Pages:  1  2    4    6
Author: Subject: "You're so cheap!"
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-9-2018 at 08:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
Hey Hook,
Just to correct a very few of you many obvious mistatements and untruths.

1. That "minor" deduction in SS benefits - in my case it will be $786 per month. Thats US Dollars , not Pesos. i don't consider that minor.

2. we are required to have 22 contact hours - thats face to face time - per week with the students, we also are required to serve on multiple committees, write content, manage grades, meet with students individually, department and division meetings. thats a bit different than 20 hours a week!

3. and for future reference, remeber you got paid in your classified position, because us teachers were putting students butts uin seats. Your salary depended on us teachers doing actual teaching.

and a personal note - I have pulled in over 4.5 million dollars in various research grants, depending on the college and the grant, 25 - 40% of those grants were handed over to the college - to hire more administrators and classified personnel.

damned lazy teachers earning their salaries, and then earning enough to cover a boatload of classified and admin as well! Your welcome!

[Edited on 3-9-2018 by caj13]

What are you saying? That your contract requires you to put in 22 office hours per week, outside of your classes? What constitutes face to face "contact hours" if it isnt office hours?

That's WAY different than the district I worked in, if so. FT teaches put in as few as 2-3 office hours per week. It's possible that could explain our disagreements. Some contracts might be cushier than others.

On the SS deduction, are/were you paying into SS as part of your teaching? Are you STRS?

I never claimed that a teacher's reduction was minor. I said MY reduction was minor. I dont know how much a teacher's reduction might be. But I knew several that reached retirement age, never paid into SS, and were "shocked" that they were going to draw SS benes. Of course, there was no matching SS funds paid by the District to the feds, either.

Ya cant get insurance if no one pays the premium.

I guess I'm surprised you haven't gotten the NEA to overturn it if it is so unfair. :?:

[Edited on 3-10-2018 by Hook]
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2018 at 07:14 AM

hook,
I was in the same situation as John, we both had careers prior to and outside of teaching, in those positions, we paid into SS. But when we became full time teachers, paying into STRs, we lost 60% of our earned monthly benefits from SS.
assuming we had quit working - at the time we changed careers, we had earned a specific $ number per month from SS - based on what we had paid in, and how long we had been paying.

Because we chose to teach, and go into STRS, that SS payout is (or will be) reduced by 60%.

so You taught for 20 years in a CC, and you don't know what "contact Hours" are?. its all laid out in your contract, and scheduling and class assignments are completely predicated on FTEH, and Contact hours.
pretty hard to have a discussion with you when you are making all sorts of ridiculous claims about teachers workloads, and yet you have no idea how all that works? in spite of having "20 years" of teaching experience? weird!

[Edited on 3-10-2018 by caj13]

[Edited on 3-10-2018 by caj13]
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2018 at 09:42 PM

I dont know what more I can say about your SS reduction. Yes, it is substantial. But you didnt pay in, while within STRS. And your employer didn't match it. But you probably paid a similar percentage into STRS which will result in an increased benefit from them. That makes up for a portion of the reduction; maybe all of it; I dont know.

Here is the nuts and bolts about the reduction.

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10045.pdf

Looks like there is an exemption IF you put in 30 years of work with "substantial earnings under Social Security". How much short of that are you?

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 3-11-2018 at 12:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Teachers rock!

People that complain about teachers are ignoramuses!

I don't usually complain about teachers, but not all teachers rock.

I'm also trying to get over the shock that Hook, claims he was a state community college teacher!

It's so sad that the vast majority of community college students, never graduate.

DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2018 at 01:33 AM

Pretty sure we've reached the end of the utility of this thread now. The only thing we need now is a reference to turtles.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 3-11-2018 at 03:42 AM

Here ya go.............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRCe5L1imxg
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2018 at 05:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DanO  
Pretty sure we've reached the end of the utility of this thread now. The only thing we need now is a reference to turtles.

You are correct , (except turtle soup might be more appropriate).

No one has been able to refute my claim that there are CC instructors that work 20hrs/week and make 100K. But I knew that, going in.

