Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: BEST WHALE SHARK & FISH OPTIONS CABO
BajaChar

[*] posted on 3-14-2018 at 11:40 AM
BEST WHALE SHARK & FISH OPTIONS CABO

Hubby and Daughter a teacher, are flying down to Cabo San Lucas for an all inclusive stay 31st March to 7th. First time trip and would love some recommendations for the following. Absolutely doesn't have to be the mass tourism targeted companies. Often found some of the best experiences in other parts of the world/USA has been with "word of mouth" recommendations on trips.

Would like to snorkel with the whale sharks - best person/company for "value and experience" = not necessarily the cheapest or most expensive but .... All about the experience and sometimes that includes a very entertaining or fun guide!

Hubby loves fishing and the bigger the better, so they'd like to do a half, possibly full day trip whilst there. Hubby likes to do it all, not just have a guide pass you a rod when "fish on" just to reel in.

Maybe also opportunity to swim/snorkel with the sea lions.

Daughter has diving certification but prefers to free dive as a FYI.

Thanks for sharing best recommendations, contacts, info and personal experience if possible.
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 3-14-2018 at 06:46 PM

Whale sharks are out of La Paz not Cabo. If you want to fish in Cabo try Cabo Magic.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2018 at 05:57 AM

Swim with Whale Sharks, Just off the Mogote in La Paz
Snorkel with sea lions, at the north end of Espiritu Santos (los Islotes) - La Paz
Scuba or free dive, The Bajo, Salvatierra (sunken ferry), La Reina (north end of Cerralvo - La Paz

Me thinks you booked the wrong location.

If you want tour recommendations for La Paz I'd be happy to help

[Edited on 3-15-2018 by Alan]

In Memory of E-57
BajaChar

[*] posted on 3-15-2018 at 10:10 AM

Alan, any good recommendations would be Oh so much appreciated. For their first visit they picked Villa Del Palmar in CSL to enable them to get out and walk around easily without a car = they love anything to do with the water typically and local fare where they are.

Is is realistic to "affordably/reasonably", find someone reliable, trustworthy, knowledgable and willing to be with them doing it, that could hypothetically, give them a great, even if somewhat long day trip to La Paz to swim/snorkel with the Whale Sharks, and experience for my daughter to snorkel, free dive a little with the sea lions. There's always risk with everything my 27 year old has done, but safety is always paramount in our minds. They'd need to get them from Cabo Hotel (or tell them what transport to catch early) to La Paz.

Any and all suggestions/contacts are so very very much appreciated. It is so very important that I try and make this a wonderful memory making trip for my youngest daughter and her dad! Thank you so very very much in advance.

In many years gone by, when we've done cruises/Turks & Caicos/Bahamas, in the past we've always managed to find a contact suggestion at some of the islands we've visited so we've not been in a "huge tourist" group situation, or got "taken advantage of", and had fabulous times with them being a proud local helping us experience so much and basically a day like that in the Baja would be wonderful for these two right now.

Once again thanks to all for any and all suggestions recommendations to make this a memory to last our daughter's lifetime.

PS: They don't speak Spanish at all, but will just know enough to be thankful and appreciative before they arrive.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2018 at 04:10 PM

Because you are in Cabo (which I know nothing about) I can only recommend that you contact a reputable outfitter such as Cabo Magic who can provide better recommendations for that area

In Memory of E-57
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2018 at 08:47 AM

BajaChar:

1. It is two to two-and-a-half hours driving time (private vehicle) Cabo to La Paz. Traffic can also make it longer. People rarely do roundtrip unless 'necessary'. Public bus much much longer
2. Swim with sea lions ? In Cabo, the sea lions are no longer wary of humans, and will jump on your boat in harbor entrance as you return. They want to be fed. Many find this cute, but can also be dangerous.
3. Whale Shark experience is in La Paz.
4. If you are looking for a personal assistant, it will be much more expensive than you think. We've arranged constant companion for clients previously to include transportation and it starts at USD $500 for 12 hours.
5. We quote in USD because as you know, the peso converts often.
6. "Proud Locals" in Cabo do exist - They like, need to get paid for their expertise, experience, time etc. Cabo is not a sleepy fishing village as it once was, and with that came the grossly inflated prices that we all must pay to eat, have reliable transportation, cellphones, clothing (clean and/or new) , shoes, you get the idea. Items not made in Cabo are imported, so there is freight, import duties, and the cost that business charges for allowing us the privilege of purchasing same. Surely this makes sense.
7. Their not speaking Spanish will hinder them in that those who speak better English charge more for their time/service - Back 20 years, my husband and I paid a teacher to teach free English Classes in our office - initially for our crews/staff to provide comfortable conversational skills - the classes expanded to twice/week as it became very popular and we never turned away anyone wanting to better themselves - speaking English allowed sisters/brothers/aunts/uncles/cousins/friends to secure a job in the newly expanding towns.
8. Several Nomads have suggested you contact us - if you prefer to have me call you to schedule fishing/sightseeing etc. U2U me your contact and I'll be happy to do so.

