Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  6
Author: Subject: "You're so cheap!"
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2018 at 12:57 PM

Just try to not be so frugal that you neglect to tip appropriately in restaurants, etc. Mexicans generally get paid very low wages and depend on tips to get by. It costs them the same to gas up their vehicles as it costs you.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-7-2018 at 01:20 PM

I like this idea!

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
fishbucks,
Jump on the place AKMaxx has in Mulege - get a small inflatable zodiak with a small outboard (3 - 5K for nice ones) , or kayak (1 - 3 K outitted) , and a small 4 wd vehicle, like a samuarai or an old cherokee (2000 - 4000) . try it out for a year - the rent will cost you less than 4K for the whole year - what do you have to loose, by the end of the year, you will know if thats the direction you want to take!

rent, transportation, fishing platform, for under 16K for the year. at the end of the year you can sell the boat and vehicle for what you paid, if you deside it's not for you, or move forward with the 2nd year getting really cheap!

Or lay out 15K or so for this place - in san Felipe http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=88517
housing, transprtation electrical all taken care off, super cheap from there.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-7-2018 at 01:32 PM

Lots of places in Mexico... and the US have window bars now a days.
I plan to use the retractable type. My place will be a little castle when I'm done. But Del Morro is fenced and gated. We have an onsite guard. Pedregal doesn't... yet.
Thank you for the honest info regarding the income of an average local Mexican family.
So I will "just do it" when I gather enough info to learn how to "do" it.
That's how it's done.:coolup:

Quote: Originally posted by Don Jorge  
Quote: Originally posted by BajaGringo  
In San Quintin in those circumstances a single guy looking for a minimum lifestyle could easily live on less than $200USD per week. Entire families here do it on less than $100USD per week. It all depends what you are willing to give up...

So true.

The average Mexican worker laboring in the peso economy, picking the fruit and vegetables, assembling dry flower arrangements, cleaning hotel rooms, washing dishes, pruning vines, maintaining grounds and swimming pools at hotels, in fact most manual labor jobs in Baja California pay on average 1000 pesos per week.

Mom and dad both work, together they earn 2000 pesos a week. In dollars that is about $110. They have children in school, they feed and clothe their family, they own maybe one beater car with no legal plates, sometimes it runs, once in a while the cops shake them down about the plates, and somehow they get by.

You talk about living cheaply. Quit talking, just do it. They do it.
Of course, there are some in Baja California, in San Quintin, who prefer to make ends meet using other methods. They work n the wealth redistribution industry.

Every casa at Pedregal has iron work on every window and door. NO reason to wonder why is there.

[Edited on 3-7-2018 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-7-2018 at 01:39 PM

Thanks for the reminder.
What is tipping etiquette in Baja these days?
Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Just try to not be so frugal that you neglect to tip appropriately in restaurants, etc. Mexicans generally get paid very low wages and depend on tips to get by. It costs them the same to gas up their vehicles as it costs you.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2018 at 01:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
Thanks for the reminder.

same as it is where you're leaving;)
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-7-2018 at 01:54 PM

15%? I never dine out here.

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
Thanks for the reminder.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2018 at 01:59 PM

Thanks for the reminder.

yup...only difference is you gotta tip a few others along the way!:lol:
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-7-2018 at 02:21 PM

Thanks for the reminder.

yup...only difference is you gotta tip a few others along the way!:lol:

Oh... that kind of tip. Yeah, I'm a little out of practice.:saint:

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2018 at 03:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Jorge  

The average Mexican worker laboring in the peso economy, cleaning hotel rooms, washing dishes, pruning vines, maintaining grounds and swimming pools at hotels

Some time back, was a post that stuck with me, someone familiar with the tourist industry at the Cape, reported,
I may have the # off a bit, what a housekeeping person
at the Hotels makes for a day, it was not far off of what a tropical
umbrella drink at poolside costs the tourist

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-7-2018 at 03:56 PM

That means I can afford a housekeeper!
I will do my part to help the economy by being extra lazy and messy.
It's a Win/Win!

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-7-2018 at 07:50 PM

No, I'm afraid I DO know what I'm talking about because I worked at a state community college in SoCal for 30 years and taught, part time, for 20 years. And I stand by everything I said. Community college teaching is the biggest gravy train in education. Ask any state university professor and they will tell you, with a good deal of envy. No research needed, no publishing requirement for CC teachers.

All it takes for a teacher to work 20 hours/week and make over 100K is to teach a few large lecture classes. They are paid extra for every seven students over the set maximum class size, in many districts. At the time I was teaching, the max class size for regular pay was around 25-30 students. But there were teachers that had classes with over a hundred and fifty students in large lecture halls. Tests were multiple choice questions using Scantron forms. And maybe 1-2 essays per semester. But those were graded by student aides, too, just like the Scantrons.

I was a classified employee (PERS system) for those thirty years and taught part time for twenty. I never paid into STRS because I worked a max of 9 hours/week, in the classroom. My SS benefits were also reduced because of my CLASSIFIED earnings. But I knew that going in. But not nearly as much as a teacher WHO NEVER PAID INTO THE SYSTEM THEIR 6.2% IN THE FIRST PLACE. Classified employees do. It's all explained to you IF you had asked about it.

