Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Hospitality and friendliness
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 12:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
:O:O:O

A whole lot of assumptions being thrown around in this thread...:no:

True, but what is clear, is that someone was upset about people riding across their land.... This is happening more and more...Remember the attempts the Racers and Ranchers tried at smoothing things over a number of years ago...and failed.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 01:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebeckster  
No fences, no signs where we road in from....a little friendliness goes a long way!

The Beckster, also wrote: " What happened to friendliness and hospitality in Baja?"

I have found that Mexicans, are a lot like Americans.

There are some friendly Americans, and some unfriendly Americans, I even know a few unfriendly Americans on this forum.

So I'm at a lost why you're stereotyping a whole group of people in Baja, based on your one experience of one unfriendly person in Baja, I presume was probably Mexican?

I'm sorry you ran into a jerk, but jerks come in all colors, races, ethnic backgrounds, are population centers.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 01:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
No fences, no signs where we road in from....a little friendliness goes a long way!

The Beckster, also wrote: " What happened to friendliness and hospitality in Baja?"

I have found that Mexicans, are a lot like Americans.

There are some friendly Americans, and some unfriendly Americans, I even know a few unfriendly Americans on this forum.

So I'm at a lost why you're stereotyping a whole group of people in Baja, based on your one experience of one unfriendly person in Baja, I presume was probably Mexican?

I'm sorry you ran into a jerk, but jerks come in all colors, races, ethnic backgrounds, are population centers.

how bout you read the whole thread first?:rolleyes:
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 06:54 PM

Yes....all over the place "getting out there" is getting more difficult with humanity spreading.....

I consider myself a respectful off-roader w/ motos.... I wouldn't want to rip up anybody's property and ride accordingly....as I would not tolerate that if I had land. I sometimes find myself encouraging my ride partners to follow suit ....and some don't listen....and I don't ride with them again.

I feel bad at times in Baja when riding out in the dez....and go off the road/track "to get there from here" across untouched areas....
at home here in BC we are blessed with a lot of areas that are not private land and offer world class riding.

A frequent topic among riders here is "What constitutes trespassing?" Some have said it is okay to be on "gazetted roads"...considered to be public domain....as long as you stay on the established road/trail and don't "cross-country" areas posted "no trespassing".....Signage indicating "Private Property - Keep Out" is clear and I turn around. I have never cut a fence/gate in 43 years of riding.

I have been intercepted by ranchers a few times over the years while riding on established gravel roads (not double-track dirt roads...which I call cowboy roads)...and the rancher comes up with definite attitude and territoriality....which usually dissipates when I take my helmet off and respond respectfully...and invariably the tension subsides, we discuss the area and each other's sense of the rules/decorum....and sometimes have been given info which "cowboy roads" are okay to use....

There are knuckledraggers and there are offroaders....not necessarily the same folks.

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
:O:O:O

A whole lot of assumptions being thrown around in this thread...:no:

True, but what is clear, is that someone was upset about people riding across their land.... This is happening more and more...Remember the attempts the Racers and Ranchers tried at smoothing things over a number of years ago...and failed.

Don't believe everything you think....
bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 08:49 PM

OK Nomads..... Time for me to chime in with a reality check.

On a beautiful afternoon about a week ago, a large and noisy group of motorcyclists came (illegally) tearing up the beach from Punta Marquez and entered our property. They blew past a PRIVADO/NO PASE sign, and were ready to blow past a second PRIVADO/NO PASE sign on their way up to a private residential area when they slowed down and stopped to regroup. I drove out to where they were stopped and the following conversation took place:

Me: Buenos Dias. Espanol o Ingles?

Reply from one rider: English.

Me: Can I help you guys?

By this time one of the riders had got off of his bike and walked over to talk with me. He explained that he had some riders in his group who were in their 60s and he was reluctant to try to ride over or around the rocky point on the beach with them. I agreed with him that that was not a good idea. (It's hard enough to go over that rocky point on foot, let alone ride over it on a motorcycle.) I explained how the group could get back to the coastal road (without going through our property) and continue on their way to Punta Conejo. It was a cordial and civil exchange.

So I am the A**hole in the SUV. (This is the only place on the coast between Marquez and Conejo where there is an impassable rocky point and a gringo in an SUV). We have lived here for over 15 years and chose not to close off the beach with fences, relying on signs, which 99% of beach travellers respect - becksters are mercifully rare, and I have certainly never been called an A**hole on a public forum for protecting our property. My Nomad friends would NOT characterize me as aggressive either. Incidentally, I am a gringA, not the gringo the beckster is telling you about - don't know why - maybe it fits his telenovela better.

In their search for love, friendliness and hospitality, beckster trolls would be better off respecting property - perhaps waiting like a Mexican would, to be invited in. For those of you cross-country explorers who encounter new fences and locked gates, send mental thanks to the becksters, who were surely there before you.

Peace, love and tacos.

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 09:06 PM

Now there's a twist nobody saw coming ........

The plot thickens ????

[Edited on 3-9-2018 by Paco Facullo]
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 09:14 PM

The plot might be thinned out rather than thickened....facts sometimes get in the way of a narrative....

Plots get thicker when false narratives are added....to confuse the truth.....a bit of an issue these days it seems. :light:

Don't believe everything you think....
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 09:32 PM

Thankyou Linda for a very hospitable and friendly reply. Hope the offenders take notice and correct their behavior before they ride again. Too many think that Baja is their private playground and they can do what ever they want.
thebeckster
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 09:40 PM
Hospitality and friendliness

Ah jeeez, you’re killing me!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 10:01 PM

Ah jeeez, you’re killing me!

Hey beckster,
You are an a$$wipe!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 10:48 PM

Hey MT nobody beats you ass wipe just a freak show.
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

Mood: Life is good

[*] posted on 3-9-2018 at 09:58 AM
Tresspassing

Bajalinda you are spot on. We have been permanent residents of Baja for 15 years. We live on the beach and our attitude is live and let live. We have trespassed and been trespassed many times. Our worst encounter was when a quad driver approached our home at 40-50 miles an hour . I politely motioned for him to slow down. He responded by flipping me off. I then tossed a full coke can that hit him in the head and knocked him off the bike. I checked on him to see if he was OK. He was . I then asked him if he had a problem and he said no which was lucky for me as he was bigger.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2018 at 08:10 AM

:o:o:o

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-11-2018 at 09:31 AM

Most roads that have a no trespassing sign are respected. A sign is cheap if anybody keeps going on that road. Coke can in the head great idea good shot.:)
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.