Cordially, Lori Garcia

[Edited on 3-17-2018 by CaboMagic]

JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 3-17-2018 at 08:51 AM

Check out of your all inclusive and leave Cabo. Then you will see the real Baja.

Cabo is for tourists who like to pay too much for packaged up touristy sh#t.

[Edited on 3-17-2018 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

BajaChar

[*] posted on 3-17-2018 at 10:19 AM

JZ - I don't disagree with you whatsoever, and I'm hoping one day "I" can with a family member/friend, RV down the whole of the Baja for several weeks to experience this as that is what we are typically all about in our family :) However, we are talking creating memories for my daughter and hubby (her dad) "right now", and believe me without me with them they are not as organized, confident or adventurous as I, hence Cabo = fishing, walking ease, taste of local fare, marinas and of course the ultimate snorkel with whale sharks (they know this is a 2 hour each way ride to La Paz). I'm just trying to organize and set up the best experiences for them in teacher daughters, limited week available, in this regards based on the feedback from others with experience - none of us have never having done the Baja. Done Playa Del Carmen, Cozumel (in the 90's) and Cancun, and would agree today they are not attractive for us any more. Olde worlde Mexico of yesterday is our flavour, but in our current situation/circumstances Cabos should turn into a fun time for them both I hope!

Lori I've sent you a U2U (private message I believe!). Thanks for getting in touch. As for your comment at No 6 - "They like, need to get paid for their expertise, experience, time etc. Cabo is not a sleepy fishing village as it once was, and with that came the grossly inflated prices that we all must pay to eat, have reliable transportation, cellphones, clothing (clean and/or new) , shoes, you get the idea. Items not made in Cabo are imported, so there is freight, import duties, and the cost that business charges for allowing us the privilege of purchasing same. Surely this makes sense. Absolutely, I would never expect any less, as I'm sure neither would anyone with an ounce of common sense = everyone needs to put bacon on the table for their families - I am just trying to do my due diligence for my family and make these a couple of "awesome" excursions based on others feedback If the right person and right trips for them both cost $800/$1000, then so be it, but if that would be a total rip off and we could get them same/better and avoid several middlemen mark ups or we could benefit a truly desperate family that can provide the services for $400 or $250 or whatever then we'd be stupid not to do that "safely". = Surely that makes sense?

Truly not trying to be disrespectful here, just thought Bajanomads forum that was recommended to me, hence why joined a few days ago, might have a great group of folks willing to share and hopefully not chastise someone who is trying to get the "inside scoop" so to speak to make a first trip to the Baja special.

Once again, sincere thanks to all that have been able to provide us with useful information thus far. Hope you are having a wonderful laid back weekend :)
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2018 at 04:11 PM

BajaChar: I have not yet read your U2U private message - I will as soon as I am able.

I can only speak about Cabo San Lucas - "Middlemen" serve a vitally important purpose for people like you and in our 20 yrs of biz, for tens of thousands of others. The "truly desperate" families rely on people like us to put guests aboard so they can feed/clothe/shelter their loved ones. They know I sometimes absurd lengths of time answering questions from one person - via emails, phone calls, texts - to make certain that person has all the answers they want - I wont be driving the boat, and that's a good thing - but when I hand you off to the appropriate captain/crew THEY will be the one/s making the real reel magic - they love being on the water - they live to do this.

It’s not a big deal any longer about working with an owner, now-a-days every boat owner and/or captain asks (beg) us for work. We created the opportunity back in 1998 for such a situation in Cabo - I cannot speak to the legitimacy of the numerous 'website-businesses' that have cropped up over the last ten years or so - the ability to create a website presents an impressive online presence - that does not however, ensure a hard working, skilled captain or crew - nor an adequately safe vessel. All boats we agree to represent for charter must meet, or exceed, my husband Tommy's standards - He's been fishing since he was a young boy - and has owned dozens of boats over the years. The crews want very much to continue to receive charters from us - and work thier you-know-what off --- In 20 years we've fired 2 people.

As to the comments about our charters costing more: You get what you pay for - Can you get a cheaper (I really dislike the phrase) charter? Sure - there are people that will take you out for less $ and hope for a big propina (Spanish for gratuity) Tackle and gear provided may or may not be operational, they may not take you where the fish are coz they don't want to burn the fuel, they may bring you in 30-45 mins early (again not to burn fuel) They may run out of fuel and call someone like Cabo Magic for a tow back in … I could go on and on.

