Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Retiring in Baja
drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2018 at 04:56 PM
Retiring in Baja

Good day. I would like to get some perspective from persons who have retired or stay long term in Baja. What have you done right and/or what might have you done differently? The wife and I are coming to a cross roads and have the opportunity to stay in Baja full-time and would just like to get some insight from some fellow Nomads. We can move to Baja this summer, I am 42, or I can work for a couple more years then come down. We currently have a lot with a travel trailer and garage in BCS. Thanks...
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-25-2018 at 05:00 PM

Take the money and run!

drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2018 at 05:21 PM

I'll have a small military pension, which should cover monthly living expenses and have some left pesos left over. I can start working as a contractor for a couple years and make some pretty decent money. We don't have a house in the states..... so no need to worry about any mortgages and anything really tying us down. The wife and I are just trying to figure things out. The idea of moving to Baja at the age of 42 sounds pretty appealing.... enjoy it while younger. Just not sure if we'll get bored etc., will need to keep busy.. maybe start paining the Baja landscape, astronomy, surfing and the like.

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Take the money and run!
8knots
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2018 at 05:23 PM

If you decide to retire in Baja, as anywhere, have a hobby or a cause or a passion to spend time on. Ya need something to look forward to every day and to keep you on your toes learning or progressing in some manner.

Also, how tolerant are you of summer time heat and humidity....might need a short term escape plan.
drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2018 at 05:36 PM

Our place is over on the Sea of Cortez.... definitely hot and humid during the summer. We'll probably rent a small house on the Pacific every year from July-October to escape the weather; that's what we are doing this summer. I will definitely need to find a good hobby if we move there full time. I think painting would be pretty fun.

Quote: Originally posted by 8knots  
If you decide to retire in Baja, as anywhere, have a hobby or a cause or a passion to spend time on. Ya need something to look forward to every day and to keep you on your toes learning or progressing in some manner.

Also, how tolerant are you of summer time heat and humidity....might need a short term escape plan.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2018 at 06:41 PM

everyone's different and you'll get a load of opinions.....if I were in my 40's and had substantial dough, I'd park myself in los cabos!:yes:
drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2018 at 06:58 PM

No substantial dough here... just enough to live in Baja in our travel trailer with a little left over. Definitely not enough to live in California without working. I wish I could just win the lottery....

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
everyone's different and you'll get a load of opinions.....if I were in my 40's and had substantial dough, I'd park myself in los cabos!:yes:
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 3-25-2018 at 08:30 PM

You should talk to fishbuck.....
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-25-2018 at 09:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by drzura  
I'll have a small military pension, which should cover monthly living expenses and have some left pesos left over. I can start working as a contractor for a couple years and make some pretty decent money. We don't have a house in the states..... so no need to worry about any mortgages and anything really tying us down. The wife and I are just trying to figure things out. The idea of moving to Baja at the age of 42 sounds pretty appealing.... enjoy it while younger. Just not sure if we'll get bored etc., will need to keep busy.. maybe start paining the Baja landscape, astronomy, surfing and the like.

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Take the money and run!

Baja is where old people go to retire. Portland or Bend are where young people go to retire.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-25-2018 at 09:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
You should talk to fishbuck.....

I'm speechless that he gets to retire at 42!
I need to ask him for advice.:light:

[Edited on 3-26-2018 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 3-26-2018 at 12:18 AM

The only regret I have about moving to Baja full time - I should have done it a lot earlier. Life has never been better. Live on less than $1,500 a month. Most of it for food. It's been more than 10 years now. A well built house (though inexpensive) will take care of the winter cold (heated floors) and the summer heat (double thick walls and AC). Solar heat and power help even more. Best addition was a pool.

Harald Pietschmann
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-26-2018 at 06:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
The only regret I have about moving to Baja full time - I should have done it a lot earlier. Life has never been better. Live on less than $1,500 a month. Most of it for food. It's been more than 10 years now. A well built house (though inexpensive) will take care of the winter cold (heated floors) and the summer heat (double thick walls and AC). Solar heat and power help even more. Best addition was a pool.

The cigar is a necessary mosquito-repelant for people that stay in baja sur over the summer, an important aid to avoiding dengue fever and Zika virus. Is also a good emetic if you feel it necessary to vomit after ingesting poison, bad food, etc.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2018 at 07:30 AM

Give it a whirl and remember, there are so many options if you are not happy with the first choice.

With Kindle, books are not an issue any more - this is one of the most wonderful inventions on the planet!

For painting, bear in mind that you have to have a system in place so that you can get your materials down to Baja.

Hopefully wherever you chose has lots of people because you will find that socializing can be really fun when you are retired!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 3-26-2018 at 08:05 AM

I was under the impression someone wanting to legally retire to Mexico must meet certain requirements like starting the process at the Mexican Counsel near your home in the USA, proof of income like a pension...If living on an FMM (180 day tourist permit ) working is not permitted and if turned in could lead to deportation and a 10 year ban on visiting Mexico...The OP should check with the Counsel in Virginia ...............

https://www.mexperience.com/financial-criteria-for-residency...

[Edited on 3-26-2018 by bajagrouper]

I hear the whales song
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2018 at 08:09 AM

There are so many people living illegally in Mexico they can not track them. Very few get deported.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 3-26-2018 at 08:33 AM

Harold,

That truly is a GREAT retirement photo ! Say's it all....
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 3-26-2018 at 09:28 AM
DRZURA

Check your u2u
tbnoble
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2018 at 09:45 AM

Gosh I wish I had done it at 42. My wife retired and I semi-retired (teach online college) and we moved down here (in El Socorrito south of Los Pinos) a year ago. We learned a lot, not everything that seems simple or easy is in fact that way. We are grateful we did the move. We all have different expectations and things we feel are priorities. Each day is something new it seems, I guess be flexible would be my advice.
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 3-26-2018 at 11:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
There are so many people living illegally in Mexico they can not track them. Very few get deported.

Yes I know, that is why in my first line I wrote:""It is my understanding someone wanting to legally retire to Mexico""

I realize there are people who b-tch about illegal aliens in the USA but turn around and become illegal aliens in Mexico...

I love the lyrics of Banana Republics by Jimmy Buffet:

Down to the Banana Republics
Down to the tropical sun
Go the expatriated American
Hopin' to find some fun
Some of them go for the sailing
Brought by the lure of the sea
Tryin' to find what is ailing
Living in the land of the free
Some of them are running to lovers
Leaving no forward address
Some of them are running tons of ganja
Some are running from the IRS

I hear the whales song
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2018 at 11:36 AM

JMO now.....say goodbye to san lucas cove and plop yourself down on the left side where the weathers good year round, close to a big city where theres people,shopping,bars and restaurants, night life and a short hop the border if need be. its workin great for me:coolup:
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.