Author: Subject: $100/month
sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2018 at 08:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
Yeah, come on over.

Quote: Originally posted by sanquintinsince73  
When I see a nice tree like that one, I have visions of relaxing in its shade, burning some beef, and sucking on three or nine Pacificos.

Now, now, nine Pacificos in a night is NOT within your retirement budget!!!

I figure maybe I can drink Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays allotments in one sitting.
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2018 at 10:41 PM

Electricity consumption... I seem to remember that if you exceed the first tier (the cheap rate), you go to the next tier, which is expensive. The kicker is you stay at that expensive rate for a full year. Learn how to read your electric meter to stay below the magic number.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-9-2018 at 11:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by KasloKid  
Electricity consumption... I seem to remember that if you exceed the first tier (the cheap rate), you go to the next tier, which is expensive. The kicker is you stay at that expensive rate for a full year. Learn how to read your electric meter to stay below the magic number.

Thank you! I will study this for sure.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2018 at 11:32 PM

I just picked up a place in San Quintin as well - (2) 30' trailers on a large lot - electicity & water included for $300/mo. I am in the process of moving my brother into one of the units and the other one is for my getaway.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-10-2018 at 12:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 55steve  
I just picked up a place in San Quintin as well - (2) 30' trailers on a large lot - electicity & water included for $300/mo. I am in the process of moving my brother into one of the units and the other one is for my getaway.

Nice thanks.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2018 at 07:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by KasloKid  

Thank you! I will study this for sure.

Here is the CFE price structure, to my understanding -

The electric rates/billing are charged in three tiers.

The first two tiers are subsidized rates well below the true cost of electricity production. The third tier is the actual cost of production to CFE.

The subsidies are quite significant. The subsidy on the first tier exceeds 80%, the second tier is about 70%. The third, unsubsidized, tier is quite expensive compared to most US rates.

If you go into the third tier for twelve consecutive months, you will pay the third tier unsubsidized rate for all electricity used on subsequent bills. This continues until your consumption remains below the third tier level for twelve consecutive months. A good way to avoid this vicious cycle is to just leave Mexico for a month per year and let your consumption be minimal for one billing cycle per annum.

Rates and tier levels vary across Mexico. It depends on the climate and the local cost of production. Bajs Sur rates are high because most generation is from diesel. Mainland rates may be lower because some areas have significant hydropower generation. La Paz is developing large solar installations so the rates may change in the future if solar turns out to be more economical than diesel.
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2018 at 08:37 AM

Lights, 2 refrigerators, tv, stereo, computer, device chargers, ceiling fans all run for < 100 pesos/month.
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2018 at 11:45 AM

I found my little piece of Paridise.

Looks like an Infonavit development but either way it is a locals dominant development. Go for it!

Calling that place home you will be living with the locals and will get a taste of life in Baja you would not be exposed to living in a walled, gated expat colony.

You will learn Spanish quicker and and my guess is you will meet some great people in the barrio. Always say yes to the coffee invitation from your neighbors. You will learn more about your neighbors and their families at the afternoon coffee tables than you could ever learn in any book or forum.

Good luck!

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2018 at 02:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Jorge  
I found my little piece of Paridise.

Looks like an Infonavit development but either way it is a locals dominant development. Go for it!

Calling that place home you will be living with the locals and will get a taste of life in Baja you would not be exposed to living in a walled, gated expat colony.

You will learn Spanish quicker and and my guess is you will meet some great people in the barrio. Always say yes to the coffee invitation from your neighbors. You will learn more about your neighbors and their families at the afternoon coffee tables than you could ever learn in any book or forum.

Good luck!

+1

I love my neighbors. I could not imagine my life here without my new friends.
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2018 at 12:44 PM

looks inviting, with a little elbow grease it can become a very nice home, nice area, I wish you well.
and yes keep us in the loop

oh forgot,, if you have read O'Gradys blog about moving to Mexico
its no uncommon, that the Kitchen and maybe the bath room
will have the cabinets removed, need to check thst out.
the first place they moved to with out seeing it,, the Kitchen was bare,, you might be renting a shell in the house

[Edited on 3-13-2018 by desertcpl]

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2018 at 11:32 PM

Propane in setups like this: 2 options.

