BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Tipping at gas stations?
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2018 at 09:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by micah202  
Quote: Originally posted by chumlee57  
gotta say, I never tip unless they do the windows, and 10 -20 pesos as well...sometimes when a guy ( or girl ) really spit shines the windows I'll get pretty generous, the guy in San Ignacio that also sells the date bread always seems to take a good bit of pride in cleaning the windows

....omGawrsh... hadn't realize I qualify for 'cheap gringo' status. :wow:

didn't tip once at Pemex, unless windows were washed, then ~5 peso's each for front or back.
Groceries,,,, usually 5-10 pesos

Restaurants that serve tables,,,, ~10%

Not bad for a canadian:lol:
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-11-2018 at 09:12 AM
Do locals tip for their gasoline?

And does anyone tip north of the border at the rare station that pumps the gas for you?

I am going to start asking the folks I come in contact with here in Bahia Asuncion if they tip for gas, and will bump this again when I have some answers.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 3-11-2018 at 10:16 AM
So Rare ?

That ( in the U.S.) they're nearly extinct ?

I haven't run across a station in El Norte with attendants pumping gas (other than as required by law for the disabled) in (at least) fifteen years or so, but maybe there are some up in the major cities. I wouldn't know.

Back when I would have my propane tanks filled at the Chevron station, I did tip the attendants for that service. They were usually surprised and always accepted.

On the other hand, when I started filling my tanks at the propane dealer and (now) at the local welding supply, at both locations they (politely) refused a tip when offered.

The BEST rule to follow IS:

ALWAYS offer a tip whenever someone provides a service judged to be worthy. Err in favor of the offer. Even if refused, one is better for making the effort.

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2018 at 11:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
And does anyone tip north of the border at the rare station that pumps the gas for you?

I am going to start asking the folks I come in contact with here in Bahia Asuncion if they tip for gas, and will bump this again when I have some answers.

I'm always traveling with Mexicans from Sonora on my Baja trips. Hell yes they tip at gas stations.

[Edited on 3-11-2018 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2018 at 11:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  

In Oregon and NJ it's required by law.

Oregon is changing a little:

"In Oregon a law passed by the Legislature in May 2017 and signed into law by Gov. Kate Brown in June will allow Oregon counties with 40,000 residents or less to deviate and allow for customers to pump their own fuel between the hours of 6pm to 6am. Essentially after normal hours of operation. The new law went to effect January 1, 2018."

[Edited on 3-11-2018 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 3-11-2018 at 11:15 AM

Tipping is an interesting situation.

I almost always tip at say a Starbucks or sandwich shop or likewise type of take out restaurant but almost have never left a tip at a fast food place or drive through window. They don't have tip jars but that shouldn't stop me from spreading some of my good fortune. Here is someone working, not on some type of government assistance and they get stiffed. Don't they deserve a tip in the same way the other cashiers does? They probably make less money and still the drive through people probably don't get tipped. I might have to re-think this whole tipping thing.

What do you people in Oregon do at the gas stations where they are required to pump the gas for you?

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2018 at 01:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  

The BEST rule to follow IS:

ALWAYS offer a tip whenever someone provides a service judged to be worthy. Err in favor of the offer. Even if refused, one is better for making the effort.

Sage advice😁

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 3-11-2018 at 02:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

I have motorcycled with Mexican friends who tip at gas stations. They were fairly affluent. In general they tip 10% at restaurants just like Canadians.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-11-2018 at 02:13 PM

Ancient History:
I pumped gas (and was a mechanic) working at a gas station in Escondido (1979) and would get a tip now and then... ;)

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2018 at 02:30 PM

I worked at a gas station in the Washington DC area for about a year in 1967/68 pumping gas and nobody ever tipped me or offered to. I also did not expect a tip.
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2018 at 04:11 PM

I round up, usually give a 20-30 peso tip as long as the service is good, and there are no games with change.
GypsyJan
Nomad

Mood: "If a dog will not come to you after looking you in the face, examine your conscience." Woodrow W

[*] posted on 3-11-2018 at 04:39 PM
The Local Standard

OK, I am probably going to get flamed again, but my local girlfriend who drives me into Rosarito every week for shopping and errands, insists that I tip five pesos to the attendant at the parking lot and at the Pemex.

Everyone seems happy with that, and I tip ten pesos to the person who bags my groceries.

But I see them at least twice a week and the social interaction seems almost as important as the tip.
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2018 at 07:02 PM

Flamed for what?
I go to the grocery store 1 or 2 times a week.
single guy.
I never have more than one bag.
The bagger is a friends kid or parent. 5 or 6 pesos and everybody is happy, and yes we always talk for some time before I leave.
chumlee57
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2018 at 08:41 PM

don't want to state the obvious that every mexican national already knows, but canadians are notorious for being rather cheap with the tipping / propina's...not my observation, just what i've been told by the locals in the Mulege area, kind of a shame but I think it's a culture thing
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-11-2018 at 09:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chumlee57  
don't want to state the obvious that every mexican national already knows, but canadians are notorious for being rather cheap with the tipping / propina's...not my observation, just what i've been told by the locals in the Mulege area, kind of a shame but I think it's a culture thing

Most stereotypes are wrong.

Got any stereotypes to share about Mexicans, Jews, Koreans, or Japanese?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

BeemerDan
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2018 at 02:06 AM

Most stereotypes are wrong.

Got any stereotypes to share about Mexicans, Jews, Koreans, or Japanese?[/rquote]

I'll share, I hate Goats, Mostly Nanny Goats from hell, They should be eaten, and not heard.
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2018 at 09:22 AM

Pemex employees garner scant wages, always tip, as well as no waged old folks bagging groceries, etc.......
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 3-12-2018 at 10:36 AM
Stereotypical ASSUMPTIONS ................

...............Are (of course) meaningless in individual applications, BUT are usually rooted in varying degrees of "group" observation and validation.

Therein lies the problem. Like many other prejudices, people will observe, remember and cite those actions which support the stereotype and ignore or forget the examples which don't.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-12-2018 at 10:51 AM

So, Canadians really don't say "Eh?" after every question, or statement, eh?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 3-12-2018 at 01:50 PM

5 for fuel. 5 more if they clean the windows.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.