Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: ? about E32 maps
chippy
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 3-10-2018 at 04:52 PM
? about E32 maps

Any good? Any body use them with a Garmin Nuvi (compatible according to their website)? I´m going into the Copper Canyon (choix tubares batopilas) and want some back up to google maps.

Thanks for any insight.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2018 at 05:52 PM

It is an excellent map for Baja and all of Mexico. I have a NUVI-52LM that I have it loaded into. I also trace a lot of trails on Google Earth and convert them to GPX and load them into the NUVI with Garmin BaseCamp. Easy to do once you know how. I can send you the instructions if you need them.
chippy
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 3-10-2018 at 07:38 PM

Thank you TMW. I would like to know how! Please send them.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2018 at 08:33 PM

Back Country Navigator crushes ALL stand alone GPS units.

Trust me on this one fellows. I've had countless GPS for boats and bikes over the years.

In 2018 if you are still using a dedicated GPS device you are in the stone ages.

MotionX is a decent app; Back Country is bad ass.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

chippy
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 3-11-2018 at 06:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Back Country Navigator crushes ALL stand alone GPS units.

Trust me on this one fellows. I've had countless GPS for boats and bikes over the years.

In 2018 if you are still using a dedicated GPS device you are in the stone ages.

MotionX is a decent app; Back Country is bad ass.

JZ
I have BCN on my tablet. Tried using it a couple of times and it was to complicated for me (being tech tonto) I could never figure out a simple way to put routes in. Is there a way to do a town to town route or does everything have to be entered as lat/long?
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2018 at 07:49 AM

i have traveled that area a lot. i have taken wrong turns, got lost numerous times. if you get far enough off the main roads, you can find indigenous people who barely speak Spanish, and are terrified to talk to you. every year that area becomes more civilized as mining operations expand. stay out of that area in sept-oct time. way too much narco activity. if you stick to the main villages you will be fine. some roads should just be avoided.
chippy
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 3-11-2018 at 08:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
i have traveled that area a lot. i have taken wrong turns, got lost numerous times. if you get far enough off the main roads, you can find indigenous people who barely speak Spanish, and are terrified to talk to you. every year that area becomes more civilized as mining operations expand. stay out of that area in sept-oct time. way too much narco activity. if you stick to the main villages you will be fine. some roads should just be avoided.

Thanks for that. This is why I want the e32 maps. They supposedly have the CC routes I want. I´ll be going the end of this month:bounce:.
Abel.Villesca

[*] posted on 3-11-2018 at 01:32 PM

I purchased the E32 Cartografia to load on my Garmin GPSMap 276C. The Garmin is a dinosaur, but reliable and solid when pre-loaded maps, points and tracks. I do prefer to use various apps on my Android devices. At the time I purchased E32 (December), they did not offer an app for Android, but they do for iPad/iPhone.

I've been playing with E32 for a couple months while planning my trip and I am happy with it.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2018 at 01:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  

8-1-2017 BaseCamp Files to GPS Device

Loading a Google Earth file into a Garmin GPS.

In Google Earth (GE) trace a path and save in GE.

Click on that path on the left side of GE to highlight it. Click on file, click on save, click save place as. That will open a dialog box on your PC where you can name it and save it.

Convert the GE file to a GPX file using http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/ or other conversion system.

Download the converted file to your PC and rename if you want.

Download Garmin BaseCamp from the Garmin site, it is a free download.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/shop/downloads/basecamp

Connect the GPS unit to your PC.

Open BaseCamp on your PC, on the left side window your GPS device should be shown under devices.

Scowl to the top and click on My Collection.

Click on file upper left then click on import to my collection. A window box will open from you PC, find the GPX file you want to load. Click open. This loads the file into BaseCamp.

In BaseCamp click edit, click on send to. A box will appear with the files under My Collection click on the file to load into the GPX. At the bottom of the box click on OK. It is now loaded into the GPS device.

At this point you are done and the file should be in the GPS device.

At this point I left click and hold on the file in the upper left box of BaseCamp and drag it up to where it says data received from NUVI etc. and unclick. I don’t know if this makes a difference or not.

The route should be shown on the BaseCamp map when you click on it on the left side and all of them should be shown when you click on the data received from NUVI in upper left.

