BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Poncho Needs a Solar Panel!
Enrique2012
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2018 at 08:53 PM
Poncho Needs a Solar Panel!

Just recently visited with Poncho in Bahia San Rafael and he was in a semi-state of panic concerning a D.O.A solar panel. He asked if I could get the word out that if anyone has a panel they can donate, he would be eternally grateful.

Sorry, I don't have any specs on the panel that died. I know that it wasn't anything too sophisticated, most likely in the 40 watt realm. Anything matching 40w or greater would be muy fantastico.

Once again I was reminded what a kind soul this man is. Any help from the Nomads would be greatly appreciated by Pancho.

Gracias!

[Edited on 3-16-2018 by Enrique2012]
carlosg
Senior Nomad

Mood: Just like in Baja: No Bad Days...

[*] posted on 3-16-2018 at 10:38 AM

Hi Enrique,

Can you please share some info on what route you drove and what the road conditions are like? How about driving a 2WD? Did you visit "El Barril", is there anywhere where to buy any basic stuff: drinking water, beer (Poncho probably has beer for sale), sodas, etc... in El Barril or San Francisquito? Any pics...?

Thanks.

...work to camp and fish.... dream to be there....

http://aquapropoolandspaservice.com/
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-16-2018 at 01:37 PM

Carlos, you may find my 2017 trip reports of some interest
#1 covers L.A. Bay to Pta San Francisquito, via Pancho's.
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=85374
#5 covers El Arco to El Barril to Vizcaino, via Guillermo Prieto.
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=86781

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-16-2018 at 02:08 PM

Enrique, I don't know the details of Pancho's set up, but if I remember correctly, the solar panels are to maintain a freezer. Do you know if Pancho has already lost all the food stored in it?

I am not in a position to help with the solar panel, but will be passing by there soon on my way north. I can bring some canned, or dried foods to him from Vizcaino if necessary.

Any suggestions?

[Edited on 3-16-2018 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2018 at 02:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Enrique, I don't know the details of Pancho's set up, but if I remember correctly, the solar panels are to maintain a freezer. Do you know if Pancho has already lost all the food stored in it?

I am not in a position to help with the solar panel, but will be passing by there soon on my way north. I can bring some canned, or dried foods to him from Vizcaino if necessary.

Any suggestions?

[Edited on 3-16-2018 by AKgringo]

I think it is primarily for food storage as his battery is shot (unless he got a new one?) to have lights or TV at night like he used to (he gets a Hermosillo TV station). Here are the photos I took in 2016 when I posted his request for a battery. When I visited him last year, he was ok with only having power in the daylight to keep his freezer cold overnight.

Sept 2016:

Jan. 2017 showing his panel array:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2018 at 04:50 PM

Harbor Freight usually has the 40 watt panel on sale.
I just looked on line and they have the 100 watt panel kit for $189.
Amazon has the 100 watt panel for $109.95..

[Edited on 3-16-2018 by TMW]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2018 at 05:40 PM

panels were down to about 1 dollar per watt. Now with the new tariffs, they are going back up.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-17-2018 at 08:21 AM

SD craigslist has some deals.

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2018 at 07:51 AM

south baja craigslist almost always has used panels for sale. when people go in the grid they sell their gear.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-18-2018 at 08:20 AM

A 40 watt panel, assuming it is powering an inverter to run those appliances, doesn't seem like nearly enough. Are those two, 6-volt batteries and one group 31, 12v battery?
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2018 at 07:42 PM
Going to Panchos

but not until mid May - if he still needs stuff we can take it then. Leaving the high desert around the first of May.

John M
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2018 at 09:20 PM

I will be passing by his place in three days or so on my way north. Even if there was a panel here in Bahia Asuncion, I would not have room to haul it, but I will try to get more precise info on what he needs.

I plan on taking some groceries to him, any known urgent needs he has would be appreciated information.

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 3-20-2018 at 08:20 AM

The harbor freight 100W is junk. they are 4x25w old HUGE panels.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 3-20-2018 at 08:39 AM

Ah let's see, what does Poncho need ? for starters

Case of beer
Bottle of Tequila
2 kilos carne asada
A fun Chica
Couple of Cuban cigars
Bottle of brandy
Couple of flans, That'll do it

Oh and a 100w solar panel...

If'n you can through in a Mariachi band that would be nice...

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 3-20-2018 at 09:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
Ah let's see, what does Poncho need ? for starters

Case of beer
Bottle of Tequila
2 kilos carne asada
A fun Chica
Couple of Cuban cigars
Bottle of brandy
Couple of flans, That'll do it

Oh and a 100w solar panel...

If'n you can through in a Mariachi band that would be nice...

I could use all of that too. Except the solar panel. Wish I could help.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2018 at 12:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I will be passing by his place in three days or so on my way north. Even if there was a panel here in Bahia Asuncion, I would not have room to haul it, but I will try to get more precise info on what he needs.

I plan on taking some groceries to him, any known urgent needs he has would be appreciated information.

A bag of rice and beans is always good.

Yes please find out exactly what it is that he needs as far as the solar panel goes. Is it just the panel or other parts he needs too.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2018 at 07:41 PM

I have taken Pancho durable, easy to transport goods before, but it occurs to me that fresh products would probably please him even more.

Does anyone know if he has egg laying chickens? I don't recall seeing them, but a person here in B.A told me he did.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2018 at 07:44 PM

I don't recall ever seeing any chickens either or any animals other than his dog. I think fresh veggies are always good.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2018 at 10:55 AM
Late with an update!

I stopped by Pancho's camp a little over a week ago, and can add a little info. Pancho understands the system far better than I do, but our language difficulties prevent a highly accurate dialogue.

The panel that failed was rated at 46 watts, and the voltage controller is shot as well. What surprised me is that according to Pancho, it is 22 years old!

He has two other sets of panels on his system, one of them performing as designed, and one that is very weak. I do not know what the total output is, but he has enough power for his refrigeration, but not enough to use much more than that over night.

On another note, he did have chickens for a brief period, but due to the problems with coyotes, foxes, and birds of prey, he says never again!

He very much enjoyed the fresh eggs, tomatoes, avocados and other fragile and perishable items I brought him. I also left him all my plastic storage containers and some AA, and AAA batteries.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2018 at 11:19 AM

Good job AK!!! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.