BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mexicali to San Ignacio starting March 14
singler3360

[*] posted on 3-13-2018 at 07:41 AM
Mexicali to San Ignacio starting March 14

It’s been 20+ years since the wife and I drove down to Mulage. We are adventurous and accept the normal tensions expectied with land travel in Baja. However we want no part of the more recent cartel/gang activities that seem to be ringing in a new level of violence lately. How concerned should we be for traveling in one car pulling a popup trailer with sea kayaks?

We have reservations at Cañon Guadalupe hot springs the night of March 14, then plan to see the whales at San Ignacio Lagoon before settling on one of the beaches south of Mulage. Anyone have a similar itinerary and want to caravan?
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2018 at 09:48 AM

Normal rules still apply... off the road before dark and watch for large potholes .... keep your speed down.

Have you been to the hot springs before? I don't think a car, let alone pulling a trailer will get through the sandy parts (maybe a 4-wheel drive unit would be OK....)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-13-2018 at 09:51 AM

Yes, I question the ability of a 'car' pulling a trailer to get into the camping part of the canyon. Lots of steep pitches and big rocks to drive around in the final 3 miles. A piece of cake before that. It has been a few years since we were there, however.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

singler3360

[*] posted on 3-13-2018 at 03:07 PM

Thanks for the responses. Kally at GCO suggested we take the road rather than the dry lake bed but didn’t mention issues with the main road in. We are pulling a 15’ Aliner with a Tacoma 4x4.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-13-2018 at 03:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by singler3360  
Thanks for the responses. Kally at GCO suggested we take the road rather than the dry lake bed but didn’t mention issues with the main road in. We are pulling a 15’ Aliner with a Tacoma 4x4.

Oh, then not a "car"... The Tacoma 4x4 is the #1 (mid-size) truck of choice here with Baja Nomads! These people got me convinced to get my first Tacoma 4x4 Off Road TRD back in 2000!

The 15' trailer will need to stay 2 miles away. Or, detach it and inspect the last 2 miles. Maybe they blasted the boulders away in the last 10 years?

The dry lake road (Km 24) is preferred unless it is wet!!! :wow::O
The graded road (Km 28) is 30 miles of washboard, and pulling a trailer you won't be getting up to 50 mph to smooth things out. Just deflate the tires to 20-25 psi. The roads are accessed from the eastbound side of the divided highway, so if westbound, you need to make a U-Turn at the first opening west of the access roads. A lady collects money like a toll on holidays to use the dry lake road... says the kilometer before the lakebed is her land... lol. See one of our last times camping at Guadalupe Canyon: http://vivabaja.com/108/

Here was our last time, Halloween 2008: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=35050

My area map:

My directions from 2008, they may be unchanged:

Here are some driving details:

San Diego to Guadalupe Canyon takes about 3 hours... use Hwy. 94 east from I-805, or I-15, or Hwy. 52 & 125.

Tecate to Guadalupe Canyon is 100 miles... Using the toll highway, two tolls are collected: El Hongo $4.10 US, La Rumorosa $1.25 US.

The canyon is reached via a graded road (well signed 'Cañon de Guadalupe) or 2.6 miles beyond via the dry lake bed (well signed 'Laguna Salada'). When dry, the lake bed is the preferred route, allowing for speeds of 50-60 mph.

Both routes are about the same distance, 34 miles. The dry lake bed route has 25 miles of lakebed, then the route turns off the lakebed and joins with the graded road in a mile. The last 8 miles climbs towards the canyon and they begin with almost 6 miles of wide graded roadbed. However, the final 2 miles is suitable only for SUVs, trucks, or very slow, careful driving over the large rocks!

Returning to Tecate (via the lakebed road) will require a 2 mile detour east on the toll highway to a signed turnback to go west.

[Edited on 3-14-2018 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

singler3360

[*] posted on 3-15-2018 at 06:10 PM

Trip report: this place is amazing and well worth the effort to get there. We aired down and took the road in. Pulling our 15’ Aliner Ranger 12 with off-road package did not guarantee every bolt and screw wasn’t shaken loose but the larger tires, higher clearance and beefier axle were necessary. The last 2 miles brought us to a crawl but there were no boulders that couldn’t be negotiated. Kally was right that a minimum of 8” of clearance was all that was needed, although I did stick the truck in 4WD for the last 100’ of stream crossing followed by steep hairpin turns. Amazing drive in for sure.

On the way out we took Juan’s advice and drove the 26 miles on the dry creek bed. Piece of cake! Definitely the way to go in next time.

The campsites with dedicated hot pools are superb.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-15-2018 at 07:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by singler3360  
Trip report: this place is amazing and well worth the effort to get there. We aired down and took the road in. Pulling our 15’ Aliner Ranger 12 with off-road package did not guarantee every bolt and screw wasn’t shaken loose but the larger tires, higher clearance and beefier axle were necessary. The last 2 miles brought us to a crawl but there were no boulders that couldn’t be negotiated. Kally was right that a minimum of 8” of clearance was all that was needed, although I did stick the truck in 4WD for the last 100’ of stream crossing followed by steep hairpin turns. Amazing drive in for sure.

On the way out we took Juan’s advice and drove the 26 miles on the dry creek bed. Piece of cake! Definitely the way to go in next time.

The campsites with dedicated hot pools are superb.

:coolup:

P.s. shouldn’t an “off road package” survive off road w/o bolts shaking loose?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2018 at 10:33 PM

A new dirt bike shouldn't lose bolts, but I've lost a few in Baja ....
Only after losing my kick start lever did I started using blue Loctite...
Did I mention it was new?

[Edited on 3-16-2018 by KasloKid]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.