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2018 at 01:50 PM

Just got E-32 for my Garmin and will be running ii in Baja on my trip next week. JZ is right, OSMAND app on my phone is far better than anything Garmin has ever made. Email tracks to your self open them up and they show in the app on your phone. Simple and I can make route on the fly on my phone, save it and us it! No computer needed. The e-32 looks really good on my computer and I will run it on the bike with my phone as a back up. Search this subject on adventure rider and they all use a waterproof cheap Chinese phone.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2018 at 02:13 PM

JZ
I have BCN on my tablet. Tried using it a couple of times and it was to complicated for me (being tech tonto) I could never figure out a simple way to put routes in. Is there a way to do a town to town route or does everything have to be entered as lat/long?

I make the routes on my laptop (w/big monitor connected) using Google Earth. Send them to the phone and open with BCN. Can do it with email, but I just put everything on Google Drive which can be access by laptop or phone. I have a GPX tracks folder on Google Drive.

BCN is way easier to use than a standalone GPS and has a much bigger screen assuming you have a decent sized phone.

I mount the phone on my handle bar. This is the best mount I've found: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HUEZ7SS/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_s...

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2018 at 02:56 PM

What is BCN? I use the perfect squeeze on my bike, very solid and low profile. Not the cheapest but the best in my opinion!
chippy
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 3-11-2018 at 03:22 PM

Back Country Navigator app.
chippy
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 3-11-2018 at 03:37 PM

Thanks to all.
Sandlefoot
Nomad

Mood: Home

[*] posted on 3-12-2018 at 04:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

8-1-2017 BaseCamp Files to GPS Device

Loading a Google Earth file into a Garmin GPS.

In Google Earth (GE) trace a path and save in GE.

Click on that path on the left side of GE to highlight it. Click on file, click on save, click save place as. That will open a dialog box on your PC where you can name it and save it.

Convert the GE file to a GPX file using http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/ or other conversion system.

Download the converted file to your PC and rename if you want.

Download Garmin BaseCamp from the Garmin site, it is a free download.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/shop/downloads/basecamp

Connect the GPS unit to your PC.

Open BaseCamp on your PC, on the left side window your GPS device should be shown under devices.

Scowl to the top and click on My Collection.

Click on file upper left then click on import to my collection. A window box will open from you PC, find the GPX file you want to load. Click open. This loads the file into BaseCamp.

In BaseCamp click edit, click on send to. A box will appear with the files under My Collection click on the file to load into the GPX. At the bottom of the box click on OK. It is now loaded into the GPS device.

At this point you are done and the file should be in the GPS device.

At this point I left click and hold on the file in the upper left box of BaseCamp and drag it up to where it says data received from NUVI etc. and unclick. I don’t know if this makes a difference or not.

The route should be shown on the BaseCamp map when you click on it on the left side and all of them should be shown when you click on the data received from NUVI in upper left.

Help!!! Followed instructions and all went as expected, but can not find my data in the garmin. Where would I look to find it?

Thanks, Happy Trails

Mike

" Don't find fault, find a remedy; anyone can complain." Henry Ford

If you are not living on the edge...you are taking up to much space!

Just because it may not be a good idea does not mean it will not be fun!!!

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2018 at 08:51 PM

Sometimes you have to click on import track before they will show up, I don't have mine in front of me so I can't get more detailed. I'm so over Garmin, I have hours and hours invested and can still just stumble around trying to do stuff. The phone app's are so easy!
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2018 at 09:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Sandlefoot  

]Help!!! Followed instructions and all went as expected, but can not find my data in the garmin. Where would I look to find it?

Thanks, Happy Trails

Mike

Ditch that Garmin. Put it for sale on CL and/or eBay.

Use your phone as a GPS.

Standalone GPS units are for cave man.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-13-2018 at 09:07 AM

My cave gets such a poor signal, that I meet my communication needs by going outside and using an android phone that I add time (no data) to once a year or so.

Can the gps apps for phones be used by someone who does not intend to sign a contract with any carrier?

[Edited on 3-13-2018 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
TacoFeliz
Nomad

Mood: Exploratory

[*] posted on 3-13-2018 at 09:38 AM

AKgringo-- yes. Phone GPS works independently of network connection. I use GPS on my phone with it set to "Airplane Mode", no connection to cellular.

This prolongs battery life because it is not constantly searching for a cell signal.

Be aware that using GPS on a phone sucks battery like nothing else. I keep mine connected to the charging cable in the truck while using it in GPS mode.

I am currently using an iPhone 6s, but buddies using Android phones have the same experiences.

TacoFeliz
Nomad

Mood: Exploratory

[*] posted on 3-13-2018 at 09:42 AM

Received a note this morning from Alberto Valdivia of E32 that their E32 iPhone app is in the final development stages and will be released soon. Projected release was March 2018 so that may slide a bit.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.