Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: No Seeums
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-12-2018 at 10:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

David K I have type O blood and rarely do mosquitoes or noseeums come to me.

See woody's reply before mine... I only mentioned that to confirm his post on O+. I wonder if this mandates a poll? ;)

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-13-2018 at 05:43 AM

I have O+ as well. The little buggers will pass by everyone else in a 50’ radius to feed on me. I first realized it in Oaxaca in the late 80s when after a few days all the welts made me look diseased. My buddies hardly got bit.

El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2018 at 07:18 AM

Could it be that we all get bit, but that some react differently than others? Seems like folks just visiting an area are more prone to the big welts etc. Whereas long time residents are not bothered as much.

Just my very un-scientific observation.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 4-13-2018 at 09:56 AM

Who the heck knows ? I have A+ and those little Bastards love my ass !

I have heard that drinking lot's of beer will help repel them do to the yeast content of beer.

But I am hear to attest that beer does NOT help as I have personally done extensive research into this rumor .

I'm talking decades worth of drinking mass quantities of the delicious liquid beverage.

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 4-13-2018 at 11:00 AM

My hubby is O+ and our designated sacrificial lamb with all biting bugs.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 4-13-2018 at 11:11 AM

I personally don't believe in the blood type theory, but I do think it has to do with body biochemistry, as in mainly PH factors and diet.

I believe in eating at least 3 or 4 bananas daily, enough to secrete banana oil out on your skin, so when the little buggers come down to take some blood they slip and break their little noses. :biggrin:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Alexmcnc

[*] posted on 5-11-2018 at 03:11 PM

I think different people have different immune responses (white blood cells/histamines/antibodies) to the saliva (proteins) of the invading parasites. Some immune systems decide the foreign invasion requires an immediate and dramatic response (welts), and others just shrug. The bugs are attracted by heat and CO2, so I think we are all targets. At least that’s what I’ve read.

[Edited on 5-11-2018 by Alexmcnc]
SunDevil
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2018 at 03:57 PM

We use a coconut oil based suntan lotion for noseeums. The bugs get stuck in the oil and probably suffocate.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2018 at 04:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alexmcnc  
I think different people have different immune responses (white blood cells/histamines/antibodies) to the saliva (proteins) of the invading parasites. Some immune systems decide the foreign invasion requires an immediate and dramatic response (welts), and others just shrug. The bugs are attracted by heat and CO2, so I think we are all targets. At least that’s what I’ve read.

[Edited on 5-11-2018 by Alexmcnc]

lets see...which famous nomad is known to exhale copious amounts of hot CO2....:light:
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.