Gotta Run. LG

JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 3-17-2018 at 04:33 PM

It's best to shop around for charters. Paying more is definitely not a guarantee of better service. Of course they will try to sell you on the value to charge you more.

Two examples in the last two weeks.

- just had a fuel filter put in my diesel truck, which is a suprisingly good size job. The quotes were $180 (got them down to $165), $215, and $125.

- went to go to a new dry cleaner next to my new office. They proceeded to tell me how good they are at laundering (not even dry cleaning) shirts before telling me it was $4.50/shirt. Nah, I'll stick with my $1.75 place.

Do your homework. Read the reviews! Trip Advisor is a great source.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2018 at 08:32 AM

Char - will phone later today. LG

nbentley1
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2018 at 08:57 AM

We used these guys over Christmas and had a great experience, Sea lions and whale sharks in one package.

http://www.lapazviptours.com/
BajaChar

[*] posted on 3-19-2018 at 09:09 PM

Thanks to all for sharing. Whale Shark tour and fishing charter all booked, shuttle round trip booked and done and done. Will be sure to update with the experiences and companies used, and the family's overall take on their trip to Cabo :)

Thanks again to all for their contributions.
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2018 at 05:55 PM

The boyz will take excellent care of Char and her dad.:D

CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2018 at 09:26 PM

Skipjack locally called Bariellete -- and definitely candy for Blue Marlin ..

April 4 2018
29' Cruiser

Char1 resize.jpg - 89kB Char 2 resize.jpg - 110kB

[Edited on 4-11-2018 by CaboMagic]

BajaChar

[*] posted on 4-7-2018 at 10:55 PM

I promised an update after their trip on my family's take on Cabo SL, which is detailed at the end on other services used. However, before that I would like to respond to the last message posted here:

Lori, I have to say I am so very disappointed in you, and think based on those that recommended you to us, and others quite like us looking for some guidance as "newbies" to Cabo San Lucas they may like to read our "unexpected" experiences. Also how dare you print our full names and location on an open internet forum like this. At no juncture did I ever give you permission to do so, or to exploit my family for promoting your business. We value our privacy, as do many on here by using a "username". One of the first commandments of maintaining security and protection!!!!

i) You have not responded to the email I sent you on Wednesday evening after the fishing trip, voicing how very disappointed they were with the whole trip. That lack of response, makes us feel, "we got their monies now NEXT", for the poor other uneducated folks coming along. From first arrival at the dock, the boat was clearly the most ill kept of any in the marina areas, appearing like the rust was all that was holding it together. It was in very very poor shape visually at best.

ii) You advised me to upgrade my family of two, to a larger 5 person boat upon our discussions, and you'd ensure that the Captain, first mate etc would be fun, english speaking as I detailed extensively the importance of this, and it would have a bathroom for Char's benefit at least. Well the bathroom was absolutely disgusting to enter, there wasn't even any toilet paper when asked for. Really this fishing trip cost us over US$700 and they couldn't provide a clean bathroom and some toilet paper????

iii) Once on board, within the first half hour Char caught 2 skipjacks on lures and it seemed a little active. Then all of a sudden they head out 40 mins further, the crew (3 of them, Father, Son and a 12 year old boy), see a lot of red and say "we're going to fish for snapper for our suppers". My daughter and husband were left twiddling their thumbs for over an hour whilst the father, his son, and the boy fished for themselves. They weren't even offered to catch the lobster to place them on the hooks to fish for them either (that's pretty sad). It felt like my family had paid for the Capt' his son and a 12 year old boy to go fishing at my family's expense for the day. Now don't get me wrong here Lori, we wouldn't have had any problem with a bit of side by side conversation and fishing together with them, but that was just plain and utterly rude.

iv) The package you offered was for Burritos for breakfast, and Captains Choice for lunch (his table!). You advised me on the phone this would be good food as it's where the Capt and his family would eat. Well, surprise surprise, not only did my family have to eventually "ask" for a drink, and weren't offered, they received NO FOOD whatsoever for the whole trip duration.

v) You said there was a cost at cost of $30 to us for approximately 10 bait fish, yet these cost a lot lot less than that from the guy that comes besides the boat with his bucket and only 3 were used, during the whole outing with a 4th off my husband's line retrieved when he caught his one and only "similar to a small bonito/tuna" as we know them.

vi) There were marlin jumping but sadly none were caught with the 3 bait fish that were put out for them!

vii) The biggie in all of this is that you assured me Lori that there would be fun interaction, joviality, excellent english speaking, yet they were barely spoken to by any of the three.

viii) The only entertaining part of this whole fishing trip was the two seals that jumped on the back of the boat on the return to harbour.

