insanity of a cold beer on a hot beach/senorita is strong."

I'm guessing you mean "insanely wonderful " don't you ?

Add in, a line in the water , an umbrella and a cigar, and you have, what MOST guy's would call
    "It don't get any better than this !"

Ps,,, Also with a taco stand close by .........

[Edited on 3-6-2018 by Paco Facullo]
    John Harper
    Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2018 at 12:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

John

I paid into SS before I became a teacher. I earned enough credits to draw SS. But politicians decided that because I'm going to get a pension, I should not receive my full SS benefits. This is complete BS and only applies to teachers as far as I know.

As for my contributions, I pay 10.25% of my earnings into my pension. In addition, I have other retirement accounts as well. I don't know any teachers that work 20 hours and make a 100K per year. But hey, keep believing what you want...doesn't make it the truth.

It's pretty obvious Kook has no idea what he's talking about.

John
    caj13
    Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2018 at 01:15 PM

Hook,
    as pointed out by John, you have anbsolutley no freaking idea what you are talking about.
    Yes california Teachers (thanks to Ronnie reagan BTW) essentially opted out of SS to fund their own retirement system. turns out its a hell of alot better deal that SS was, and is much more stable finaNcially, with much better monthly benefits.

But Myself, and John, we worked for 20 years IN OTHER STATES OR OTHER JOBS, Before we came into the CalSTirs system, paying into SS like everyone else. But - since we now have CALSTIRS, the feds think its really funny to reduce the amount of payment we have earned by paying in SS for all those years - they reduce our payments 40 - 60%.

If they want to do that - give me back all the money I paid ionto SS, I won't even ask for interest, and i can reinvest it and do quite well.

John, Myself and a whole lot of other Cal teachers are being systematically screwed by SS - and they don't even provide A SMALL JAR OF VASOLINE - TO SMOOTH OUT THE PAIN!
    Paco Facullo
    Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 3-6-2018 at 01:30 PM

O K now,

How did Fishbucks " You're so cheap " thread turn into a discussion on Ca. teachers S/S retirement benefits ?????

The REAL issue her is how does a recovering alcoholic with TOO much time on his hands deal with retirement ????

Let's get back on track, shall we ????
    caj13
    Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2018 at 02:49 PM

fishbucks,
    Jump on the place AKMaxx has in Mulege - get a small inflatable zodiak with a small outboard (3 - 5K for nice ones) , or kayak (1 - 3 K outitted) , and a small 4 wd vehicle, like a samuarai or an old cherokee (2000 - 4000) . try it out for a year - the rent will cost you less than 4K for the whole year - what do you have to loose, by the end of the year, you will know if thats the direction you want to take!

rent, transportation, fishing platform, for under 16K for the year. at the end of the year you can sell the boat and vehicle for what you paid, if you deside it's not for you, or move forward with the 2nd year getting really cheap!

Or lay out 15K or so for this place - in san Felipe http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=88517
    housing, transprtation electrical all taken care off, super cheap from there.
    chavycha
    Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2018 at 02:59 PM

I know I can find one for $20,000 all day.

That may have been true several years ago but certainly not today. A well-kept 140 with a mid-time engine and tolerable avionics (but no WAAS GPS) is nearing $30k now. Then there's the ongoing maintenance and insurance costs. An annual with just a little bit of work will cost you as much as a year in Baja...

Also not sure I'd want one for a lot of rough strip work. I own a 180 and it's a great plane, but the prop clearance sucks and you'll beat your flaps and stabilator to hell on gravel runways. Heck, just one rock ding in the wrong place on the prop and you're looking at a $4,500 replacement.

I'd love to have a bunch of shiny toys (truck, big boat, etc.) but the plane basically eats up my recreation budget (and then some). Aviation is not a cheap hobby.

Anyway, back to your regularly-scheduled discussion of California teacher's pensions.

[Edited on 3-6-2018 by chavycha]
    BajaTed
    Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2018 at 03:34 PM

Just a datapoint
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-california-calstrs-return...

1.4% ROI for having a social justice based portfolio.
    Be a D.I.P. it pays more. I invest in stupidity - RJ Reynolds and Coca Cola, great monthly dividend checks

Es Todo Bueno
    woody with a view
    PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-6-2018 at 04:14 PM

1.4%? in the midst of this bull market?
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Don Jorge
    Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2018 at 05:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGringo  
    In San Quintin in those circumstances a single guy looking for a minimum lifestyle could easily live on less than $200USD per week. Entire families here do it on less than $100USD per week. It all depends what you are willing to give up...

So true.

The average Mexican worker laboring in the peso economy, picking the fruit and vegetables, assembling dry flower arrangements, cleaning hotel rooms, washing dishes, pruning vines, maintaining grounds and swimming pools at hotels, in fact most manual labor jobs in Baja California pay on average 1000 pesos per week.

Mom and dad both work, together they earn 2000 pesos a week. In dollars that is about $110. They have children in school, they feed and clothe their family, they own maybe one beater car with no legal plates, sometimes it runs, once in a while the cops shake them down about the plates, and somehow they get by.

You talk about living cheaply. Quit talking, just do it. They do it.
    Of course, there are some in Baja California, in San Quintin, who prefer to make ends meet using other methods. They work n the wealth redistribution industry.

Every casa at Pedregal has iron work on every window and door. NO reason to wonder why is there.

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
    caj13
    Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2018 at 06:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
    1.4%? in the midst of this bull market?
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

well seeing as how he quotes a single data point - from 2016 - pretty sure that would be considered cherry picking - would it not?

of course he ignored this - in his intrepid google search
    https://www.calstrs.com/news-release/calstrs-reports-13.4-pe...

13.4% last year
     Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.