Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bike Tires for Baja
BFS
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2018 at 12:30 PM
Bike Tires for Baja

Hi all,
I have a WR250 that needs new tires (18" rear, 21" front) and I thought I would ask here to the hugely experienced riders. I ride mostly hard pack dirt and some single track and not really that fast. Just love ripping up into the southern Sierra when time allows and do mostly of 3-4 hour days. I live here full-time so a little hard to go tire shopping.
I have tried searching on the site for recommendations and see that Michelin Desert Race tires are recommended highly. Man they are expensive! What other recommendations from you experts?
Thank you so much in advance.

blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 3-7-2018 at 12:43 PM

bajatrailrider swears by the Pirelli mt43 for the rear, Me personally I like the Pirelli scorpion XC 140 80 18 rear. I ride an even mix of desert sand ect.. and muddy root bound single track in the Rockies lower the psi to 6 or 7 and they get traction anywhere

dirt-bike-smiley-emoticon.gif - 43kB

So understand dont waste your time always searching for those wasted years
face up and make your stand and realize that your living in the golden years
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-7-2018 at 01:32 PM

My suggestion is that a "hard terrain/desert" type of tire is what is good for Baja. I think "durability" is the issue in Baja more than "softer rubber traction" concerns. Ultra-heavy (4mm) tubes and Slime help prevent/moderate pinch flats and cactus spines.

There is never the perfect tire....Always carry 21" spare (fits both wheels), 3 tire irons, and proven hand pump/CO2 cartridge kit....and patches and glue....and know how to use them :light:

You will get a range of advice here...

Don't believe everything you think....
wyatthurley55
Junior Nomad

Mood: Craving Pacifico

[*] posted on 3-7-2018 at 02:35 PM

I run the Dunlop D606 front and rear on my Xr400. Rode to Cabo from Tecate in the fall and still have the tire on my bike with over half tread.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-7-2018 at 02:36 PM

What I like about the MT43 lasts easy 5 times longer then Knobby tire. The desert race tires for single track suck but good for hi speed dirt road. Ture never perfect tire on the 21in tube for spare not good idea on long ride. As always blows out then you change twice only works short distance. If I'm alone I carry both 21 and 18. When we group ride each carries one 21 the other a 18. If we are on DM then each carries 21/18. I can see why BW likes the Scorpion in the Rockies riding mud. I keep a spare rear wheel knobby mounted with sprocket and brake disk. In the rare case its real muddy . After 2 1/2 years it is still in garage waiting for mud.
MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2018 at 08:27 PM

MT 21 front, D606 rear for the rockpile rides here in centro baja. Rear outlasts the front with me on the gas! Only one pinch flat banging around the rockpiles down here for over 10 years. Been on roads that aren't there anymore with this combo on my 600R Honda.

For your lighter bike could work, but the other reccs here are good as well. I agree, Mich deserts may be overkill for your riding style.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 07:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wyatthurley55  
I run the Dunlop D606 front and rear on my Xr400. Rode to Cabo from Tecate in the fall and still have the tire on my bike with over half tread.

what he said. i like the 606 due to the reality of having to ride on pavement to connect the trails we ride. they last a long time and perform well.
BFS
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 07:59 AM

Thanks for all the help everyone.
I am def. a novice so appreciate all the advice.
And now to go shopping...

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 06:29 PM

also the MT43 is Dot legal works very well riding pavement to trail. If your not a hard core single track rider. Then you don't need the MT43 as any knob works on a dirt road. The secret is what PSI you run with your brand tire.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 3-9-2018 at 06:55 AM

Only downfall of the MT43 is not being able to steer with the throttle as easily as a knobby. Too much traction. lol

Great tire easily last me twice as long as a knobby with no chunking.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2018 at 07:46 PM

I've run a couple of motoz tires in Baja with good luck. Worked good in all conditions and wore very good.
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2018 at 10:27 AM

MotoZ has a range of tires in their stable....I use the HT (Hard Terrain) Tractionator rear tire on my 450 and 690 in Baja. it is a "tougher" tire (sidewalls and skookum knob design) than the MT43...but no discredit to the MT43.

The MotoZ is noisy on pavement...

Front tires in Baja are less of an issue, but I tend to use a Mitas C23 on front...DOT enduro tire...I like a hard rubber case for Baja.

Back home on singletrack I use MT23 rear on 450 and Michelin S12 or M12 on front...different shoes for different dances :)

A friend in Vancouver (Colin) owns a great tire and etc shop and is a primary Mitas dealer....
http://www.mx1canada.com/

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2018 at 07:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Only downfall of the MT43 is not being able to steer with the throttle as easily as a knobby. Too much traction. lol

Mike is a ex champ flat tracker pro it was a hard sell the mt43. After he had to push his bike up hill and we rode up. He now likes the MT43 Of course we don't ride moto trails . More like foot path or no path. What would you call it Ed:)
ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2018 at 07:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Quote: Originally posted by ehall  

Mike is a ex champ flat tracker pro it was a hard sell the mt43. After he had to push his bike up hill and we rode up. He now likes the MT43 Of course we don't ride moto trails . More like foot path or no path. What would you call it Ed:)

I would call them cow paths. Cows help make a lot of single track. Sleeping bag trail comes to mind.
blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 3-12-2018 at 07:17 PM

Ive seen your youtube vids I call it bush wackin:biggrin:

So understand dont waste your time always searching for those wasted years
face up and make your stand and realize that your living in the golden years
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2018 at 12:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by blackwolfmt  

Do you have a link....or is it home movies?

ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2018 at 05:00 AM

https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1253742-riding-with-red... bunch of videos in this thread. Skip to the 3rd page. All posted in HD

[Edited on 3-13-2018 by ehall]
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2018 at 08:41 AM

Muy bueno....gracias :cool:

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2018 at 08:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by blackwolfmt  
You have the right name bush wackin I don't use that name. As to not mix up bush wacker trail 1 /2/ 3. I like to travel off the beaten path hard to think some routes where roads many years ago.:)

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.