Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Best Baja memories of the 60s/70s
Baja Oldie

[*] posted on 4-4-2018 at 01:42 PM
Best Baja memories of the 60s/70s

Fun time-- What is one of your best Baja memories of the 60s and/or 70s 25 words or less.....

Mine-- using the San Jose del Cabo telegraph office to communicate a safe trip in Dec. 1977
BajaUtah
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2018 at 02:01 PM

2 drives in the (early?) 70s of the unpaved road between El Rosario and Loreto. Beat the holy crap out of my dad's IH Travelall.

25 words

Andy
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-4-2018 at 02:54 PM

The drive from Tijuana to Cabo San Lucas in the family Jeep Wagoneer, in 1966. 800 unpaved miles. Other trips too!

1966, south of El Rosario.

[Edited on 4-5-2018 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2018 at 03:16 PM

Those yrs. are going to exclude some, a lot. