BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Mini Summit (powerline summit?)
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 06:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
No. As someone that likes to take my quad and jeep in the desert...I am jut se nsitive to why it is getting harder and harder to do.
Is it because your in populated area or what . As I'm in north Baja. I make trails every chance I get since 1976 still finding new abandon routes and cow trails. Only sad thing is we had big fires here. Good thing now you can see more abandoned routes. No worries on cutting trees as all burned down. Can not understand how the fires start as no ranchos in the area. Most ranchos burn there old stock wondering if sparks carry for miles.

Fire probably started by some trailrider. Believe me, where I live is much less populated than where you live... but anymore we can't just "make trails". We must stick to established trails. It is the "making of trails" that has caused land owners to be a little reticent about people crossing their lands. I believe you posted about problems with landowners you have had in your area. As Ron pointed out, things are changing fast...every year we wonder how much more is going to be cut out of the major races.
The fires where never started by trail rider as no trails there because of heavy brush. After fire I did in fact make new trails with owner permission. Only problems we have had here is the one that takes over 60 motos on a ride. He ruins it for all I keep my trails secret as there on Friends Ranchos. So yes I do make trails all the time but not on property of stranger. Since I'm local I know every rancho owner. Still I'm amazed that I can come up with new routes all the time. Where I ride there is nobody after 20 years. On one trail saw the owner on horse back he was happy to see us. To get a candy bar and cold water.:)
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 06:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
The mini summit was used in the 93 and 94 Baja 1000 as a loop inside the 1000 loop. I believe it was cut as a road for the power line service trucks to use but as mother nature showed her power it soon was put out of commission except for some races and hardy explorers.

=
Hi Tom,
Your post got me to look again. The result of my research using Murdock for which races crossed the Mini Summit:
SF 250 = ’91, ’92, ’93, and ’94
1000 = ’94
Two of those maps are hard to decipher.

Paul which maps are hard to decipher? I may have the original maps and course notes from when we raced it. My son and I did the SF 250 in 91 and my team did the 92 to 94 and the 1000 in 94.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 09:18 PM

95 1000 has confusing arrows for mini summit
91 250 is hand drawn ant we think it uses the Mini summit
The notes might help. Your take?
I have checked all the 1000 & 250 Murdock maps from 89 thru 97. I think that covers the list. I did not look at the notes.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2018 at 12:27 PM

The 91 SF250 went down the mini summit shown as RM152 on the map.
The course notes are as follows:
RM150 Begin climb of mini summit.
RM153 Caution-descending mini summit.
RM156 Bottom of mini summit.
RM158 On powerline road.
RM162.3 Check Point 6, turn off powerline road (double checkpoint).

The 1995 Baja 1000 is a huge paper map that covers 8 pages of normal paper. It started at the Lucerna Hotel in TJ and went down the La Rumorosa grade.

From the course notes:
RM273.3 Left turn onto powerline road to mini summit.
Rm280.2 Top of mini summit.
RM282.2 Back on powerline road.
RM293.3 Cross Zoo road.

Interesting note, in the 91 SF250 race the mini summit was 3 miles long but in the 95 Baja 1000 race it was only 2 miles long. I guess it could be as to where the actual reference points were made.

Also the actual paper map of the 95 1000 shows the course crossing Hwy 3 at Borrego with an arrow onto the powerline road then the next map section shows an arrow before the Zoo road. It doesn't actually show the mini summit. Only the notes explain it.

[Edited on 3-9-2018 by TMW]
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 3-9-2018 at 05:36 PM

Tom, Excellent - Thanks
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2018 at 07:26 PM

I had no idea there was any good rock crawling down there! I need to load up my scrambler and come hangout!
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 4-10-2018 at 07:47 AM

Historical info of past Mini summit crossings
Races with associated with related pre-running
Races: 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994 San Felipe 250, 1994 Baja 1000
Then Hurricane Nora came in Sept 1997
The interval between 1995 and 1997 is unknown to me.
Based on local contacts here are other notable crossings.
Since Nora several bike guys have done the crossing down hill
In the winter of 2012 several Jeeps crossed going uphill with extensive use of winches.
In the winter of 2018 4 Jeeps made the crossing going downhill. Minimal winch use needed as compared to 2012.
IMO, based on my trip - Now the crossing should be passable for bikes and UTVs and similar rigs using large tire. Help from others doing the same thing would be required. High clearance is necessary for any rig. Still I would think a winch would be good insurance, because there are really large holes that a rig can fall into in the difficult places.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2018 at 09:37 AM

Thanks PaulW and TMW for the great info. I remember racing over that in probably '91 and it was not bouldery at all, at least not what you guys had to traverse. The photos tell all -- wow.

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 4-10-2018 at 10:01 AM

THAT'S NO road !

Looks more like a dry stream bed ? Way too much work for me to have fun...

But, have at it Boy's......

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2018 at 10:51 AM

Back in the day going down was not to much trouble but going up was a real pain in the a**.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-10-2018 at 11:13 AM

those pictures make rock crawling look like work. if you are going to do physical work, why not do something more enjoyable like mt bike, hike up a mtn or go kayaking?
spending all day stacking rocks in the canyon bottom sounds like a wasted day!

if you really want to spend all day stacking rocks, I got a backyard that needs a new retaining wall

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 4-10-2018 at 12:32 PM

Those kind of roads are not much fun on a bike either. How much of it was in the dark? Any rattlesnakes?
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 4-10-2018 at 02:45 PM

One rig slid off the rock and we had to anchor off to the side and winch him back in place. That took a significant amount of time even though it was twilight at that time. It got dark when he got past his problem. In the dark 3 or 4 people holding flashlights were used for tire placement. Of course I was last and it was very dark. Too dark to see snakes if there were any.
A trip to remember for sure.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.