Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Mex. 1 in deteriorated condition - potholes OMG
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2018 at 10:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
Not quite sure what all the pothole hysteria is all about. I drove thru there twice in November -- we saw these guys working on Highway 1, maybe 6-8 miles north of the Bay of LA turnoff. And yes, a great place to pass.

They only did a short distance and then left.
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2018 at 11:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Not quite sure what all the pothole hysteria is all about. I drove thru there twice in November -- we saw these guys working on Highway 1, maybe 6-8 miles north of the Bay of LA turnoff. And yes, a great place to pass.

Yah, a bit of a teaser that. You get to a newly paved section, think it's all good, speed up, and WHAM,, it starts again. <;~\
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2018 at 01:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by micah202  
Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

Yah, a bit of a teaser that. You get to a newly paved section, think it's all good, speed up, and WHAM,, it starts again. <;~\

Their secret weapon: our complacency

wiltonh
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2018 at 09:19 PM

We did Highway 1 from La Paz to Mex 5 and then up through San Felipe. The biggest pot hole was on Highway 1 before the turn off. It looked more like a grave than a pot hole. As we approached there was an 18 wheeler almost stopped going through. I would guess it was 6 to 8 feet wide and maybe 12 to 14 inches deep. It could easily break an axle if hit at speed. There was a crew filling pot holes to the North so maybe they will get that one fixed. It would take a lot of patch to fill that hole.

The dirt portion of Mex 5 was a little rough in the construction area but they let you drive on the new road in some places. We were driving a Dodge van and it took about 1.5 hours and the odometer said it was 21 miles.

The real surprise to me was the condition of the road after the construction. The first part was new and very nice but then you got in to older sections where there were lots of pot holes. In general they were not deep like the one I saw on Highway 1 but they did slow us down. Once you get to San Felipe the road was good all the way to the border.
Rossman
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2018 at 04:57 AM

I just drove the stretch from Gonzaga to Asuncion yesterday, for the 4th time in 3 weeks. There was some stretches between Chapala and BOLA cutoff that had been freshly patched as compared to 2 weeks ago. It was a very good patching job too, by filling all of the holes, not just one here and one there. The patching was already starting to deteriorate so it probably won't be long before it is back to the same condition. The road from Punta Prieta to the Santa Rosaliita cutoff has been getting worse over the past 6 months. A lot of big, deep, and unavoidable potholes. Yesterday there was also some signs of fresh patching in that stretch but to rhyme or reason to the patching. One mile of fresh patches and then 5 miles not being touched and then 1/2 mile of fresh patches. The didn't even choose the worst of the worst areas to patch.

As for the 23 mile stretch, I've driven it probably driven it in excess of 20 times since it became "the 23 mile stretch", in good and bad conditions, and in truth, the drive time from my worst trip to my best trip has not varied more than 8 minutes. For me, in my vehicle, the way I drive, it is 1 hour and 10 minutes from pavement to pavement. Yesterday it was an hour and 7 minutes, so a bit better than the average. And yes, a lot of pavement going down on the new road but a hell of a lot more to do to even get ready for paving in most visible areas.
billklaser
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2018 at 07:39 AM

Just drove from San Diego to Loreto yesterday. There are still areas to be fixed but much better than mid January. Worst area for potholes is approx. 10 to 20 miles north of Catavina. Slow way down through there. Another bad spot is the road south of Punta Prieta as mentioned. Jesus Maria to Guerro Negro some bad potholes. South of Guerro good except going through Santa Rosalia, however new pavement through town is about half done. The problem areas still need attention, but I was glad to see work being done.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-30-2018 at 08:02 AM

Guerrero Negro (it means Black Warrior, the name of a whaling ship that sunk in the lagoon that was called Frenchman's Lagoon before).

Here's the rest of the story: https://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/guerrero...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

billklaser
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2018 at 08:14 AM

David, thanks for teaching me how to spell "Guerrero" correctly. Good information.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-30-2018 at 09:24 AM

No charge Bill! That is perhaps the most misspelled place in Baja?

It joins a few others that many people have trouble getting right: :biggrin:

Santa Rosalillita
San Francisquito
Los Barriles
Puertecitos
Alfonsina's
Santo Tomás
San Vicente
Mulegé
Loreto
Mexicali
Rosarito
San Quintín

... to name a few! :lol:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

billklaser
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2018 at 07:30 AM

Just drove back from Loreto to San Diego. Most of the bad pothole areas have now been patched. Still some open holes between Guerrero Negro and Jesus Maria. Not too many but hard to see. Many of the patched areas have left a rough road, but at least for now the holes are filled.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.