Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Vizcaino Bancomer ATM
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 4-4-2018 at 07:42 AM
Vizcaino Bancomer ATM

There were reports last year about problems using these atms. I was there yesterday morning and found there are multiple atm's with a young bank employee standing by to offer help if needed. The atm instantly spit out the 6000 pesos I requested. My bank doesn't charge me for other atm's and reimburses me for the Bancomer surcharge so I netted 18.15 peso/dollar when XE.com was showing 18.25 so I am happy with the transaction and convenience.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-4-2018 at 08:14 AM

I used that bank recently. It is curious that my bank records show the transaction occurred at a Mulege bank.

I did not have fee reimbursement, so it cost two dollars for a balance inquiry, and five for the transaction.

Edit; I just checked my Wells Fargo account again, and the two dollar balance inquiry fee has been removed. I had plenty of pesos to get back to the border, I mainly wanted to see if my card would work!

[Edited on 4-4-2018 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 4-4-2018 at 09:04 AM

This is my goto bank for ATM withdrawals. Line can be a bit long depending. I stop here right after getting a bunch of machaca burritos at the Oasis loncheria a bit north directly across from the pemex.
Rossman
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2018 at 10:07 AM

Well I think k you hit the magic number with your 6k withdrawal Kurt . Since July of 2016, that has been the max that that Bancomer has given me on any day. Some less but never more. Having to make a 150 mile round trip to get money, 6 k or less is not worth the trip for me. I simply add another 100 miles to my trip and hit the Banamex in GN, where I have never hit a limit.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2018 at 05:35 PM

Rossman - Do you know about getting $1500 dollars at a time with wells fargo EXPRESS SEND? You can pick it up at any bank or telegrafo.

Really sweet way to get cash locally!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Rossman
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2018 at 07:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Rossman - Do you know about getting $1500 dollars at a time with wells fargo EXPRESS SEND? You can pick it up at any bank or telegrafo.

Did not know that Blanca. And here I am a Wells Fargo customer too. I'm looking too far afield for a solution. How's their exchange rate? Not too favorable if I get pesos from a WF branch in the US. Thanks for the tip and I'll look into it.
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2018 at 08:11 PM

Not just last year. That ATM (now ATMs) have been problematic for several years. The new ones have been much better but we did have some issues in February with a Wells Fargo card... worked one day, not the next, and repeat.

Bancomer's ATM fee of 81.20 pesos is also more than twice what any other Mexican bank charges.

The moment there is another option in Vizcaino, we'll use that.
KurtG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2018 at 09:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Rossman  
Well I think k you hit the magic number with your 6k withdrawal Kurt . Since July of 2016, that has been the max that that Bancomer has given me on any day. Some less but never more. Having to make a 150 mile round trip to get money, 6 k or less is not worth the trip for me. I simply add another 100 miles to my trip and hit the Banamex in GN, where I have never hit a limit.

Yes, I don't need to get more than 6k at a time since I am moving through to other towns that have atm's. While in Asuncion I was thinking about what a hassle it must be for long term residents to get enough pesos.
The atm's are a great convenience for me as a traveler, I still carry cash for emergencies but not as much as in years before atm's. I had avoided Bancomer because of their high fees but my local bank was acquired last year by another that rebates them to me.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 4-4-2018 at 09:19 PM

any ATM in Asuncion?

Harald Pietschmann
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 05:28 AM

you guys are thinking like "gringos"

baja is not the USA or canada

its a cash society

exchange your dollars for pesos before you arrive and avoid this ATM problem

carry enough cash to last you your vacation

then exchange it back to "greenbacks" when you return home

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
KurtG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 06:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  

its a cash society

Bob, you have expressed this opinion a number of times. I choose to not carry that much cash. Getting pesos from atm's has been convenient and worked for me for many years. I get a better exchange rate and pay no atm fees. As I mentioned in my earlier post I do carry enough emergency cash but not as much as in earlier years. You refer to "this atm problem" but I have never had such a problem except for the occasional atm that is out of cash. I avoid that by using only atms located at a bank and go there when the bank is open.
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 06:39 AM

its a cash society

Right on. I figure a budget then DOUBLE it. I use coin of the realm wherever I travel. Never use ATM's and credit card occasionally only in Europe.
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 06:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

Did not know that Blanca. And here I am a Wells Fargo customer too. I'm looking too far afield for a solution. How's their exchange rate? Not too favorable if I get pesos from a WF branch in the US. Thanks for the tip and I'll look into it.

I use Wells Fargo Express Send...by the way you have to initially sign up for it at a branch in the US...but the daily limit is $500 US, and there is a limit of how much you can send each month. The exchange rate is favorable compared to ATM rate though there is a 5/translation charge to consider when figuring the “net”. I have the cash sent to Bancomer.

[Edited on 4-5-2018 by rhintransit]

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 07:28 AM

its a cash society

We just returned from a trip through Belize, Guatemala and Honduras. All of them had readily available ATM's in a lot of places including larger stores, gas stations and hotel lobbies. Even the small tourist shops in Guatemala now scan your charge cards with a phone connection. We have visited a half dozen places in Mexico over the last two years and spent time in Baja. Never were we very far from an ATM or able to use our CC for other items and places. The places we go to would just be to stressful if we were carting around thousands of dollars and no one knows what a travelers check is nowadays. I even walked past the money changers this time at those Central American borders! I never liked a word of mouth report made available as I crossed over when I was exchanging several hundred dollars with those guys.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 07:55 AM

the limit at the wells fargo EXPRESS SEND is $1500 dollars at a time! It is what I use to transfer cash from US to the scholarship kids in Mexico, it is what Les has used for a year now to send money to La Bocana.

The telegrafo in Vizcaino is a million times faster than any bank, they always have tons of cash, they are open on weekends.

The one in La Paz is also open late and weekends, liberating not to have to depend on a bank or an ATM.

it is truly remarkable how wonderfully it works

Secret is to take your client number with you, have the transaction number, your passport unless you are a regular. It is called BTI and really, you can get it out of any bank or telecomm/telegrafo office.

The charge is $5 from wells fargo. How cheap is that!

Once the original amount has been sent from your wells fargo bank in the US of A to yourself or whomever you choose (and this takes a week or so for approval) then all future remittances are sent online.

No need to carry around so much cash any more!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 08:27 AM

The Bancomer banks in Ensenada also dispense the maximum of $6,000 Pesos, but, quite by trial and error, I found out that the ATM will keep dispensing the same amount several times in a row, depending on your US bank's withdrawal limit.
In the first instance, I needed $15,000 Pesos, and cumulatively it gave me the money.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 08:32 AM

We now have a Banamex ATM in Abreojos. Luv it!
aguachico
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 08:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

Wow. I money truck drives all the was in to fill it?
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 11:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by aguachico  

Wow. I money truck drives all the was in to fill it?

Once a week...I personally have not seen it empty, But I don't go every day either...Lol.
aguachico
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 11:35 AM

Once a week...I personally have not seen it empty, But I don't go every day either...Lol.

Congrats on the upgrade. Seems like a long desolate road to be transporting pesos. Could make for a good movie.

IED in the road. gun fight for the money.
betrayal and deceit Then the lone thief, una chica, dies in a panga, with the money, that washes up onshore in Asuncion. Then it all starts again...
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.