The SS discussion was just a smoke screen.........with tears. More like a fog bank, really.
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2018 at 07:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
Quote: Originally posted by DanO  

You are correct , (except turtle soup might be more appropriate).

No one has been able to refute my claim that there are CC instructors that work 20hrs/week and make 100K. But I knew that, going in.

The SS discussion was just a smoke screen.........with tears. More like a fog bank, really.

actually I did refute it - conclusively, unfortunately your complete lack of knowledge on the subject did not allow you to understand.

once again, by contract 22 contact hours - and yes i did define that term above, apparently you chose to ignore it.

on top of that, you are required by contract to serve on committees, which typically involved lots of reading and research. You are required to work on program review, as well as accrediation stuff, as well as grading, managing class records, writing content, writing exams, serve on evaluation committees, serve on hiring committees, other than that - nothing to it.

The part timers cruise through without doing anything beyond showing up for their classes, so often they have absolutley no idea about all of the other stuff full time faculty are required to do. that is obviously the case here!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-11-2018 at 07:43 PM

Whoa!
This thread went off track!
Fishead came here looking for ideas on how to Retire in Mexico on $5 per day,... can you teachers teach the fishead????

Let’s see some teaching!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2018 at 08:56 PM

Nope, you didnt refute it. You gave YOUR situation.......which was immaterial.

I never said YOU worked 20 hrs/week and pulled down 100K. I only said I knew teachers in my district who did.

But you went into FTEH, hoping to confuse me, because you are a science guy who has lab hours. Not pertinent to the discussion, because.........

The teachers I knew were history, film appreciation, math, literature, etc. No lab hours involved at all. Just bigass lecture classes. Remember what I said, every 7 students above the typical maximum class size was another FTEH. There, I used your term. Starting to get it, yet?

Now, get the NEA working on your gripe about your SS reduction. Maybe have them throw in a stipend for a lifetime supply of Kleenex for you!
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2018 at 09:50 AM

I'm calling BS. Any way to put me in touch with these mysterious teachers who only work 20 hours a week, and earn 100K? BTW all public employees, including every California CC teacher, has their salary listed on a public website. some do make 100K, but They work a hell of alot more than 20 hours a week!
Are you sure they don't serve on any committees, or work on program review, or academic senate, or have release time as a department chair, or to clean up the messes of incompetent admin and classified who find out their great ideas require work ethic and skill, and the only ones they can find with both, are full time faculty.

so just PM or U2U or email me a name, a contact a phone number -
something like that. I will contact them, verify you are correct, and publically post it here that you were right! Then you can strut in all your glory!

Of course we both know what comes next, you spend time hemming and hawing, trying to fabricate all sort of excuses why you can't do that.

we also know the real reason why - don't we Hook. Because your bold statement - you know good and well its complete BS - you are just repeating a long wispered, easy to verify as false talking point by those who can't - but wish they could! v(Teach)

/
Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
Nope, you didnt refute it. You gave YOUR situation.......which was immaterial.

I never said YOU worked 20 hrs/week and pulled down 100K. I only said I knew teachers in my district who did.

But you went into FTEH, hoping to confuse me, because you are a science guy who has lab hours. Not pertinent to the discussion, because.........

The teachers I knew were history, film appreciation, math, literature, etc. No lab hours involved at all. Just bigass lecture classes. Remember what I said, every 7 students above the typical maximum class size was another FTEH. There, I used your term. Starting to get it, yet?

Now, get the NEA working on your gripe about your SS reduction. Maybe have them throw in a stipend for a lifetime supply of Kleenex for you!

