Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 3 Year Rabies Vaccination
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2018 at 08:11 AM
3 Year Rabies Vaccination

Any problems w/ dogs w/ 3 year rabies vaccinations Southbound by road ? I seem to recall that Mexico wants 1 year vaccinations only ?
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2018 at 09:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mojo_norte  
Any problems w/ dogs w/ 3 year rabies vaccinations Southbound by road ? I seem to recall that Mexico wants 1 year vaccinations only ?

Mexico does indeed only recognize 1 year rabies vaccinations.

We have had friends of ours experience issues with the 3 yr vaccines at the Cabo airport.

That being said -

We, personally, have traveled to the East Cape area by road every year for the past 24 years and have NEVER been asked for the dogs health certificates or vaccination records. Let alone ever getting into a discussion of whether the rabies vaccine is good for one year or three years.

We have crossed at San Ysidro, Otay Mesa, and Tecate. No questions about the dogs - EVER.

Good Luck.
toronja
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2018 at 11:50 AM

Official policy changed in the past few years and Mexico will now officially recognize the 3-year vaccine. That said, whether the new rules or old rules will be enforced, who the heck knows. I would expect more reliable and updated enforcement at airports versus land crossings.

As with RnR, we have been making the drive down for 5 years and have yet to be asked about the dogs, though I make sure to carry their paperwork.
greta-inbaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2018 at 10:00 PM

We fly our dog roundtrip, twice a yr , Sfo or San Jose, Ca to San Jose del Cabo on Alaska airlines. We have not had a problem with the 3 yr rabies vaccine. I did have a new problem though about a yr ago. Since it had been more than 30 days since the health certificate from the states, the women at the check-in desk of Alaska air in Mex questioned the certificate and told us the new rule said we needed a new health certificate. We had been down there 2+ mos. She let us go but since then we now get a new certificate from our vet in Mexico. He charges 17.00 USD. When we have driven down we only get asked for papers returning from Mexico.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-10-2018 at 08:10 AM

Although the health certificate is valid for thirty days, the airline requires that they be within ten days. I don't know why, but that is on domestic flights as well.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.