Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Stolen Boat Gonzaga
hermosok123
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2018 at 07:12 PM
Stolen Boat Gonzaga

We were notified that last night, Sat. March 31st, Chuck Fister’s big Parker boat was stolen off of its anchor in the bay at Alfonsinas. I thought I would post here so everyone knows what’s going on, even though some already are aware of the situation.

The boat was taken during the night, his Casa is #23 (just nextdoor to Graff & Lori Moore). The thieves striped down, leaving pants and belt right in front of Fister’s house, and swam out to the boat. The boat is worth a lot of $$$ with the gear. The wind was blowing from the west, so they probably didn’t have to start the engine until they were well off shore.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2018 at 08:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by hermosok123  
We were notified that last night, Sat. March 31st, Chuck Fister’s big Parker boat was stolen off of its anchor in the bay at Alfonsinas. I thought I would post here so everyone knows what’s going on, even though some already are aware of the situation.

The boat was taken during the night, his Casa is #23 (just nextdoor to Graff & Lori Moore). The thieves striped down, leaving pants and belt right in front of Fister’s house, and swam out to the boat. The boat is worth a lot of $$$ with the gear. The wind was blowing from the west, so they probably didn’t have to start the engine until they were well off shore.

Aircraft thefts were getting out of hand in Baja and all of Mexico a few years back. Pilots were having to get creative with undisclosed methods of preventing starting the aircraft. That seemed to make a big difference as thefts have dropped to almost non existent. Sounds like it’s time for boaters to do the same. Getting ripped off sucks.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-1-2018 at 08:07 PM

did the boat have a satelite-gps-theft-tracking device?
sometimes helps to disable a boat on anchor by taking an engine part...
but maybe the perps came by sea, and had a tow boat to tow the loot, eh? perhaps the pants left on beach were a misdirection to throw off the chase

[Edited on 4-2-2018 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

hermosok123
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2018 at 08:21 PM

Last month one of the homes at Alphonsinas was burglarized. Doubtful if they drove out through the gate as they had a pretty good load. Sign of the times. Doesn't justify the deed but take away a mans way to make a living and they still will find a way to live. The cost of saving the Vaquita.
blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 4-1-2018 at 08:31 PM

Sounds like an episode of airplane Boat REPO

So understand dont waste your time always searching for those wasted years
face up and make your stand and realize that your living in the golden years
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2018 at 08:40 PM

Last month one of the homes at Alphonsinas was burglarized. Doubtful if they drove out through the gate as they had a pretty good load. Sign of the times. Doesn't justify the deed but take away a mans way to make a living and they still will find a way to live. The cost of saving the Vaquita.

A ban on gill netting Totuaba and trying to save the Vaquita in the upper gulf has created burglars in Gonzaga Bay. Now that is a stretch.
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2018 at 08:54 PM

The Vaquita closure is 100 miles north.fishing is legal in Gonzaga. A thief is thief. Not a displaced fisherman

[Edited on 4-2-2018 by freediverbrian]
dizzyspots
Senior Nomad

Mood: rather be on the beach at Gonzaga

[*] posted on 4-2-2018 at 08:12 AM
Parker boat stolen from Alfonsina's mooring

repost fro the Alfonsina's Yahoo group...more info to follow...

from the Alfonsinas yahoo group...We were notified that last night, Sat. March 31st, Chuck Fister’s big Parker boat was stolen off of its anchor in the bay at Alfonsinas. I thought I would post here so everyone knows what’s going on, even though some already are aware of the situation.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
4-2-2018 at 08:47 AM
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Threads Merged
4-2-2018 at 08:48 AM
bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

Mood: Airport Bum

[*] posted on 4-2-2018 at 09:14 AM

It's a hell of a lot harder to hot wire and airplane than an outboard engine. The problem at Alfonsina's is the new road which makes it a lot easier for the bad guys to get the from the cities to the North and failure of the lease holders....Alfonsina's sons....to keep the guards which we pay for paid up and alert.
Pfish

[*] posted on 4-2-2018 at 06:10 PM

It is not just Gonzaga. I was in LA Bay two summers ago and saw a boat anchored out front. Next morning, gone. They tow it to a quiet spot, take a chain saw to the engine mount and use the engine for running drugs. Mex has to crack down on these A-holes. They could bait these bastards pretty easily.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 4-2-2018 at 06:16 PM

Mex has to crack down / Wishful thinking at best.

