BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Mini Summit (powerline summit?)
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2018 at 10:19 AM
Mini Summit (powerline summit?)

!Made it going down hill!.
Started out with 6 rigs. Two broke down very early so 4 of us continued while the other two went back to San Felipe. We had lunch just after the summit where the road was OK. Then we spent the next 7 hours stacking rocks. winching, and jacking. I got home In El Dorado at 9:30PM. Then I patched up my arm when the tree I cut down fell unexpectedly and got my arm. The low hanging tree was about 6" diameter and was about 4' high above and across the route. This allowed all to pass.
So if anyone wants to do the trail now is the time because we made the darn thing passable. I guess I was the only one with damage physically. All the rigs had superficial body damage and one had suspension damage caused by bad driving. More rocks would result in zero damage to any of the rigs. -- Sigh --
What you need for this serious trail. Minimum 3 Jeeps all with winches to allow help from each other. 32/33" tires and appropriate lift. (Bigger is much better). It can be done without lockers, (and was), but they sure help. Everyone should have a big bottle jack to lift the tire to allow rocks to go under.
This is not the end of this thread because we have lots of pictures to post after we all get together and sort out the stuff. Yes, when we got tired of stacking rocks we took pictures.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2018 at 11:53 AM

That was a rough section even at it's best.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-7-2018 at 03:06 PM

HAAAA trips where I need stack rocks for my 4x4 to pass not needed. I save those for the dirt bike good write up thank you.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2018 at 03:23 PM
track

Our Mini Summit track headed north on Hwy 5 to Clamaty then intercepted the power line and followed it to the summit. Then headed back to hwy 5 at 2 Poles.
The image is from the '1 second' file, but zoomed out for the purpose of showing the whole trip.

[Edited on 3-8-2018 by PaulW]

[Edited on 3-10-2018 by PaulW]
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2018 at 03:33 PM

Some background
The Mini Summit was used by SCORE on the old days. Before hurricane Nora (1997) and has been pretty much dormant since then. There have been several documented trips by moto guys who drove it going west to east. 3 jeeps from San Felipe did the east to west trip and used winches most of the way about 5 years ago.
My records do not document when the last Mini summit was raced.
I found that Murdock Nav has the track on his GPS map so someone with a GPS did make a track at one time. I will ask him what the date was.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-7-2018 at 04:47 PM

How about some photos? This may be right up Ken Cooke's alley?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2018 at 05:34 PM

The west side approach

After the summit

Very narrow passing the wrecked SUV

We all had to follow the leader down this

Rock stacking. All eight of us participated

The last pics before it got very dark.

The overhanging tree

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-7-2018 at 05:55 PM

Oh awesome... maybe even worse than going to Mission Santa Maria or the Pioneer Mine Road!!!???

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2018 at 06:11 PM

Real happy I missed that ride Jeeps are the best
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2018 at 06:24 PM

cutting down trees? no wonder people get peeed at trespassers....and if it was public land...it is illegal.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2018 at 06:37 PM

Dang RTS now your the tree police you have many jobs in Mexico.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2018 at 08:38 PM

No. As someone that likes to take my quad and jeep in the desert...I am jut sensitive to why it is getting harder and harder to do.
PeregrineA1

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 08:37 AM

Wow! I last went over the mini-summit in 1992-93 as a part of the SF 250. Our truck, the pink GMC Jimmy if anyone remembers that pile of feces, got stuck twice going up the north/west side in the sand. We had to chase up to it in my old Datsun pick-up and dig/pull them out. Then we followed on over the top and down the rocks back to the highway (5). It was tough then, but the pics here are impressive. The old Datsun would have a tough time now....
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 08:43 AM

Do you remember the Chevy wreck when in 1992?
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 10:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
No. As someone that likes to take my quad and jeep in the desert...I am jut se nsitive to why it is getting harder and harder to do.
Is it because your in populated area or what . As I'm in north Baja. I make trails every chance I get since 1976 still finding new abandon routes and cow trails. Only sad thing is we had big fires here. Good thing now you can see more abandoned routes. No worries on cutting trees as all burned down. Can not understand how the fires start as no ranchos in the area. Most ranchos burn there old stock wondering if sparks carry for miles.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 10:23 AM

The mini summit was used in the 93 and 94 Baja 1000 as a loop inside the 1000 loop. I believe it was cut as a road for the power line service trucks to use but as mother nature showed her power it soon was put out of commission except for some races and hardy explorers.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 12:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
No. As someone that likes to take my quad and jeep in the desert...I am jut se nsitive to why it is getting harder and harder to do.
Is it because your in populated area or what . As I'm in north Baja. I make trails every chance I get since 1976 still finding new abandon routes and cow trails. Only sad thing is we had big fires here. Good thing now you can see more abandoned routes. No worries on cutting trees as all burned down. Can not understand how the fires start as no ranchos in the area. Most ranchos burn there old stock wondering if sparks carry for miles.

Fire probably started by some trailrider. Believe me, where I live is much less populated than where you live... but anymore we can't just "make trails". We must stick to established trails. It is the "making of trails" that has caused land owners to be a little reticent about people crossing their lands. I believe you posted about problems with landowners you have had in your area. As Ron pointed out, things are changing fast...every year we wonder how much more is going to be cut out of the major races.
rich t
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 12:45 PM

rts551, As for the tree we did it a favor, it was almost dead, it was at the end of the trail and there was no going back up, the trail used to go to the right of the tree but was wiped out by the last big storm, we do not cut trees down for the fun of it, in this case there was no other option to get out and even then it was rough.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 01:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
The mini summit was used in the 93 and 94 Baja 1000 as a loop inside the 1000 loop. I believe it was cut as a road for the power line service trucks to use but as mother nature showed her power it soon was put out of commission except for some races and hardy explorers.

=
Hi Tom,
Your post got me to look again. The result of my research using Murdock for which races crossed the Mini Summit:
SF 250 = ’91, ’92, ’93, and ’94
1000 = ’94
Two of those maps are hard to decipher.
The first documentation Murdock made of GPS use was 2000?

The Power line contractor did build the road and the remaining side roads still exist. They are short spurs that go up the hillside as far as possible
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 02:02 PM
New USR GPS file

I found another pitfall when converting the '1 second' Inreach file to GPX then to USR. The files are huge and the gpx to usr fails. So I cut out the fluff and created a small enough file attached.

As before the reader can use their own tools to create the smaller GPS and KML files for their own use.

Attachment: Mini Summit R.usr (52kB)
This file has been downloaded 258 times
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.