Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mexicali or Mexicali East
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2018 at 07:52 PM
Mexicali or Mexicali East

We will be headed north on 5 and were planning to cross at Mexicali East, but it has changed since last year. Are we better to just stay on 5 to cross at Calexico?

[Edited on 3-23-2018 by bajarich]
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 3-22-2018 at 08:18 PM
You need a new map

Quote: Originally posted by bajarich  
We will be headed north on 5 and were planning to cross at Mexicali East, but it has changed since last year. Are we better to just stay on 5 to cross at Calexico?

[Edited on 3-23-2018 by bajarich]

I-5 is about 100 miles from Calexico
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2018 at 08:23 PM

We are headed north on Mex 5, headed to Salt Lake City.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
3-22-2018 at 09:28 PM
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2018 at 07:45 AM

Maybe you should add some mileage to head for SLC?
I am always headed for Yuma/Phoenix the further north and my preferred border is San Luis when I have the trailer and Algodones when driving the car.
Heavy construction on I8 west of the Algodones crossing. Slow but doable.
Mexicali east is all screwed up due to new construction so for now it is the place to avoid.
When heading to San Diego I also avoid the west crossing because I do not like to drive in the city and I don't have sentry or ready pass. I just drive the extra miles for an easier crossing.

The Algodones or San Luis is found by taking Highway 2D south of Mexicali 23 pesos toll. Very easy drive.
Yes, Tecate is a good crossing place and it includes the drive up the mountain with great views.

[Edited on 3-23-2018 by PaulW]
BajaUtah
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2018 at 08:00 AM

I've always crossed north and south at Mexicali west from/to SLC. West has the Cambios southbound and options for quick food northbound. I've thought about trying the east but I guess it's just the devil you know kind of thing.

From Mexicali, SLC is a long 1 day through Glamis, up the 96 to Las Vegas and I15 home. That route is just so much easier and less stressful than the San Diego - Los Angeles - Cajon Pass trail of tears

Andy
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2018 at 12:31 PM

Anyone know if the Mexicali Banjercito is located at the Mexicali East crossing (same place where southbound travelers would obtain FMM)?

I'm planning to cross NB at that location and need to obtain the refund of my TIP deposit (purchased TIP at Nogales km21 location several months ago).

Any comments/recommendations much appreciated! Thx, Rob

"I'm too young to be this old!"
philodog
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2018 at 09:57 AM

Stick to the west crossing until they complete the construction at the east one. It was a mess.
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2018 at 10:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by philodog  
Stick to the west crossing until they complete the construction at the east one. It was a mess.
Thx! Only one problem - Google Maps shows the Banjercito at Mexicali East - not west!! I have to go there to get my $300 usd deposit refund!!

Hopefully the construction will be completed in the next day or two (LOL!!!).:(

[Edited on 3-24-2018 by unbob]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-24-2018 at 10:10 AM

My philosophy on bad roads, or finding streets, or getting there... It all works out in the end...

If there was no Baja Nomad to read, you would go to the East crossing, deal with the detours and maybe take longer than before, but sooner or later you will be back home... often with a good story to tell! Others in motorhomes have done it. Bummer there is construction.

Wishing you a speedy trip and success at getting your refund!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2018 at 07:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
My philosophy on bad roads, or finding streets, or getting there... It all works out in the end... Wishing you a speedy trip and success at getting your refund!
Gracias David! Agreed it all works out in the end. I'm not concerned re wait time, etc - just wanna make sure I get my $300 back!

jkruk
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2018 at 06:08 AM

When you get to mexicalli ,ask you phone for directions to holtville in California on highway 7 . It will guide you right to the east crossing.
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2018 at 09:10 PM

We have a Garmin GPS with Mexico map that has just been updated. It got us to the East crossing last year, but apparently there are changes this year.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.