BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Parking at Tecate crossing.
Mudder

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 09:33 AM
Parking at Tecate crossing.

I’m planning my route from Vancouver, BC to Cabo, and plan to cross at Tecate. It’s been recommended that it is best to park on the US side, and walk across, to obtain a FMM. This seems a little awkward (back & forth), but, I am happy to go with the collective knowledge of the this site. Can anyone coment on this strategy, and/or good places to park? I’m driving a full sized pickup with a 16’ trailer.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 09:57 AM

Because of one-way streets in Tecate (Mexico), it is a little odd parking near the border gate (where the INM office is to get FMMs).

The first cross street is one-way to the left... but the small parking area for the border offices is to the right. If you are lucky, street parking will be found as you make that left turn... Otherwise, going to the left to the next cross street: it is a right and another right... go two blocks to make a right and another right to be at the parking slots for the border.

Tecate (USA) is very small... just a few businesses on the one street heading to Mexico. Park along a street or in a pay parking area, perhaps? I am sure others will come along with better details.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 10:00 AM

Tecate California is hardly a metropolis
Probably has the total population somewhere in the range on one city block of Vancouver
Once you are there you will understand
Parking on the main street within two blocks of the border is easy.
We re-group our traveling gang each year, northbound, parking 6 or 7 vehicles, some with boats and trailers, along the street and never have had a problem finding space.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 12:09 PM

where is the MAP???

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 12:15 PM

Now that's funny! So David, what's up with that?

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 12:36 PM

IMHO:

I feel you can park within 100' of the Mexico border on the US side. Then walk to the immigration office, get your permit (FMM), walk back to your vehicle, on the US side, then cross in your vehicle back to Mexico. I have never done it, but I have crossed there many times and it seems doable.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 12:40 PM

...but mudder is a Canadian not an American...it might now be a good idea for him

our website is:
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 01:02 PM
First, take a clean sheet of paper

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
where is the MAP???

Now draw a straight horizontal line across the middle.... that is the border

Now, draw a straight vertical line down the middle.
The upper half clearly represents all you need to know about Tecate.

Voila.... instant map
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 01:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
where is the MAP???

Now draw a straight horizontal line across the middle.... that is the border

Now, draw a straight vertical line down the middle.
The upper half clearly represents all you need to know about Tecate.

Voila.... instant map

Oh, thank you. I can rest now knowing the map work is done!
Tell the judge that I still have and wear the Baja Vida hat he gave me.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 01:48 PM

...so you don't have a map of tecate : )

our website is:
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 02:00 PM

I crossed with a 22 ft TT went to the first right turn and then down 2 blocks to a left where I found a spot at the curb to park. Walked back to the border and got all my papers taken care of there. Walked 2 blocks back to the rig and drove off. No big deal.

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
Beagle
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 04:21 PM

We took our Tacoma across last summer Tecate. No one was around. Truck was packed with Furniture and household stuff. Finally a guy eating ice cream came up and asked if all that stuff was for "camping". We kinda nodded. He was cool with it and pointed at what door to stamp the FMM at. We bought them ahead of time with Discover Baja because we're like that. Another dude gave us directions to park. Directed us straight one block, take a right, then the next right and then the next, making a box basically back to the same intersection and parking on that side street where a dude moved a cone for us. Went in and stamped and then back out in 5 min. Super easy. We stressed about it for a long time before, asked a lot of questions here with patient Nomads and that's how it turned out. Then headed down the Valle de Guadalupe to link up with 1 and got to San Quintin that night for the first leg. Have fun. It should be easy!

[Edited on 3-8-2018 by Beagle]
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 05:14 PM

Mudder, it depends on what you're driving. If you are pulling a trailer or 5th wheel it's a little more complicated to find U.S. parking. If you're in a car or truck only, no problemas. Pay a couple bucks in any of the lots on the right as you approach the border. The FMM office is immediately on your right as you walk through the turnstile gate (just past the kiosk you pay to validate). Cambio shops abound, good 30 minute stretch break. Once you have your FMM you cross the street to the south, walk up the pathway back into the U.S.A., present your passport and back in your rig.... E Z - peasy.

If you're towing, the last time I went through there was a lot on the far-upper end (away from the border) with a lot big enough to accommodate my 28' 5th wheel. Farther walk, but a good stretch break.

Once through the border WATCH YOUR SPEED and stop at ALL stop signs and signals. Tecate is known for the 'gringo shakedown'. Don't get conned into paying into it. I've been lit up a half dozen times, and never paid a 'ticket' yet. Oh boy, that aughta light up this thread, huh.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 05:21 PM

...so you don't have a map of tecate : )

Maybe you are referring to the Google Earth maps I made showing how to return the free 7-Day FMM at Tecate?

I guess it being the same place as where you get the FMM, that would work?

At the border, you pull over and park as soon as possible and walk to the INM office/ desk. There you obtain the FMM Tourist Card and you must have a valid passport to get one. The cost is 500 pesos (~$30US) and valid for up to 180 days. If less than 7 nights in Mexico, you can get a FREE FMM, but it must be returned when you exit Mexico.
If flying out, they collect them when you board the plane, typically. The 180-day FMM is multiple use for land travel, one trip only for air travel.

NOTE: different border agents will often have different versions of the rules. Viva Mexico!

TECATE UP CLOSE:

The green circle is where I parked, a block east of the entrance street into Mexico. The blue arrows is my walking path to the INM office. You walk across the street you entered Mexico on, enter the building (INM) and the red arrows are going back to my truck. There are turnstiles entering and exiting the border office area.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 05:57 PM

there you go...excellent

our website is:
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 06:36 PM

boy oh boy! He must have thought you were very refined campers

that is a good story!

I think you will be fine whether you park before the border or after it. Howz that for good advice ?

Have a wonderful trip down.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 07:28 PM

Whew!!!! A lot of words for a pretty simple issue.
If only life were as simple as finding parking in Tecate California the makers of Valium would be out of business

And paying for parking in Tecate California is tantamount to buying sand and salt water on a Baja Pacific Coast beach.

Moving right along folks....
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2018 at 07:28 AM
Parking Alternative

The Potrero County Park is 10 minutes away from the Tecate crossing. There is ample day parking and a campground with tent camping and RV sites with water and electricity in a beautiful setting. We arrive in the afternoon, get a campsite, unhook and get set up. It's a really good place to stretch out and relax.

Then we head over to the crossing, park on the US aside, walk to the Mexican side and get the paperwork done. Then we walk back across to the US, drive back and pick-up a few things at the lovely little general store near the turn-off to the park. There is a museum, taco stand, a historic train place, beautiful scenery, general store and gas station near Campo. As much as I love our mobile condo, is liberating to be free of it to do a bit of sight-seeing and re-stocking.

I purchase our tourist permits on line at Discover Baja. Some will argue that this is more expensive and no more convenient, but this November our friends had to wait an hour during a weekday afternoon for someone to come to the bank while we were back at camp enjoying a hike through the hills.

We have parked very early in the morning just past the border gates on the Tecate side with a 24' trailer. For a first-timers with no Spanish, we got very lucky navigating through Tecate, even with maps and GPS.

The first parking lot on the right before the border crossing was open in February we have not tried it, Google Earth shows good access for an RV. We have a secret parking method, but I'd have to relinquish my cheap Canadian reputation if I revealed it!

The familiarity of Canadian & US driving and navigation standards melt away when you cross, so if you want an adventure to remember, trying to find a parking spot across the border could be the start!

Hope you enjoy the trip...it's gonna be amazing!

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.