Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: No Seeums
Sparetimewanted
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2018 at 09:19 PM
No Seeums

Going to be camping on a few beaches later this month. I have always used some type of stinky insect repellant that works ok, but I don't like coating up with it nightly. Someone told me that there are some hand lotion-type products that work. Anyone have any experience with this, or any other good repellants?

Gracias
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2018 at 09:38 PM

Avon's "Skin So Soft" lotion has been popularly reported to be effective for decades. Consumer Reports disagrees:
https://www.consumerreports.org/insect-repellents/avon-skin-...

I've been chewed up by jejenes. The aroma of 100% DEET (aka: jungle juice) is now a welcome scent!
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 4-4-2018 at 06:30 AM

I learned this from a cook at the Serenidad in Mulege 22 years ago this month... VANILLA. You have to search for it, but buy the clear Mexican vanilla; the dark stains skin and clothes. It's totally easy on the eyes and skin, and makes you stink purty. Doesn't work on drillers or biting flies, but is great for the Li'l buggers.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2018 at 07:28 AM

Poor Les had a horrible time this year with the noseeums in La Paz. We would be sitting outside and he would be going crazy while all of us would be fine. They hardly ever bother me.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2018 at 07:35 AM

There are pleasant smelling insect repellants (OFF "Tropical Fresh" and others). Also, individual wipes - after I wipe my feet, ankles, elbows, I tie the wipe to my sandal or back of my hat. I spray my clothing, not my skin. Covering up with lightweight clothing is best.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2018 at 11:18 AM

If it doesn't have a strong odor, it doesn't work. Forget about finding something with nice odor and so mild that you won't notice it.

Pennyroyal Essential Oil has peppermint odor, strong but not as unpleasant as DEET-based repellents. Same toxic as DEET - in fact, more toxic than DEEt if ingested. Wash your hands thoroughly after this. One drop smeared all over the exposed parts. Sells on Amazon.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 4-8-2018 at 11:37 AM

actually we haven't seen any this year : )

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-8-2018 at 11:41 AM

Check your blood type. The little buggers like type O just like mosquitoes.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-8-2018 at 12:26 PM

With the changes in my vision over the last few years, the group of insect pests called "no seeums" continues to expand!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2018 at 12:32 PM

Eating garlic helps some people as well and taking a dip in salt water and air dry off.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 4-8-2018 at 12:51 PM

Speaking of biting insects, this wasn't in baja but still on subject.
I had just interred Vietnam down the Mekong river. I had came from Phenon Phen, Cambodia and arrived at the small town of Chau Doc.
It was a quite relaxing ride that had stopped once at the boarder station to stamp our passports along with a beer replenishment and a pee relief.

Soon after arriving I scoped out a hotel. The interesting one I found was a floating hotel and restaurant combo, well it was many large rafts that had rooms built on them. I was shown a few rooms , the ones right next to the shore were the least Dong ( money ) there was zero view and had mosquito nets over the beds . Then I was shown a room further out on the river with a sliding glass door with a kinda balcony of sorts that looked onto the river with a great view of all the river action. When I inquired of why there was no mosquito net on the bed for this room I was told that it wasn't a problem because "not close to shore" I thought that odd but he should know since he works here?

I get the view room, crack a beer and smile inside , as I watch the fishermen throwing the nets just outside my fabulous room. After relaxing Iand taking a shower I have a couple of shots of Tequila ( I always travel with fine Tequila and shot glasses ) a must as you never know when you will make good friends. I head out to explore the new town I'm in. I end up at a bar overlooking the water and write up a trip report for the friends back home. For the many hours that I'm there there is always a most mosquito coil burning ( even so I still get some bite on my ankles )
IT's late by now, I'm drunk and hungry so I go get some noodle soup at a roadside late-night stand. The soup is great !
I catch a rickshaw back to my room and pass out for the night.

I awaken and in my hungover state and suddenly feel awfully itchy down in my nether regions ?
The itch is REAL BAD and upon further investigation I find out that my room REALLY did need a mosquito net after all...
I guess, in my drunken state I went to bed in the buff and must have exposed my ass during the night. Oye Vay !!!

Those Damn Moosies musta had quite the party as there are probably ( now I am only estimating mind you ) 20 bites in a 3" circumference around my bung hole. Those moosies had to get drunk themselves on my vary high blood alcohol level , I could just see them saying " hey look Fred my spike sinks in this skin like butter and it has quite the kick" " I LOVE IT , let's party "! and so they did...

Needless to say I got the hell outa there and vamoosed to Saigon that day.

[Edited on 4-8-2018 by Paco Facullo]

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-8-2018 at 12:52 PM

I have been pretty lucky, I guess... I only had experienced noseeums in San Blas (mainland Mexico) and never in Baja. Mosquitos, yes... they love me (O+ blood) and no amount of B vitamins helps. I don't usually camp in mosquito areas. Bahía Concepción is a place I have had to deal with them. Thank goodness Shell Island hasn't any, at least where I camp. Africanized Bees have been an issue a few times in Baja, however! :o

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2018 at 07:29 PM

Mosquito coils don't work well, even indoors where there are fewer bugs and less dissipation of smell.

I heard good things from people on mainland about these racket-looking zappers, for indoors: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WW6831F/ref=ox_sc_act_t...

Chinese quality as usual, some stop working next day, some last longer. But they won't come to this Zapper to die, you have to swap it.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 4-9-2018 at 04:54 AM

nothing works to eliminate bugs

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2018 at 05:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
nothing works to eliminate bugs

Sure there is;

"Poor Les had a horrible time this year with the noseeums in La Paz. We would be sitting outside and he would be going crazy while all of us would be fine. They hardly ever bother me."

We all just need a 'little Les' in life. :bounce::bounce:
AndyP
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2018 at 05:59 AM

My wife has an especially hard time with noseeums, gets covered in bites. Deet doesn't seem to work that well, or pennyroyal oil, or any other repellents we've tried.

I was in Cambodia a while back out at some islands with nasty sand flies, and everyone just used coconut oil rubbed on fairly heavily like a lotion. It was incredible, totally stopped all bites... I guess they physically can't bite through the oil. And my skin felt great too.

I'm not sure if those sand flies were the same thing as Baja jejenes, but I'll be bringing coconut oil on my next trip.
Sparetimewanted
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2018 at 06:08 AM

Thanks all!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2018 at 06:23 AM

paranewbi - thanks for the belly laugh!

David K I have type O blood and rarely do mosquitoes or noseeums come to me.

Coconut oil sounds wunderbar.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 4-9-2018 at 08:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Check your blood type. The little buggers like type O just like mosquitoes.

Tough to change :biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2018 at 09:40 PM

in our new (last year) FourWheel camper my wife sewed some noseeum netting to velcro over our regular screens and I replaced the screen door screen with noseeum screen. That helped but still, on our recent Alaska and Baja trips, we still had a lot of noseeums buzzing around the lights.

The perfect solution we found to be one of those paddle like bug zappers. In just a few minutes you can fry all those little critters and have a good nights sleep. The only downside was it scarred the cat at first with all the popping noise. We notice now she seems to have gotten used to it.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.