BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Baja to Mainland Mexico (recommendations)?
kevin_in_idaho
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2018 at 04:55 PM
Baja to Mainland Mexico (recommendations)?

We're starting to plan a rather long trip from Idaho to San Diego then down to Mainland Mexico along the Gulf of Mexico and eventually to see the Butterfly migration and points further south, then back up North maybe through Texas (Big Bend NP?) and then back to Idaho. We'd probably go down into Baja and hit the wine counrtry then traverse over to the mainland. We've talked about taking the ferry over but think we'd rather drive. We have a camper and have done month long trips before. This could be longer; we have no schedule.

This would proably be late 2018 into early 2019.

Any recommendations (sites, routes, places, camping spots, etc., etc.)????

Thanks!

Kevin
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 3-26-2018 at 08:11 PM

I hung out one night on the beach at San Rafael in December with a family who owned a rafting company in Idaho. They went down Baja, then over to the mainland.

Mom and dad, and 3 kids in a big, tricked out van loaded with surf boards.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2018 at 08:43 PM

Camper - plan on sleeping in there and can make your meals, or need a hotel and restaurant?

Also depends on how far South in Baja you want to go. Ferries to mainland sail from Sta Rosalia and La Paz.

Edit: just noticed that you won't take a ferry. Disregard that part.

[Edited on 3-27-2018 by Alm]
kevin_in_idaho
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2018 at 08:45 PM

Camper as in a truck camper. We normally cook, sleep, etc. in it.

We won't go into Baja per se and probably just hit the wine region near Ensenada, then over and around down into the mainland. We'd rather drive than take the ferry so we can see more as we travel around and over.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2018 at 09:17 PM

Ensenada camps are either North or South of Ensenada.

Here is one low-key at the North: http://www.ontheroadin.com/villa-de-san-miguel-ensenada-baja... - if it's still open.

bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 3-26-2018 at 09:22 PM

If you do the route described above you will get to see plenty of desert. I just did a trip from Guadalajara to Mazatlan and ferried to La Paz, up Baja to San Diego...

I hear the whales song
kevin_in_idaho
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2018 at 02:52 AM

That sounds like a nice trip fro Guadalajara to Mazatlán the over and up but I doubt we'd go to the La Paz BUT I would like to know your experience on the ferry and how it went and what type of vehicle you were in, etc. You never know.

We did a long trip down Baja last year so trip down Mainland appeals to us at this time. I've been to Guadalajara and Mex. City for work quite a few years ago and the bigger cities don't normally appeal to us. We'd rather see the other sights.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2018 at 07:35 AM

You could include the Copper Canyon via train (leave camper in Creel - go as far as El Fuerte and return), and a few days exploring in the state of Chihuahua. Depends on your interests. There are Anasazi ruins, the Tarahumara culture, unique art pottery and pottery-making.
Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2018 at 07:47 AM

Check out iOverlander.com for suggestions on places to camp. Mike and Terri Church published a book on camp grounds in Mexico. It is out of date, but still useful. Always double check on Google to make sure the places they list are still functioning. Lots of great places to stay and things to do. Can't help you much north of Mazatlan because we take the ferry from La Paz to Mazatlan every year and begin our trip there. Lots of places within a days drive of the butterflies where you could do some exploring or make a base. Or keep going south to the jungles in Chiapas. Too much territory to list all the possibilities here. When your research gets a little more focused, I could give you some input.
Sonora Wind
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2018 at 09:23 AM

So when you say " Travel along the gulf " Are you planning to drive the dirt roads along the gulf or run to and from the gulf down the main Hwy If you mean the former then take more than two spares and head for town when your down to only two spares. If your planning the latter, then skip Rocky Point but do see kino Bay, and San Carlos. If your in Kino during the month of May, check in at Club Deportivo and ask for Jim, Captain of Serenity Boat. I'll take you on a National Geographic Expedition. I mean fishin. :cool:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-27-2018 at 11:14 AM

Hi Jim!:biggrin:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
3-27-2018 at 11:31 AM
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 3-27-2018 at 01:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by kevin_in_idaho  
That sounds like a nice trip fro Guadalajara to Mazatl�n the over and up but I doubt we'd go to the La Paz BUT I would like to know your experience on the ferry and how it went and what type of vehicle you were in, etc. You never know.

We did a long trip down Baja last year so trip down Mainland appeals to us at this time. I've been to Guadalajara and Mex. City for work quite a few years ago and the bigger cities don't normally appeal to us. We'd rather see the other sights.

I've driven from below Yuma (San Luis) to San Carlos, Sonora a dozen+ times. And from Sonora to Mazatlan once. I keep my boat in San Carlos.

Overall, the drive in Sonora is much easier as the roads are much better than Baja. But it is way less interesting.

San Carlos is a very cool town. Probably better than any in Baja.

Video I made of SC: https://youtu.be/GKTBVCIQ_z8

Skip Rocky Point, it's a crap hole. Copper Canyon is a great suggestion.

[Edited on 3-27-2018 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2018 at 02:06 PM

Try posting at Rv.net -> Mexico section
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings/forum...

