Pages:  1  ..  4    6
Author: Subject: "You're so cheap!"
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-16-2018 at 11:42 PM

From Goat:

"You are a fool to pay 300/month for phone and 300/month for cable tv

I can’t begin to analyze the silliness of having ac in western Washington..."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1)Yes
2)Yes
3)Correct. But seriously, this place has some heat waves in summer. Otherwise fantastic in summer.
The aircon was for the girlfriend. The kind that sits on the floor and a vent to the window. It worked great.
She took it when she left. Along with a few HD smart TVs. I guess I gave her that stuff.;)

[Edited on 3-17-2018 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2018 at 05:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  

Is it possible to have 1 phone that does both and doesn't cost a ton of pesos?

I already told you that ATT works in Baja. They have a deal with TELCEL which is a Mexican telcom. You can get a data/voice plan for under $50 bucks that is unlimited data (?) and call/text. My cheapo plan (no data) is only $25 month (w/autopay) unlimited call/text/photos. Data seems a waste of money for me, and I can get online at home or at work if necessary, probably any Starbucks if I'm mobile and desperate.

Here, $45 a month for all, and it works in Mexico:
https://www.att.com/prepaid/plans.html

I have never understood why people pay so much for a phone, it's absurd.

John

[Edited on 3-17-2018 by John Harper]
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2018 at 10:56 AM

I can still see a need for for 2 phones. 1 US and 1 Baja.

Is it possible to stay a little more focused? Including when you're talking over the phone :)

Carlos Slim empire will be happy to give you a pre-pay that may cost anywhere fro $US 5 to 10, a month. With unlimited voice and "some" data. And it will work in the US, with modest roaming charges.

If you plan to move to Baja permanently and not keep any home in the US, you won't need to go North very often. Maybe only for major procedures on Medicare - despite glorious Mexican healthcare system. With time, your phone calls from Baja to US will become less frequent too.

You're asking about electricity costs, it has been already answered in this and your other related threads.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-17-2018 at 12:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

I already told you that ATT works in Baja. They have a deal with TELCEL which is a Mexican telcom. You can get a data/voice plan for under $50 bucks that is unlimited data (?) and call/text. My cheapo plan (no data) is only $25 month (w/autopay) unlimited call/text/photos. Data seems a waste of money for me, and I can get online at home or at work if necessary, probably any Starbucks if I'm mobile and desperate.

Here, $45 a month for all, and it works in Mexico:
https://www.att.com/prepaid/plans.html

I have never understood why people pay so much for a phone, it's absurd.

John

[Edited on 3-17-2018 by John Harper]

Thank you.
I'm a slow learner sometimes.
I'm on it.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-17-2018 at 01:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

I can still see a need for for 2 phones. 1 US and 1 Baja.

Is it possible to stay a little more focused? Including when you're talking over the phone :)

Carlos Slim empire will be happy to give you a pre-pay that may cost anywhere fro $US 5 to 10, a month. With unlimited voice and "some" data. And it will work in the US, with modest roaming charges.

If you plan to move to Baja permanently and not keep any home in the US, you won't need to go North very often. Maybe only for major procedures on Medicare - despite glorious Mexican healthcare system. With time, your phone calls from Baja to US will become less frequent too.

You're asking about electricity costs, it has been already answered in this and your other related threads.

Thank you for helping. I'm trying to get it all. There are a lot of details.
I have full medical in my retirement plan so will be relocating my health and wellness access to San Diego.
Fortunately I don't need much yet.
I don't need to work but haven't given up yet on starting a second career as a pilot. I still have pro pilot friends in Orange County and San Diego and want to stay in touch.
My goal is to commute to work in my personal plane from my private runway in San Quintin. Fly a trip and then back home.
Or maybe I will just go camping and fishing. Then I might not need a phone at all.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-17-2018 at 01:18 PM

Have you joined Baja Bush Pilots (Bush Pilots International)? They advocate for private pilots to the Mexican government to reduce ridiculous fees and hardships on pilots that has all but killed small plane vacationing for many. Of course, drug cartels stealing planes for their own use doesn't help, either!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-17-2018 at 02:43 PM

I haven't but will very soon so I can get up to date. Plus they have expanded to mainland Mexico and as far as Costa Rica I think.
They all have nice planes too. Semi-rich dudes mostly...
I think a pilot needs to be aware of and willing to accept the changes in Baja if possible.
I haven't tried flying in Baja for a while. So maybe I'll change my tune after trying it again.
But I 'm not done yet. I'm always scheming to get my hands on a plane... can someone please lend me their plane for a Baja trip or 2? I'll wash it and fill it with gas when I'm done.:cool:

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-17-2018 at 04:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Have you joined Baja Bush Pilots (Bush Pilots International)? They advocate for private pilots to the Mexican government to reduce ridiculous fees and hardships on pilots that has all but killed small plane vacationing for many.

Hardships?

Can you explain?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

bledito
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2018 at 02:30 PM

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-23-2018 at 02:57 PM

I didn't follow a lot of that from Fishbuck, because I tore a hole in my foil hat, getting out of my Bell Ranger....

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-24-2018 at 01:15 PM

What did you miss chuckie? Please adjust you foil hat and pay attention.
This is important Baja info that could save your life someday...:coolup:

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2018 at 01:34 PM

I reread your stuff and didn't see any information....maybe you could like underline it or something?

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 3-24-2018 at 03:41 PM

chuckie,

Oh sweet baby Jesus and for the love of everything that is Holy, I beg you not to encourage fishbuck repeat himself....
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2018 at 04:11 PM

You are right....He has done it so many times...But its entertaining to see how it always comes out different...SORRY!

Pages:  1  ..  4    6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.