Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Mex. 1 in deteriorated condition - potholes OMG
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2018 at 09:41 AM
Mex. 1 in deteriorated condition - potholes OMG

Traveled March 11, returned March 23. Never seen Mex. 1 in such bad condition. There is new paving just north and ending at Guayaquil (north of Catavina); but thereafter - until Baja Sur (south of Guerrero Negro) -- there are seriously numerous, large and deep potholes, along with deteriorated bumpy pavement. There are a couple newly paved stretches - possibly the plan is to repave all of it, and in the intervening 12 days of my trip, there were some potholes filled near Catavina (a drop in the bucket). A couple are so large and wide, you can't go around or skim over - I braked hard to avoid driving into one and was almost rear-ended. Another incident, a huge semi truck was behind me wanting to pass, but potholes abounded and I couldn't slow down or stop or pull over because the truck was on my bumper - had to swerve around potholes as he attempted to start passing me. Really very dangerous. On the plus side, the traffic is relatively light, and the truck traffic almost decimated, which allowed me to drive 35-40 mph to get past and swerve around or drive down the middle of the lanes to avoid the worst sections. Hundreds of miles of this. Also, the pavement is gone in the two large dips near Catavina that usually wash out - these sections seem to be undergoing a major rebuilding - maybe a bridge is planned. I actually saw no construction work being done at all in all of Baja norte, so will be slow to improve I think.
Cappy
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2018 at 09:47 AM

Thank you for the report. On my way next few weeks
toronja
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2018 at 10:33 AM

Ooooof. Thanks for the update. We really wanted to visit friends in Ensenada on our way north, but sounds like Mex 5 is a comparative cakewalk right now.

[Edited on 3-26-2018 by toronja]
tobias
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2018 at 01:11 PM

Heading back that way soon.
Below the 5 a few months ago it was brutal. Hope its not much worse
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-26-2018 at 01:17 PM

talked to someone that used mex5 yesterday///

he said the dirt part is REALLY BAD

23 miles of bad road

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-26-2018 at 01:21 PM

You guys would have freaked if you drove it around 1980-1984! The same area as today, only worse... It is just far from cities so no 'important' people complained!!! We didn't have a Hwy. 5 option either as it took 5 hours just to drive the 45 miles from Gonzaga to Puertecitos then (in 4WD)!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

English bob

[*] posted on 3-26-2018 at 02:02 PM

Thanks for this...we leave to go north April 4th
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2018 at 02:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
You guys would have freaked if you drove it around 1980-1984! The same area as today, only worse... It is just far from cities so no 'important' people complained!!! We didn't have a Hwy. 5 option either as it took 5 hours just to drive the 45 miles from Gonzaga to Puertecitos then (in 4WD)!

No David...The potholes are worse now because they are much deeper. Truck traffic I assume. The deteriorated road in the 80's did not eat wheels and suspensions like these do...Just made us go slow.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2018 at 02:16 PM

Someone just reported over on TalkBaja of seeing paving machines on 5. Don't know if it is true or not but I will be going through there in another week.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2018 at 02:43 PM

lol.....:no:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-26-2018 at 02:54 PM

It all depends when you drive it compared to when a crew was filling it with dirt or blacktop as to how deep they are. I remember areas around Punta Prieta with sections like or worse than the first 25 miles to Punta Abreojos was in 2017 and in 2016 on my previous trip! Just got to go slow! The Tortugas/ Asuncion road was bad in section in 2012. It may be based around elections, too?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2018 at 06:23 PM

Good to know. I am heading through next month. Thanks for the report.
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2018 at 06:47 PM

I just drove this both directions. Heading south past El Rosario expect the nasty potholes to start abruptly at KM 145 and expect it way beyond Catavina. It is bad through CataviƱa and getting worse. One horrible pothole in an arroyo just north of Sara Maria the size of a hot tub. Lots of cattle. DO NOT consider driving at night.

[Edited on 3-27-2018 by bajadogs]
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2018 at 11:10 PM

Drove down the 18th as far as Sierra San Francisco and then a 12 hour run back up yesterday. Its as bad as advertised and as bad as its been in places for a long time. Most of the road is a-ok its just where its bad its bad. I drive an F-250 with BFG's & Bilstiens so it wasn't as bad for me. :saint: There were a LOT of passenger type vehicles and trucks pulling 5th wheels slowing down to a stop at some of the big ones including the hot tub. The swerve game was in full mode. It seemed that everyone with a tent was loaded up and heading south for a warm beach some where. It made it hard to pass and you had to be extra vigilant when using the other lane to avoid some of the holes. Semana Santa is in full swing. YMMV. :dudette:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

billklaser
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2018 at 07:24 AM

Driving to Loreto tomorrow. With current conditions I recommend to slow down. I noticed on my last trip in Jan. small cars seem to be traveling the fastest. They will suffer more damage when hitting the deep " Baches", Just take more time slow down.
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2018 at 09:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajadogs  
I just drove this both directions. Heading south past El Rosario expect the nasty potholes to start abruptly at KM 145 and expect it way beyond Catavina. It is bad through CataviƱa and getting worse. One horrible pothole in an arroyo just north of Sara Maria the size of a hot tub. Lots of cattle. DO NOT consider driving at night.

[Edited on 3-27-2018 by bajadogs]

I'll second the cattle hazard. We drove from Bahia de los Angeles to Loreto and back last week and saw much more cattle than usual munching right at the roadside. When you are in pothole dodging mode the cows seem to pop up out of nowhere.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 3-27-2018 at 09:37 AM

Gotta love the Mexican meme response to everything down here...

Pothole-03.jpg - 42kB

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2018 at 10:06 AM

Not quite sure what all the pothole hysteria is all about. I drove thru there twice in November -- we saw these guys working on Highway 1, maybe 6-8 miles north of the Bay of LA turnoff. And yes, a great place to pass.

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2018 at 10:14 AM

Yah, I remember that,, GF and I did it in a 2wd dodge van,,hadn't seen anything like that road in my life before. Or since! <;~O. We saw 'Peurtocitos Highway' on the roadmap,, looked like a bit of a scenic shortcut. Little did we know it would be 3-4 daze before finding highway one again.

I remember many miles on intense washboard, then driving along a cliff edge, broken cars abandoned, maneuvering around boulders on what was left of the road. Then there was a very large arroyo, down, down, sand getting softer, knowing we'd be totally stuck if we stopped.... then saw a break in the road! :wow:. Locals were great,,, came along, pulled us out, and refused our peso offerings of gratitude.

Baja 'adventurers' today are a rather different bunch. <;~/
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2018 at 10:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajadogs  
.......DO NOT consider driving at night. ]

Did the whole stretch from Rosarito N to El Rosario at night, with a stop in Guerro Negro with Shari and the grays the day between.

I found the night driving all right, just wait for someone slow, and follow in behind. There's little traffic, darkness and headlights give good warning of oncoming traffic., lights and the vehicle ahead highlight the potholes, and the only cows to worry about are the kamikaze jumpers. You 'just' need a night driving mentality, and some Ativan if there's a wife onboard. <;~l

[Edited on 3-27-2018 by micah202]
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.