BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Poncho Needs a Solar Panel!
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2018 at 11:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I stopped by Pancho's camp a little over a week ago, and can add a little info. Pancho understands the system far better than I do, but our language difficulties prevent a highly accurate dialogue.

The panel that failed was rated at 46 watts, and the voltage controller is shot as well. What surprised me is that according to Pancho, it is 22 years old!

He has two other sets of panels on his system, one of them performing as designed, and one that is very weak. I do not know what the total output is, but he has enough power for his refrigeration, but not enough to use much more than that over night.

On another note, he did have chickens for a brief period, but due to the problems with coyotes, foxes, and birds of prey, he says never again!

He very much enjoyed the fresh eggs, tomatoes, avocados and other fragile and perishable items I brought him. I also left him all my plastic storage containers and some AA, and AAA batteries.

Hopefully you gave him that Patriots shirt as well. Shop rags are always useful.

John

[Edited on 4-4-2018 by John Harper]
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2018 at 11:36 AM

:lol:
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-4-2018 at 12:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
:lol:

Lest I be mistaken for a fan, I should explain that the shirt wound up in the laundry at my CA home. An assortment of vistors passed through here when I had a summer house sitter/roomate, but no one would admit to owning it!

Since money had been wasted on it by someone, I decided that I should wear it out on in remote areas while it is on the way to the rag bag!

Then I absent mindedly stepped in front of Blanca's camera! :spingrin:

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
bobrehfuss
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2018 at 08:12 PM

Ok Nomads,

I have a friend that is going to BoLA on Friday night after work. He will be going to San Francisquito within a week or so after that. He has been there before and met Pancho who he calls “Corre Camino” but I’m assuming it’s the same person as there seemed to only be one jefe there. Is this correct Pancho is “Corre Camino”?

We live in Big Bear and can’t get solar panels here. He is going straight to Mex after work so he won’t be able to pick one up.

I am however going to the city tomorrow to get an MRI for a back injury that ironically interrupted my Baja camping trip last November when I met Pancho for the first time.

I don’t know anything about solar panels or controls but I’m happy to purchase the stuff and he will deliver it.

If anyone out there knows about solar and could help direct me to right stuff it would sure help. I’m thinking Harbor Freight.

You can post here but it would even better if you could call or text me tonight or tomorrow. 909-633-8124

Thanks
Bob
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 02:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bobrehfuss  
Ok Nomads,

I have a friend that is going to BoLA on Friday night after work. He will be going to San Francisquito within a week or so after that. He has been there before and met Pancho who he calls “Corre Camino” but I’m assuming it’s the same person as there seemed to only be one jefe there. Is this correct Pancho is “Corre Camino”?

We live in Big Bear and can’t get solar panels here. He is going straight to Mex after work so he won’t be able to pick one up.

I am however going to the city tomorrow to get an MRI for a back injury that ironically interrupted my Baja camping trip last November when I met Pancho for the first time.

I don’t know anything about solar panels or controls but I’m happy to purchase the stuff and he will deliver it.

If anyone out there knows about solar and could help direct me to right stuff it would sure help. I’m thinking Harbor Freight.

You can post here but it would even better if you could call or text me tonight or tomorrow. 909-633-8124

Thanks
Bob

Coco (of Coco's Corner) has a road-runner for a logo.
Pancho (of Bahía San Rafael) is far less known or visited.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bobrehfuss
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 03:30 PM

I know Coco. Visit a couple times a year for years. My buddy as well.

My friend has been going to San Rafeal south from BoLA for a few years. Last year was my first time there. He always refers to El Viejo de San Rafael as Corre Camino. When I said that he introduced himself as Pancho to me he said he has always referred to himself as Corre Camino. Just assumed he is one and the same but wanted to confirm.

On my way to Harbor Freight soon to pick up a 100 Watt Solar Panel kit si he can deliver it next week to Francisco, Poncho...CC
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 04:34 PM

Your friend can refer to Pancho or his location any way he wants but Pancho is the only person living at his location other than his guest.

There is a rancho on the west side of the road north of the turnoff to Pancho's place where a young couple use to live, I'm not sure they are still there.

Corre Camino translated to English is run road so I don't understand how that connects to Pancho. Anyway I am sure Pancho will be happy to get the solar panel.

Thank you for helping.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 04:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Your friend can refer to Pancho or his location any way he wants but Pancho is the only person living at his location other than his guest.

There is a rancho on the west side of the road north of the turnoff to Pancho's place where a young couple use to live, I'm not sure they are still there.

Corre Camino translated to English is run road so I don't understand how that connects to Pancho. Anyway I am sure Pancho will be happy to get the solar panel.

Thank you for helping.

Pancho has been known for years as correcamino, you never notice how this little nutbag runs around in double time? hence the nickname
bobrehfuss
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 05:09 PM

Well yes I did notice he was a zippy little road runner. Ok, all good in Harbor Freight pitching up the stuff now. It will be heading Panchos way on Friday.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 05:13 PM
Run road = Roadrunner

By the way, there were other temporary residents there last week. Several fishermen have set up shop there for a while, I think Pancho said they were after pulpo.

Pancho has a new guard Chihuahua since the last time I was there. My dog outweighs Paloma by at least 75 pounds, but the little girl let Bailey know that the camp (including my lap) was hers!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 05:23 PM

I've never heard anyone refer to Pancho by any name other than Pancho. But I only see him a few times a year at most. He's had a few dogs over the years and sometimes is vague about where they disappeared to. I just assumed when things get tough they get ate.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 05:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I've never heard anyone refer to Pancho by any name other than Pancho. But I only see him a few times a year at most. He's had a few dogs over the years and sometimes is vague about where they disappeared to. I just assumed when things get tough they get ate.

well Tom maybe next time you can bring him a big screen.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 05:45 PM

I usually take him food. A year or so ago I took him a control module for his generator and I made a special run to GN for a battery once. I got a 54 inch TV in my living room I might take him. I just don't like the sound from it. I've had two different external sound systems connected to it and to me it has too much bass. Hard for me to understand people talking. Maybe for Xmas.
bobrehfuss
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 09:26 PM

Sent the pic to my friend and confirmed Francisco-Pancho-Corre Camino-El Jefe de Francisquito-El Papa de Paloma are all one and the same. All good, new panels and accessories purchased and on their way south tomorrow, done deal!
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 4-6-2018 at 04:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bobrehfuss  
Sent the pic to my friend and confirmed Francisco-Pancho-Corre Camino-El Jefe de Francisquito-El Papa de Paloma are all one and the same. All good, new panels and accessories purchased and on their way south tomorrow, done deal!

Good on you. Very nice thing to do.
Enrique2012
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2018 at 11:28 AM

Thanks Bob! It's really great to see this thread come alive and deliver something to Pancho that will help improve his comfort and welfare.

It's really a great thing to watch this community respond.

Thanks again Bob.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-7-2018 at 02:10 AM

Truth

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2018 at 08:34 AM

enough to make correcamino dance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xll3uyYLW3E
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.