And it's all explained in this article from The Motley Fool.........if you guys care to investigate AFTER THE FACT. This article revolves around the Detroit bankruptcy, but it explains the logic behind the reduction. In short, the way SS was figured was FAVORING goverment employees and a formula was created to reduce this.

https://www.fool.com/retirement/general/2013/07/31/why-socia...

So, Mr. Harper, are you saying that IF you had know about this reduction ( that you SHOULD have known about), you would have refused your teaching job and its pay??????

Yeah, I didn't think so................

No, it doesn't just apply to teachers. It applies to whole employment classes at the federal, state, and local level.

Actually, I suspect that your teaching earnings didn't actually affect the amount of SS benefits you accrued in private industry. It just reduced what you earned from your teaching income. But I'm not sure about that. You should be able to research that on your own, for a change.

[Edited on 3-8-2018 by Hook]
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-7-2018 at 08:46 PM

It's all part of the fake college degree necessity. Remember the old days when a High School Deploma could still get you a decent job?
It's a form of gentrification.

The Educational Industrial Complex.
It's very similar to the Jail Industrial Complex and the Military Industrial Complex.
Somebody is getting very rich...

If a teacher ain't raking it in then maybe they can get a summer job that pays into social security.
Or goof off all summer and cry about it later.

caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2018 at 09:09 PM

Ah it all comes crystal clear,
not good enough to get the full time gig,
spend 20 years hanging on,
applying but never able to land the job.
we see it all the time,
and the end result is bitterness and vitriol for those who were good enough to make the cut,get full time.

BTW - I am full time CC. but beside my teaching load
I also run a NSF funded research lab, staffed by my students,
and run a consulting company on the side.

I have a dozen or so published papers, discovered 5 new species been featured on a couple of international documentaries, etc.
I put in a few minutes more per week that the minimum! perhaps that was the differnce between me getting hired, and you not?
take your slacker "want special treatment for minimal effort - attitude and cram it"!

We don't hire full time guys like you describe - we see 30 or 40 of em every time we advertise a job. You guys show up with an entitled attitude, and a chip on their shoulder, limited teaching skills, no record of achievement, and think you deserve the priviledge of teaching!

in our department we hire people who are interested in going above and beyond -they are driven. Its very easy to detect the slackers who want to get by putting in miniimum hours and effort.
Pehaps you need to look in a mirror when you try and figure out why you never got hired full time!

peeed off about getting your SS reduced by your classified work - suprize - why don't you hold yourself responsible for knowing what was going on in your retirement plan? Whos fault was that?

Jon and myself knew we would be facing that reduction, and we willingly chose that pathway - but the fact remains, guys like John and I have put a heck of alot of money into the SS system, and will get very little out of it,

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
No, I'm afraid I DO know what I'm talking about because I worked at a state community college in SoCal for 30 years and taught, part time, for 20 years. And I stand by everything I said. Community college teaching is the biggest gravy train in education. Ask any state university professor and they will tell you, with a good deal of envy. No research needed, no publishing requirement for CC teachers.

All it takes for a teacher to work 20 hours/week and make over 100K is to teach a few large lecture classes. They are paid extra for every seven students over the set maximum class size, in many districts. At the time I was teaching, the max class size for regular pay was around 25-30 students. But there were teachers that had classes with over a hundred and fifty students in large lecture halls. Tests were multiple choice questions using Scantron forms. And maybe 1-2 essays per semester. But those were graded by student aides, too, just like the Scantrons.

I was a classified employee (PERS system) for those thirty years and taught part time for twenty. I never paid into STRS because I worked a max of 9 hours/week, in the classroom. My SS benefits were also reduced because of my CLASSIFIED earnings. But I knew that going in. But not nearly as much as a teacher WHO NEVER PAID INTO THE SYSTEM THEIR 6.2% IN THE FIRST PLACE. Classified employees do. It's all explained to you IF you had asked about it.

And it's all explained in this article from The Motley Fool.........if you guys care to investigate AFTER THE FACT. This article revolves around the Detroit bankruptcy, but it explains the logic behind the reduction. In short, the way SS was figured was FAVORING goverment employees and a formula was created to reduce this.

https://www.fool.com/retirement/general/2013/07/31/why-socia...

So, Mr. Harper, are you saying that IF you had know about this reduction ( that you SHOULD have known about), you would have refused your teaching job and its pay??????

Yeah, I didn't think so................

No, it doesn't just apply to teachers. It applies to whole employment classes at the federal, state, and local level.

Actually, I suspect that your teaching earnings didn't actually affect the amount of SS benefits you accrued in private industry. It just reduced what you earned from your teaching income. But I'm not sure about that. You should be able to research that on your own, for a change.

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 07:00 AM

Very strange, how you misread my post and drew conclusions that were not there, for a guy so steeped in research. Let's hope your area is not health-related or something more important.

