Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Millennials and Todos Santos
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2018 at 08:39 AM
Millennials and Todos Santos

I just came across this article in "Travel Pulse" about a younger generation's attraction to Todos Santos. My first thought was "What the hell is an Xennial?" Next, I don't recall seeing Todos Santos overrun with 20 and 30-somethings, but rather older gringos like me, people whose kids are millennials. Is this a phenomenon I've missed in the past year?

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-10-2018 at 09:00 AM

Most minor publications like this pay their writers peanuts, perhaps $100 for a fluff travel article like this.
It reads like the writer never visited, just read some stuff on the internet, wrote some fluffy nonsense,...

[Edited on 3-10-2018 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-10-2018 at 09:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

It reads like the writer never visited, just read some stuff on the internet, wrote some fluffy nonsense,...[Edited on 3-10-2018 by mtgoat666]

You're probably right! The internet has given us virtual travelers that think research can replace experience.

I have read fluff pieces about Alaska that were obviously written (or edited) by someone who has never been there. These travel articles often contain grossly inaccurate information, tired clichés, and supporting photos that I recognize landmarks that are hundreds of miles away from the subject area!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
tobias
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2018 at 09:37 AM

I am in Todos Santos again this year and while I would not say its over run , there is a large presence of young people. They seem to fall into two camps, scraggly van life surfer types and wealthy fashionistas.
The former mix happily with the older surfers at la pastora, the latter seem to hang out in La Esquina in the morning and stay at the new fancy hotel on Punta Lobos.
Last night there was a wedding party there with very few people over 30.
Vogue magazine had a similar article last year. Many of the females seem to be models, or in that type of scene. Last year I heard it was just a big photo shoot but they seem to still be here.

Also remember that CSU has a campus here of some sort
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 3-10-2018 at 10:58 AM

it is a concerted effort by the tourism board to attract younger visitors. You can only achieve that, when you claim that there is already a strong presence of millennials. So, the article is paid propaganda

Harald Pietschmann
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2018 at 11:08 AM

And then there is the eye catching factor. A small covey of attractive young people is more noticeable than a larger gaggle of us gray heads!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2018 at 01:10 PM

It certainly makes more sense as a travel brochure than as an informative article. And the desire to attract young artisanal mezcal scenesters also rings true. Why reach out to the people who already visit regularly?

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2018 at 02:35 PM

Todos is discovered regularly by different writers describing a scene that is not connected to reality. 20 years ago, the area was being marketed as the Malibu of Baja, Santa Fe of the Peninsula, artist colony for the well heeled. Kinda like The Hotel California will wink at the idea The Eagles were writing about them.

Pescadero is the Nuevo Todos.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2018 at 08:20 PM

Thinking about it - too much, I might add - there's no such thing as an "undiscovered paradise".

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2018 at 08:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
Thinking about it - too much, I might add - there's no such thing as an "undiscovered paradise".

I learned as a kid what happens when you take a friend to your secrete fishing hole!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.