Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Piece of dirt
Timo1
Senior Nomad

Mood: Lovin every minute of it

[*] posted on 3-30-2018 at 08:52 AM

Mexitron
I don't recall the name of those plants but I suspect they are more of a hardy fern than a palm.
We bought them at a roadside vendor and they were pricey.
The bulb at the bottom is half in and half out of the ground and is about the size of a softball.
I was told the name but didn't write it down.
I have a vice-like mind that never forgets anything... NOT !!!!

sold out and got out !!!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-30-2018 at 09:08 AM

Hi Tim,
Thanks for the look at your Baja Project!

The 'palms' look like Sagos, what do you think Mexitron? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycas_revoluta

Maybe plant more papaya, as they are more like palms, tall and skinny. You can order seeds from more varieties if you like. Bananas if you can get some offshoots from someone else's plant... but give them more room as they grow out and get wider without management.

A drip system on a solar or battery timer will ensure irrigation is consistent and cause the fastest growth.

Congratulations on your winter escape home!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Timo1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2018 at 09:10 AM

I can't believe it but I was wrong again !!
It's a couple of Sago palms.

sold out and got out !!!
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 3-30-2018 at 11:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Hi Tim,
Thanks for the look at your Baja Project!

The 'palms' look like Sagos, what do you think Mexitron? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycas_revoluta

Maybe plant more papaya, as they are more like palms, tall and skinny. You can order seeds from more varieties if you like. Bananas if you can get some offshoots from someone else's plant... but give them more room as they grow out and get wider without management.

A drip system on a solar or battery timer will ensure irrigation is consistent and cause the fastest growth.

Congratulations on your winter escape home!

Yes, that's what I was thinking but I hesitated since I've never seen Sagos in Baja before, lol. Thought they'd more likely be some Date Palms that had been cut back. Keep them watered Tim!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-30-2018 at 03:17 PM

Tim confirmed as he posted 2 minutes after me, so probably hadn't seen my reply. Sagos in Baja! What will the world come to???

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2018 at 05:10 PM

Last year Juan had a few carvings on the low wall outside off the office at the La Bufadora Inn that have to be the same artist.

My east coast friends loved them, but they were a bit heavy to consider hauling them back north, and shipping them to the east coast with them was not possible. $$$$$

Nevertheless, the quality was appreciated, and BA is lucky to have him there. They are a thing of beauty and any home would love to have one or three or more of this artists pieces.

Happy Good Friday and Easter. Thanks to all here.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 3-30-2018 at 07:31 PM

nice work I can tell everything is done with love.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-31-2018 at 07:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surfhat  
Last year Juan had a few carvings on the low wall outside off the office at the La Bufadora Inn that have to be the same artist.

My east coast friends loved them, but they were a bit heavy to consider hauling them back north, and shipping them to the east coast with them was not possible. $$$$$

Nevertheless, the quality was appreciated, and BA is lucky to have him there. They are a thing of beauty and any home would love to have one or three or more of this artists pieces.

Happy Good Friday and Easter. Thanks to all here.

Not too heavy! 12"x30" similar to my personal best Vieja!

rsz_img_1829.jpg - 91kB

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-31-2018 at 09:16 AM

Woody,
I have seen the 20 million year old megaloden teeth from the Bahia Asuncion area....but that is the first dorado fossil from the area...:coolup:

Don't believe everything you think....
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 3-31-2018 at 09:22 AM

That looks like a Sheep Head

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2018 at 09:22 AM

and a bottle of Zima!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-1-2018 at 03:26 PM

Vieja and a Zima. And sorta f'in heavy!!!

edit: better foto!

[Edited on 4-1-2018 by woody with a view]

rsz_1img_1841.jpg - 200kB

CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2018 at 05:29 PM

Those sago palms are beautiful - My experience with them is they do great in containers .. I planted teeny tiny babies like 4" in 1997 in containers that were 20" diameter and they exploded to fill them - we sold that place in 2003 and didn't take any photos. But I enjoyed them ..

Thank you for sharing the video and your journey. Wishing you both happiness and good times - dreams coming true :-)

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 4-2-2018 at 07:42 PM

Your place is really coming along nicely...you will be amazed how great it will look when your plants start filling out and creeping up the fence. It is such a great campfire party location too!

I remember moving here to la bufadora and there was not a lick of green, not one tree or plant out here on the rock but years of experimenting with what plants like the salty wind paid off and our trees & gardens are beautiful now. The biggest surprise was the Norfolk pine and how enormous it grew so fast.

Norte...actually Asuncion has more trees and gardens than any other west coastal fishing village I have seen in central baja and a wonderful variety of trees and flowers. Our main street has beautiful flowers and bougainvillea in planters down the middle. The village has grown up around the beach which is the main feature of the town.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
gueribo
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2018 at 01:57 PM

What a wonderful project. Will look forward to seeing updates.
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2018 at 01:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Timo1  
This is what my wife and I accomplished with a 500 sq/m piece of barren ground.
Took us two trips to BA and a little imagination.
We LOVE it !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER64n3ixIy4

Nice Timo, but I do have a question. how come when I pull it up on u-tube, all of the other videos recomended on the right side are all about male to female transformations, cross dressing etc (outside of 1 motorcycle baja trip video)

Not sure how U tube does that, i guess i'm trying to figure out if it's you, or me that triggered UTube to put in all those other videos!
Timo1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 07:31 AM

hahahahaha !!!
Gotta be a you-tube thing.
Last I looked, all my parts were in the right places

sold out and got out !!!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.