1) Permanent horizontal tank. Tanker truck comes to fill it up - not just for you, there are usually other people around needing it too. More upfront costs, can't say about benefits compared to #2:

2) A couple (or 3) upright cilindros, 30 or 45 kg each (don't remember how this translates into gallons). 45 is fatter and heavier, same height as 30. A different truck comes to exchange empty for full ones. You pay upfront deposit for 3 empty tanks, and then pay when refilling. Put some chain and padlock on cilindro, it does have a value.

With #2 having an automatic regulator is a must https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Propane-Double-Stage-Auto-C... You connect 2 tanks, and it will switch from empty tank to full when the time comes. No need to interrupt the dinner.

Electricity rates use sliding scale, read it up on CFE official site or gringo sites. In a nutshell, you could pay few bucks a month if all you have is lights and TV, or several hundred a month is you run AC or indulge yourself in electrical heating. I think they apply higher rate towards the whole year, based on your consumption in previous year.

$300 on top of rent - probably, barely. Mex seniors card also gives discount on those big shiny buses going North (or South).
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2018 at 10:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by desertcpl  

looks inviting, with a little elbow grease it can become a very nice home, nice area, I wish you well.
and yes keep us in the loop

oh forgot,, if you have read O'Gradys blog about moving to Mexico
its no uncommon, that the Kitchen and maybe the bath room
will have the cabinets removed, need to check thst out.
the first place they moved to with out seeing it,, the Kitchen was bare,, you might be renting a shell in the house

One of the first houses we looked at before buying was decorated really nice. My wife said something about how nice the cabinets and blinds looked and they told us "oh no, we need those for the new house". They were also taking the pila, pump, stove and refer. They were sellind a bare shell.
chumlee57
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2018 at 05:01 PM

Congrats on the little slice of paradise, you will like San Q, its got a great year round tempreture, if you like it a little on the chilly side. Not too far from the border should you need to scoot back across and some of the best seafood in Baja, not to mention the awesome year round bottom fishing, buenos suerte, stay thirsty my friend
bledito
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2018 at 11:46 AM

yep it's a cinder block box hot as hell in the summer cold at night in the winter. will probabally need to rewire the place, copper tends to disappear. as well as toilets, sinks, fixtures, well everything. allow for cost to buy fix replace everything, recoat the roof etc.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-15-2018 at 11:59 AM

NOW! Theres a positive thinker....

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2018 at 12:15 PM

and crackheads next door and those dang bedbugs..:lol:

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-15-2018 at 12:44 PM

Hi everyone.

Still doing it.
Stuck in Washington for a bit longer.
I would love to be on a Baja beach by May 1.
I hope it rains good until I get there. Then I want to see the green and flower explosion than can occur in the dessert.
Until then, it's a sunny warmish day here so I will go stare at Puget Sound and maybe it's warm enough to work on my tan.
Retirement gets more mellow everyday.
Dreaming of Baja always...

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 3-15-2018 at 01:03 PM

Fishy, if I had a green flower explosion in my dessert.... :o I'd order sumpin' else! :biggrin:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-15-2018 at 02:44 PM

Hi everyone.

Still doing it.
Stuck in Washington for a bit longer.
I would love to be on a Baja beach by May 1.
I hope it rains good until I get there. Then I want to see the green and flower explosion than can occur in the dessert.
Until then, it's a sunny warmish day here so I will go stare at Puget Sound and maybe it's warm enough to work on my tan.
Retirement gets more mellow everyday.
Dreaming of Baja always...

you seem to be unable to make decisions, so how did you ever decide to be tied down owning a home in san quintin?
you should buy a 5th wheel or Class A RV, and hit the open road, and live wherever your whims take you...
stay mobile and you can chase the sun.

p.s. why leave the NW in May? that's just about the time the weather turns good!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-16-2018 at 03:41 PM

I don't think he is going anyplace....

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.