What are they going to do with the Banditos once caught ? Send them to an already overburdoned jail system ?

Their only stealing from "rich" Gringo's anyway... Just sayin......

You've got to do your own preventative theft safeguards...

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2018 at 06:28 AM

Actually "hot wiring" a small airplane is real easy. I've repo'd them years ago. Even 40 years ago I didn't leave things out that could be started easily by "normal means". Always had hidden hurdles to overcome. But, if they want it bad enough they will find a way to get it. Learned that when I owned a burglar alarm business way back when.
The more of these- $$$$$$- the more they will try to abscond with it.

Someone needs to design a hidden "anchor alert" system that transmits to a shore alarm (battery powered). Boat moves >100 yds and the alarm wakes the dead. Takes into account anchor swing before alarm.

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2018 at 08:55 AM

Unfortunately locks are to keep honest people honest...

The best you can do is make is as difficult as possible to steal. Easier to go elsewhere.
Like Cliffy said "if they want it bad enough they will find a way to get it"

I think spot tracker is a good way to recoup you boat or vehicle once stolen. Well that and a nice "reward" for the kind Policeman.

Actually Spot tracker will send you a text or email when your car or boat is moved. Satellite , so it works in Baja.

https://www.findmespot.com/en/
Beware though , if you do the yearly renewal, in the fine print you HAVE TO cancel one month BEFORE renewal otherwise they charge for the next year and you won't get a refund.

[Edited on 4-3-2018 by Paco Facullo]

LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2018 at 10:01 AM

The spot tracker I have requires a somewhat clear view of the sky to operate reliably. This of course makes it very visible to the thieves. Maybe Spot has new miniaturized technology now as mine is several years old? I have seen very small easily concealed trackers advertised recently but no idea how well they work. Maybe someone will check in with some first hand information.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 4-3-2018 at 11:13 AM

the batteries in my spot last about 20 hours...then they need changing
I guess if you brought a bunch of AAA batteries...that would work

the thing works great

the smaller cheaper trackers are usually cell activated...you need cell service

spotty cell coverage in baja ...so the cheap trackers are really not usable

I wrap my spot in a black cover to hide the blinking lights
at night it confuses other drivers
I put it in a side window

when my boat is "out" I know exactly where it is using the SPOT

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2018 at 11:19 AM

so at 2am one of these gizmo's alerts you that your boat is headed east....now what do you do?
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 4-3-2018 at 11:34 AM

Tracking unit in this situation may not set off alarm....rather, as said, one needs to connect via cell or satellite to search for moving/stolen transmitter....

But if you had an alarm unit (motion detector type) and it indicated something moved your property, you could then activate Step B of Theft Prevention Policy ..... (ideas soon to be offered by Nomads....maybe )....;)

Don't believe everything you think....
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2018 at 12:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
(ideas soon to be offered by Nomads....maybe )....;)

Jeez, Ged, the Google isn't that hard...

http://bfy.tw/HSFM
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2018 at 12:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
the batteries in my spot last about 20 hours...then they need changing
I guess if you brought a bunch of AAA batteries...that would work

The batteries suggested to use are Ultimate Lithium Batteries.
Probably difficult to find in Baja. Next time in the US stock up on them. They lasted me about six months.

LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2018 at 12:32 PM

As in Baja and with most rural areas in the US the police response time in the wee hours allows time for the thieves to do their work and split before anyone shows up and they all know it. Unless you have your own private army ready to react they are long gone. The most effective deterrent is an ear splitting alarm tripped on entry. It attracts unknown attention and makes for very uncomfortable working conditions for the thieves. All of the hardware to put a system like this together is available from Walmart at very low cost.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.