My family have done charters and fishing trips before based on our criteria, and had a truly wonderful time, (one was even cancelled due to conditions and rescheduled another day and another was too rough whilst out and they offered a further courtesy day), but this was by far a total disappointment, and then to have you exploit my family's names and area location with photos about and where from as a form of advertising for yourself, that is an absolute disgrace. It feels totally that you are using this Forum, that I was led to believe was like our RVing forums of people helping people sharing experiences. Not a purely business promoting forum for Cabo Magic.

I have to say, whilst the waters were a little murky (again can't control mama nature), the Shark Whale experience and whole day was wonderful with Ash. In the water jumping overboard 3 times for about 15 mins each time was awesome. The tour guide was fun, informative, freely giving out chips, beer, drinks etc. The Police with machine guns on backs of F150's up in La Paz were fun, and entertaining with my daughter asking lots of questions out of curiosity. A very fun day, albeit a long one.

The glass bottom boat ride out to the arches, lovers beach, divorce beach, Sea lion colony (stinky but entertaining), the rock crevices looking from Sea Cortez to Pacific etc. Snorkelling was ace. Rogers highly recommended by many.

The company used for airport to hotel transfer was Cora Transport and they were absolutely awesome at $38 return (both ways to and from) airport to Villa Del Palmar and back again. On time as agreed, and always responsive confirming emails within a couple hours latest. Would certainly use these guys again. SUV to themselves from airport and couple others sharing van returning to airport.

Overall Cabo SL was found to be quite an expensive place as a first trip there compared to other areas of Mexico travelled in the past. It was evident that the minute you are the other side of the wall of the resort, there's a whole different world going on. Family discovered it was a waste of time taking Pesos for the most part and surprisingly, they readily accept our "measley" Canadian dollar as tender in many places as well! Worth knowing.

Now to Trip Advisor and some other forums to share our experiences to hopefully help others and maybe have them avoid having their personal information splashed around the internet for all and sundry to target them!!!
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 4-8-2018 at 08:09 AM

Some thoughts here. The most heavily advertised companies are usually the worst value. They use very attractive bait to "catch" their prey. You were hooked. The Cabo San Lucas area is basically a set up to remove your cashish. They cater mostly to young people looking for a wild time. It's not a family oriented Disneyland. You were trolled by the millions of dollars spent advertising the place. I will get some pushback here but La Paz is all-around a better place to visit. Most expats not involved in some sort of tourist scam live here. For the most part the wild excesses of youthful partying are limited to a small section downtown. There are several expats that live here in La Paz. All of them are eager to help you enjoy the reasons they live here. Chuck the advertising brochures and travel sites. Several people tried to warn you that you had chosen the wrong place. I am truly sorry you had a bad experience in Cabo but I'm glad it's there to divert the thousands of testosterone fueled "utes".

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
mikeymarlin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2018 at 08:54 AM

WOW ! ! ! ---- did the mud-slinging hit the spot ??? some real-to-the-point sh#t said----
BajaChar

[*] posted on 4-8-2018 at 01:13 PM

Thanks Weebray for taking the "risk". Sadly by the time comments came through about location being not the best we'd picked, it was too late in this instance "booked and paid for". Yes they very much liked places like Todo Santos (think I got that right). If it helps some other poor unsuspecting newbie from being led up the garden path with things not as they were led to believe and to point out the risks of your private information being posted for all to see, then good. Wish I'd found something along these lines before to be forewarned, is forearmed. However, as was pointed out and promised "the write up following the trip", we have also voiced the other experiences.

Mudslinging is not the intention Mikeymarlin, just telling it how it was and not led to believe in one instance, and how the other services performed as was discussed and expected wonderfully! Sorry but I thought these forums were about people sharing genuine experiences and that was why I was led here by someone from another forum to find info out Cabo specific. Lesson learned for us, hopefully it will help others coming behind us.
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2018 at 04:29 PM

Char, you have done nothing wrong here in MHO. You are simply sharing your experiences, good and bad. other readers can take that info any way they choose.

I purposely avoid Cabo because - well it's Cabo, and your fishing experience, unfortunately confirmed some of what i have seen or heard others say. I liked Cabo in the 70's,and even the 80s. But now I now like it because it is a usefull filter keeping the yahoos and ugly americans contained in a small area, where they are milked several times daily - for their cash!

Thanks for posting the info, hopefully, there will be a next time, and it will be what you are looking for. you will get alot of help here from alot of knowledgeable people willing to share theur experiences and expertise, should you chose to give it another go. If you don't want to do it publically - U2U some of us, we would be more than willing to suggest and recommend.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.