Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: New house construction
tecatero
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2018 at 07:25 AM

I have an underground cistern, 2500 gallons and its the best ever. I have three filters and UV light inline and the water is great. Biggest advantage I ve notice is during summer, when its 100 degrees the water stays cool same tempos winter so if you are using a on demand water heater the water temp imperfect not scalding
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-19-2018 at 01:31 PM

Thank you for posting this.
I have water supplied at my lot.
But it comes from a big rusting tank on a hill. Underground PVC supplies it to each lot.
We pay a flat fee and it's filled regularly.
I have never looked inside the tank but a neighbor has and said it was gross in there. He had his own tank put in but I'm not sure how.
A lot of houses in the older part have water towers. Most are made of native volcanic rock and look very cool.
We are not permitted to build the little water tower in the "new" neighborhood per the CC&Rs.
So I've been thinking tank in garage thing
The hot tip is to get your water from a well as high up in the hills as you can.
That is the sweetest and cleanest water.
Use the rusty tank water for irrigation etc. Use the sweet water in the casita.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 3-19-2018 at 02:55 PM

Fishbuck,
Unless you own the property the best thing to do is install water filter systems only....
One for whole house and another for drinking. ( unless you want to use bottled water )

Benefits are they cost effective and you are able to remove and take the system with you when you leave.

I've been a plumbing contractor for 38 years ....

[Edited on 3-19-2018 by Paco Facullo]
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-19-2018 at 03:07 PM

whatever you do DONT put a water tank UNDER your garage

and water does NOT cool off when its in a tank in the ground in baja when its 90f at night during july aug sept

and unless you chlorinate water you get mold and animals in it
DONT drink it

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-19-2018 at 03:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
Fishbuck,
Unless you own the property the best thing to do is install water filter systems.
One for whole house and another for drinking. ( unless you want to use bottled water )

Benefits are cost effective and you are able to remove and take the system with you when you leave.

I've been a plumbing contractor for 38 years ....

Good point. I do remember that the homes I have visited there use purified bottled water from town for drinking and cooking.
The water issue is that the wells are getting brackish. The closer to the ocean the more sea water incursion to the aquifer. From mega agricultural pumping over many years.
So the hill tank water might be ok if I can filter it well enough.
The salty water eats the plumbing slowly but surely.
But I haven't tasted or tested the hill tank water yet. It might be delicious.
Water in town at the hotels tastes salty. The later in summer the saltier. It won't make suds when trying to bath with it. I imagine it has a skin drying out effect. I can feel it a little after a shower there.
Jardine's has a super elaborate filtration system the removes everything.
And they have every plant that can grow in Baja I think.
I wish I was there now.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.