I'm not the one who is crying foul over the minor loss of SS benefits. Harper is. How you missed that is mystifying. I was the one telling them "ya shoulda known". I was the one accepting of the minor loss. My teaching never impacted my SS benefits.

I'm not the one crying for special privileges. Your esteemed colleague, Harper is, I guess. I'm not crying over a loss to my SS income that totaled only 33.00/month.

You can discover undiscovered species, but you can't divine the divergent characteristics of two different human conversations in a couple of paragraphs? Come on, professor, concentrate.

And I never applied for a FT gig, because it would have taken me 5-7 years to even equal the salary I had with the combined income from teaching part time AND being a classified employee. All those teaching years were CONCURRENT with my classified job. The overall income loss would have been about 20-30%. Not gonna happen in a SoCal environment, owning a house.

You didnt consider this scenario, did you? No, you jumped to the conclusion that your psychological vetting system in interviews would have rooted me out as a slacker. I actually worked mostly 50 hour weeks, while teaching. Not exactly a slacker's schedule.

Nice research technique there, professor. Can we assume you research your books any better?

BTW, you may be published and you may do research, but you missed my point (again!). Those AREN'T a requirement of CC teaching, like they often are at the university level. THAT was part of my gravy train contention, that makes CC teaching jobs the easiest gigs in education.

I noticed you passed on refuting my 20 hour/week, 100k contention. Not surprising. It exists, doesn't it? You bet it does.

BTW, that can be accomplished on TWO WORKING DAYS. Two days on, five days off, 100k+ with a pension. And you can be sure that any teacher with any seniority can get this, especially at times when his/her stint as department chair comes up.

That's pretty gravy these days.........

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 10:20 AM

It's true, we all make decisions in life that affect the future. Still, there is no place for denigrating people's choice of employment. Funny how teachers always get criticized, yet police and fire employees regularly retire in their early 50's fully pensioned, without a peep from critics.

I'm sure there are also many people (our President?) out there who barely put in an eight hour day like the mystery $100K teachers you apparently know. I don't seem to find any of them in our district, however. I'll certainly look for openings that offer those kind of perks, if they exist.

John

[Edited on 3-8-2018 by John Harper]
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 11:55 AM

Your point is well taken, John. First responders do get a bit of a pass on this front. Chalk it up to the dangerous nature of their jobs.

I dont criticize teachers at the primary and secondary level. They put in long hours and they put up with kids and adolescents. And their pay is a lot less. I have always supported their efforts for better pay. I dealt with some students that were BARELY above adolescents, psychologically, (mostly the guys, of course!), but I had a number of students that were older than me and returning to school to be re-trained. That's much easier than the primary and secondary students.

It's pretty amazing how salaries for teachers and classified can differ from state to state. My pension from CA as a classified employee is actually greater than a guy I know in Idaho who retired as a PRINCIPAL. Pretty much the same number of years. CA is near the top in salaries in education. Idaho is near the bottom, or so he said.

I'll close with this thought, and let Fishbuck get back to trying to live on 100.00/month. :lol:

Some people complain about a reduction in SS benefits if they earn too much WHILE ON SS. I dont understand that. What's the problem; you're making more than you were. You never earn LESS, overall. All you are out is your free time..........but you knew that going in to a new job while in retirement.

Just to be clear, I am not accusing you of this, John. Just a general observation.

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 09:20 PM

It's all part of the fake college degree necessity.

I thought I was the only one who believed in that theory,
here in So.Orange, they send junior to get some worthless
4 yr. degree from State College or the Cal University system,
a degree in Paleontology, is what one came home with. Daddy has a good income, hence
these parents hold on to archaic idea that a degree will
somehow allow junior to prosper. The all come back, after
their higher education and live at home. But at least they
didn't have to take out loans. But it must be daunting for
a 20 something to try to make sense of what to do

caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2018 at 03:43 PM

Hey Hook,
Just to correct a very few of you many obvious mistatements and untruths.

1. That "minor" deduction in SS benefits - in my case it will be $786 per month. Thats US Dollars , not Pesos. i don't consider that minor.

2. we are required to have 22 contact hours - thats face to face time - per week with the students, we also are required to serve on multiple committees, write content, manage grades, meet with students individually, department and division meetings. thats a bit different than 20 hours a week!

3. and for future reference, remeber you got paid in your classified position, because us teachers were putting students butts uin seats. Your salary depended on us teachers doing actual teaching.

and a personal note - I have pulled in over 4.5 million dollars in various research grants, depending on the college and the grant, 25 - 40% of those grants were handed over to the college - to hire more administrators and classified personnel.

damned lazy teachers earning their salaries, and then earning enough to cover a boatload of classified and admin as well! Your welcome!

[Edited on 3-9-2018 by caj13]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-9-2018 at 04:46 PM

Teachers rock!

People that complain about teachers are ignoramuses!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-9-2018 at 06:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Teachers rock!

People that complain about teachers are ignoramuses!

Amen, brother mountain creature 6.

Pages:  1    3    5  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.