Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mexicali East Crossing changes
fourninerpapa
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 03:24 PM
Mexicali East Crossing changes

We plan on crossing northbound to the US at the east Mexicali crossing in a few days. We heard from some friends that you can no longer turn right from Calzada Abelardo L Rodriguez onto the northbound road to the border entry. Friends said they had to continue west for a couple of miles and then turn around and head back to make a left turn to the east border entry. They also mentioned entering a dirt road. Is there some construction going on that closes the right turn? We are driving a 38ft motorhome with a toad so it helps to know ahead of time of such detours.
Thanks
Norm
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 04:11 PM

I crossed there this morning about noon (heading south) and the line headed north appeared to be horrendous!

No line headed south, I never had to stop, talked to no one. Some of the lanes there appeared to have been blocked off, but this was my first entrance there.

If you miss the FMM office, there does not seem to be a way to return short of a few hours.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 05:39 PM

Mexcali East Northbound Pictures
Overview

Exit Hwy 5 ant first traffic light
Follow the route and look for the Garita signs. Major turn is a right onto the Aeropurto road on to a 6 land boulevard . Then a major left at the Propane fill station (2 left turn lanes)
The use the right lane like in the following picture

After the border use this pic for a guide

Road construction has been going on for a while to add more lanes to the approach from the east. Do not consider getting to the border from the west. For sure you will not like it. And I am not sure it can even be done with a motorhome.

fourninerpapa
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2018 at 07:52 AM

Thank you Paul for your map. The route you show is the route we plan to take. The information from our friend who crossed a couple of days ago was not real clear. I think they meant the sweeping right turn from the east was blocked by a police car. The policeman motioned them to continue west and I think that caused them to miss a right turn onto a dirt road.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2018 at 07:58 AM

I believe you enter from the east for regular lane crossing and from the west for sentri or passport card entry.
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2018 at 10:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
I believe you enter from the east for regular lane crossing and from the west for sentri or passport card entry.

This has been my experience for the last couple years. Motorhomes should keep to the right if you are in the regular lanes.
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2018 at 05:32 PM

I crossed north about a week ago and it was different than stated above. Big changes... If you look at Paul's 2nd picture, the big dirt lot north of Rodriguez has 1 or 2 lanes that parallel the road now that then turn north into the regular lines and I think Fast Track lines. It appeared that everyone had to enter from the east, except for Sentri. I think they are trying to fix that major cluster f@ck of people turning in from the west and having to have the cops there all the time.

Here's the interesting thing if you are Sentri: I had to turn NORTH into the SOUTHBOUND lanes where Paul's middle arrow is in his picture! It is marked Sentri and has arrows. Then you have to cross left to right across that median and drop into the existing (previous) Sentri lane. Not too bad, but it was a little weird since it was my first time since they have done this construction. This may change because it does look like there is a lot of this still under construction.

[Edited on 3-7-2018 by Pacifico]

[Edited on 3-7-2018 by Pacifico]

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-6-2018 at 05:50 PM

Discover Baja's newest newsletter (out today) gives a slightly different route that leaves Hwy. 5 near the Costco... I have seen Paul W's route from others, so it may be the more popular one?

http://www.discoverbaja.com/go/driving-directions/mexicali-e...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2018 at 09:18 AM

It depends on whether or not you want to stop at Costco and/or WalMart. They're both on the Discover Baja route. I've done both but settled on Paul's route for no particular reason.
philodog
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2018 at 04:55 PM

Crossed last week and it was a real cluster. I always approach from the east and get right into the RV lane which is the furthest lane to the right (east). This line is usually a lot shorter then the line approaching from the west. This time they wouldn`t let you in coming from the east. People approaching from the west (the signed route) actually pass the entrance, do a U turn at a police controlled intersection, get on a dirt road and enter the crossing from the east. If you try to approach the crossing from the east the police at the intersection won`t let you onto the dirt road and you have to continue until you get to the end of the westbound crossers line, do a U turn, and get in at the end of the line.
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2018 at 05:15 PM

Did you notice if it was still ok to approach from the east and turn into Sentri since Sentri wasn't part of that dirt portion?

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2018 at 06:34 AM

I can confirm what Philodog said per a friend that did what he did. So for now to approach from the east is a bad thing. The police are intent on cuing up the vehicles. Approach from the west seems to be best.
For us coming from the south instead of the right turn on the boulevard toward the airport I will go straight to the border road and hope the line is short enough to allow me to enter the lineup.
I suspect the lineup will be left lane for sentry, next one for Ready and far right for RV/trailers with no special pass.
We need more reporting to see if what I said is anywhere close to correct. I wont be using the east crossing until it gets sorted out. Bummer!
fourninerpapa
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2018 at 07:55 AM

We crossed on Sunday. We could not enter from the east. We were forced to continue west. The police were cuing up all vehicles to enter from the west. We had to drive past the east entry and head west until we could turn around and enter the long line heading back east to the crossing. It made no sense to me why it was done that way. It was difficult in a 38 foot motorhome towing a Jeep.
Norm
philodog
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2018 at 08:19 AM

Pacifico,

When I crossed last week you WERE permitted to turn into the SENTRI lane (and only the SENTRI lane) when approaching from the east.
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2018 at 03:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by philodog  
Pacifico,

When I crossed last week you WERE permitted to turn into the SENTRI lane (and only the SENTRI lane) when approaching from the east.

Thank you, Philodog!

unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2018 at 05:23 PM

I plan to cross at the Mexicali East location. I must go to the Banjercito to get my TIP refund ($300 usd). But after reading this thread, I'm scared to death I'll never be able to get there - seems impossible!

Not even sure the Banjercito is located at the immigration office where FMMs are sold.

Any suggestions? Thx, Rob

[Edited on 3-24-2018 by unbob]

"I'm too young to be this old!"
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2018 at 09:25 AM

There is a Banjercito office in the strip of buildings south of the immigration office. There was a post a while back where someone returned a TIP or a 7-day FMM by making a left turn from the return line at a break in the barriers into the parking area. There was an official at the break to help with crossing the other lines of traffic. But that was before the construction mentioned above, so who knows what you'll find now.
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2018 at 04:15 PM
Bank at Mexicali East

It was in this post from earlier

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=88280#pid1101...

John M

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.