[Edited on 3-13-2018 by caj13]
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2018 at 06:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
1.4%? in the midst of this bull market?
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Something is wrong with these numbers. I'm getting more in my savings accounts :)

[Edited on 3-15-2018 by Alm]
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 3-15-2018 at 11:03 AM

To jump on a sinking ship... when I taught in Las Vegas there was a teacher shortage. The district offered retired teachers their full salary if they would come back to work and their retirement pension would not be affected. Double dipping at it's finest. I personally knew teachers who retired in June with full pension, then came back to work in August. This was an especially good situation for 55 year old retirees. Full insurance and the windfall salary/pension.
bledito
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2018 at 11:32 AM

get an old Winnebago park it on a free beach arroyo area live on tacos. free fire wood on most beaches collect a lot after storms. internet in town at some restaraunts get the password find a spot close by free wifi. ride a bicycletta, drive only when neccasary. my guess you could get by on 300 usa a month.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2018 at 12:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bledito  
get an old Winnebago park it on a free beach arroyo area live on tacos. free fire wood on most beaches collect a lot after storms. internet in town at some restaraunts get the password find a spot close by free wifi. ride a bicycletta, drive only when neccasary. my guess you could get by on 300 usa a month.
Finally back on subject..

I like your thinking bledito, although I would ONLY do that IF I had to .......................

There are certainly many worse positions to be in , in life....
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 3-15-2018 at 12:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
I'm calling BS. Any way to put me in touch with these mysterious teachers who only work 20 hours a week, and earn 100K? BTW all public employees, including every California CC teacher, has their salary listed on a public website. some do make 100K, but They work a hell of alot more than 20 hours a week!
Are you sure they don't serve on any committees, or work on program review, or academic senate, or have release time as a department chair, or to clean up the messes of incompetent admin and classified who find out their great ideas require work ethic and skill, and the only ones they can find with both, are full time faculty.

so just PM or U2U or email me a name, a contact a phone number -
something like that. I will contact them, verify you are correct, and publically post it here that you were right! Then you can strut in all your glory!

Of course we both know what comes next, you spend time hemming and hawing, trying to fabricate all sort of excuses why you can't do that.

we also know the real reason why - don't we Hook. Because your bold statement - you know good and well its complete BS - you are just repeating a long wispered, easy to verify as false talking point by those who can't - but wish they could! v(Teach)

You are right to call BS on Hook, with his lazy charges against community college teachers, he says are only working 20 hours a week and nothing more, yet they are pulling down $100,000 a year.

In general most teachers from elementary school to college, usually put in less than 25 hours in a week in actual classroom teaching , but most teachers, do so much more on lesson plans, grading papers, staff meetings, student meetings, and many other works, including a few that Caj13, mentioned.

Of course, there are a few teachers, that been working so long, that they just "call it in" and recycle, old material, and do very little outside the classroom. Maybe, Hook, is talking about a few lazy teachers/professors, he knows.

BTW $100,000 dollars, isn't what it once was. Many professionals, easily bring home $100K a year, or more.

Regarding the well meaning, "double dipping" law of the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP), and it's sister law, Government Pension Offset. (GPO)

You only have to look at what's going on in California, that there are some real problems, with teachers, believing they're being shortchanged by having their social security drastically cut, or their spouse or children being denied coverage under a number of different scenarios. ( A lot depends on specific cases, it would be fair to some, and unfair to others)

This is why great senators, like, Dianne Feinstein, are busy trying to get the “double dipping” law changed, and it's not only Feinstein, that is working on the problem, many politicians, and lawyers, are trying to make changes to the WEP.

[Edited on 3-16-2018 by JoeJustJoe]

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-15-2018 at 12:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
Quote: Originally posted by bledito  
Finally back on subject..

I like your thinking bledito, although I would ONLY do that IF I had to .......................

There are certainly many worse positions to be in , in life....

I like it. I will do this in some form.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 3-15-2018 at 12:41 PM

$300 a month is only $3600 a year. I can afford to go too. Just got to run it by the wife first. lol
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2018 at 12:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
$300 a month is only $3600 a year. I can afford to go too. Just got to run it by the wife first. lol
Heck, $3600 a year ? That would barely take care of my beer ...................

And women ... That's a whole nother thing !!!!

[Edited on 3-15-2018 by Paco Facullo]
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 3-15-2018 at 03:59 PM

Teacher contract hours are nearly 40 hours a week..... then you add in all the free over time for grading & lesson planning. We don't have time to do these things during regular hours because we spend too much time on Section 501 & EOP accommodations & parent teacher meetings.
 Pages:  1  2    4    6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.