Nomads here don't travel much, they live there.
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2018 at 03:07 PM

Hitting Mazatlan and down to PV there are several places including Matanchen Bay with Santa Cruz on the south end at the river mouth (stay away from San Blas on the north end) there's some nice surfing grounds and camp areas. From there to PV are some gems also.
You can take the coast route to Manzanilla then head up to Guadalajara. Look up the Parque Acuatico off the 80 and spend a night there...the kids will love the hot pools.
I would not go further south on the coast through Colima as there are problems in that area now. I would also advise you to stay away from the coast line of Michoacan and Guerrero with your family. There are a lot of surfing areas there and within populations those are somewhat safe but the road between is a high risk area and that is where some of the best spots are.
Guadalajara is a zoo but if you can camp anywhere near there and ride the bus in you can visit the museums and such. If you go north up over Lago Chapala on the 80 to the 150 south you can hit Patzcuaro and work your way over to Paracho and see the guitar shops that are world famous now.
If big cities are not your thing skirt back up on the east side of Guadalajara and start hitting the colonial towns (large and small) across to the Gulf.
Once again up the Gulf side just have your wits about you from Pozo Rica on up through Tampico and Tamaulipas. With your van and boards on top your an obvious tourist. Always garner the best information of the road ahead from others in the camp sites and share what you know about where they may be headed.
Just some words of wisdom from a seasoned traveler of these roads since the '70s and it ain't those days any more.
kevin_in_idaho
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2018 at 03:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Sonora Wind  
So when you say " Travel along the gulf " Are you planning to drive the dirt roads along the gulf or run to and from the gulf down the main Hwy If you mean the former then take more than two spares and head for town when your down to only two spares. If your planning the latter, then skip Rocky Point but do see kino Bay, and San Carlos. If your in Kino during the month of May, check in at Club Deportivo and ask for Jim, Captain of Serenity Boat. I'll take you on a National Geographic Expedition. I mean fishin. :cool:

Probably the latter. I doubt we'd go down the gulf on the dirt roads. Thanks for the info and would love to fish down there but we're probably going down in early Jan.
kevin_in_idaho
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2018 at 03:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  
Hitting Mazatlan and down to PV there are several places including Matanchen Bay with Santa Cruz on the south end at the river mouth (stay away from San Blas on the north end) there's some nice surfing grounds and camp areas. From there to PV are some gems also.
You can take the coast route to Manzanilla then head up to Guadalajara. Look up the Parque Acuatico off the 80 and spend a night there...the kids will love the hot pools.
I would not go further south on the coast through Colima as there are problems in that area now. I would also advise you to stay away from the coast line of Michoacan and Guerrero with your family. There are a lot of surfing areas there and within populations those are somewhat safe but the road between is a high risk area and that is where some of the best spots are.
Guadalajara is a zoo but if you can camp anywhere near there and ride the bus in you can visit the museums and such. If you go north up over Lago Chapala on the 80 to the 150 south you can hit Patzcuaro and work your way over to Paracho and see the guitar shops that are world famous now.
If big cities are not your thing skirt back up on the east side of Guadalajara and start hitting the colonial towns (large and small) across to the Gulf.
Once again up the Gulf side just have your wits about you from Pozo Rica on up through Tampico and Tamaulipas. With your van and boards on top your an obvious tourist. Always garner the best information of the road ahead from others in the camp sites and share what you know about where they may be headed.
Just some words of wisdom from a seasoned traveler of these roads since the '70s and it ain't those days any more.

Awesome, thanks for all the suggestions. No kids on this trip and probably won't take my surfboard, etc. Any other suggestions please post away :-)
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 3-27-2018 at 06:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by kevin_in_idaho  
That sounds like a nice trip fro Guadalajara to Mazatl�n the over and up but I doubt we'd go to the La Paz BUT I would like to know your experience on the ferry and how it went and what type of vehicle you were in, etc. You never know.

The ferry trip was great, I haven't been on a Baja ferry since the early 90's ( Cabo to Puerto Vallarta )...I purchased the ticket online and picked up the actual paper ticket when I arrived at the dock in Mazatlan...The agents spoke English and I received 2 tickets, 1 for my 2015 Subaru Outback and 1 for me and the cabin. Sailed at 6:30 PM and about 7 there was an announcement for dinner ( included with the ticket price ) went to the restaurant / bar and enjoyed a rum and coke for 45 Pesos which I thought was reasonable...The cabin was set up for 4 people ( I was solo) and had a bathroom with shower, slept like a baby and got ready to depart at 7:30 AM, enjoyed free coffee and sweet rolls. The only surprise was a get off the pier fee of 175 Pesos in La Paz...Over had a great time and the auto, cabin and me for a total of $200 USD......Hope this helps.

I hear the whales song
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2018 at 06:30 PM

I just did a really fun route in the Copper Canyon. Did the el Fuerte, Choix, Tubares, Batopilas route then out to Parral. Don´t know what your driving but it can be done in a 2 wheel drive higher clearence vehicle. I only put mine in 4wd crossing the river (knee deep) but didn´t really need it. It blows any rim excursion away. Highly recomend it!

Also the coast south of Colima (Michoacan especially) is some of the most beautiful coastline in Mexico. I live in Colima and drive it with my wife and daughter a couple times a year. Don´t drive at night and you´ll be fine.

[Edited on 3-28-2018 by chippy]
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 3-27-2018 at 06:51 PM

Unless I missed it, nobody talked about going a little further south in Baja to see the whales. If you have the time it's an experience that you will carry with you the rest of your lives.

The timing is right if you go the beginning of the year rather than the end. January is good but February is better. If you have any interest in this incredible experience contact Shari on this board and she will set you up.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

kevin_in_idaho
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2018 at 08:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
Unless I missed it, nobody talked about going a little further south in Baja to see the whales. If you have the time it's an experience that you will carry with you the rest of your lives.

The timing is right if you go the beginning of the year rather than the end. January is good but February is better. If you have any interest in this incredible experience contact Shari on this board and she will set you up.

It is amazing and we did that last year! We've pretty much done the Baja trip down 2/3rds of the way. It's awesome!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.