Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Mx5 work & update
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-28-2018 at 12:01 PM

The reason for paving the south end of hwy 5 first, might be as simple as proximity to the batch plant they set up for this project, and production capacity. But that is just a guess!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2018 at 06:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
The reason for paving the south end of hwy 5 first, might be as simple as proximity to the batch plant they set up for this project, and production capacity. But that is just a guess!

Last year there was a batch plant set up on the north end as well. You can see the remnants of it.

David...The North side is no longer ready for pavement. too long a time with too many cars going around the barriers. The road bed will have to be rebuilt.

Some people are trying to drive on the pavement jumping off the embankment at the last minute, some places showing erosion already.

At this rate it will never get finished.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2018 at 06:41 PM

you mean this isn't going to be AMLO's top priority??:o
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 6-28-2018 at 08:34 PM

Sad to see how it was really prepped 18 months ago out of Gonzaga and now apparently will have to be re-done.
Still a mystery to me why they don't blacktop as they go.
Lots of effort to just do over again.
And, sure would be easier for the workers and the equipment to access the job site on pavement and not on rocks.

Just an unofficial look at the terrain and status, I would think that if they pushed hard that they could pave from both ends to a stretch no more than a couple miles in the middle. Apparently that makes too much sense....
Von
Senior Nomad

Mood: getting ready!

[*] posted on 7-8-2018 at 02:58 PM

Well Ill be heading rt though there tomorrow , I hope my Subi does ok

im sure It will be ok, I went by 3yrs ago and did ok.

READY SET.....................
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2018 at 03:26 PM

The road is showing a lot of wear. Blacktop still not open as of yesterday. Barriers knocked down on the new roadbed to the east of pavement so won't be long for that to be ruined as well. New government installed in December...don't know whether that will help or not.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2018 at 03:28 PM

Wondering what happened? The original contractor had all new equipment and hundreds of people working. Was stopped because the cactus were not being protected. Subsequent contractors were slow (at least three that I know of). In Mexico there are not many multi-year contracts.
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 7-21-2018 at 02:42 PM
Hwy 1 Condition south of km 46 north of Puertocitos

We were down as far as were the new construction road cuts into the old road past Coco’s a few weeks ago. The heavy truck traffic is still going by Coco’s. There has been an attempt to block the sand shortcut to Coco’s, it was still passable however. The truck traffic has increased to 10 or more trucks per hr 24 hrs a day with a fair number of them having Jake brakes. Heavier during the week from 4:00 to 22:00.

We came back via the construction road that bipasses Coco’s, it is passable in a 2x drive if you are careful. The road north of Puertocitos is being upgraded and widened. There is the usual bypass road. Looks like they are planning to go as far north as the well with the improvements. (km 64 or so)

Both the gas station at Gonzaga and Puertocitos have been upgraded to solar power to pump gas. Both had gas and were open! Next offical gas station south of Gonzaga is over 100Km at Jesus and Maria on HWY 1.

Driving to Todos Santos next month. I’ll post updates from that trip.
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 7-21-2018 at 06:33 PM

Some of you people owe me some beers! You were believers that the road would be paved soon.

The bet was several years ago, OK, who want to confess that beers are still owed?

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2018 at 08:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
Some of you people owe me some beers! You were believers that the road would be paved soon.

The bet was several years ago, OK, who want to confess that beers are still owed?

Me...but I admitted that last time you brought this up.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2018 at 08:34 PM

I told you I would leave a couple of brews at Coco's for you! Didn't you get them?

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2018 at 07:47 AM

The new section is not open yet. ANd road crews are trying hard to keep people off while they finish curbing and stripping. Unfortunately, some insist and they are causing erosion on the sides of the road bank before there is an opportunity to put the curb in.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-22-2018 at 08:36 AM

If anyone is on the newest part of Hwy. 5 (between Km. 167 and Hwy. 1), and has the desire to take notes, I would sure enjoy hearing of the newest km. markers at points along the road or where the pavement ends now if a new section is open south of Km. 167. Naturally, let us know when the Coco bypass is open (ie. highway route between Las Arrastras and the canyon section).
Thanks!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

tobias
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2018 at 09:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

I told you I would leave a couple of brews at Coco's for you! Didn't you get them?

I really like the idea of buying each other beers at coco's. I might have to drop a few pesos there next time i pass through , set up some sort of tab with coco
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 7-22-2018 at 10:15 AM

So... stupid question #342: I drive alone with my dog, am highly considering going up MX5 through Mexicali for a change of scenery. I drive an old lady AWD SUV that requires premium fuel. Gas mileage wise (if the road was paved all the way) I can make the distance from Jesus Maria to San Felipe, but just in case the dirt sections eat up my gas (don't ask) do either of the solar powered stations have premium gas? Also, is the road easy to follow? It is hard to tell with all the comments about by-passes!
tobias
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2018 at 10:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
So... stupid question #342: I drive alone with my dog, am highly considering going up MX5 through Mexicali for a change of scenery. I drive an old lady AWD SUV that requires premium fuel. Gas mileage wise (if the road was paved all the way) I can make the distance from Jesus Maria to San Felipe, but just in case the dirt sections eat up my gas (don't ask) do either of the solar powered stations have premium gas? Also, is the road easy to follow? It is hard to tell with all the comments about by-passes!

Are you sure your SUV needs premium? That is usually only very high performance stuff.
Even then , you can easily get away with a few tanks here and there of normal gasoline.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-22-2018 at 10:23 AM

BajaMama, even if they don't have premium I think putting in 200 pesos worth of regular isn't gonna hurt anything, enough to get you to San Flip no problem-o.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2018 at 10:30 AM

Gas at Gonzaga has always been 87 octane with 91 octane prices. Don't know about Puerticitos. If you really have to have 91 octane then you should be carrying octane improver in a small bottle. That is what the racer guys do. It allows getting fuel in the boondocks that only sell regular and not harming the motor. All the auto stores sell an octane improver and usually have choices of brands. BTW, my sons racer that has to have 91 octane in CA works great on the 87 octane PMEX. Conclusion is PMEX sells good stuff.
I agree with the comment above I have never heard of an SUV that wont work just fine on the lowest octane.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2018 at 10:42 AM

My wife's Acura requires premium and on a few occasions I forgot and put regular in it. Never noticed anything different while driving. By the way the 23 miles of graded road at slow speed will not change your gas mileage that much. The cars computer will compensate for the octane change.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2018 at 10:42 AM

My old Kia Sportage has surprisingly high compression. It gets better mileage, and performs better on hills with premium, but a few tanks of regular will not harm it. I do carry a couple of bottles of octane booster with me if the performance becomes an issue.

Sometimes I suspect that even when I pay extra for the good stuff, it s a blend, and is not up to the performance I expect. That is as true in the US as it is in Mexico!

I also travel alone/with dog, and there are so many more cool places on Mex 5 for us to check out, that I can't see traveling down the pacific side in the near future. (unless of course, I need to carry fuel and gear for bikers riding the seven sisters!

By the way, Coco's is a great stop, but be in control of your dog, because he has cats. My girl is ok with cats, but I do not let her run loose there anyway.

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.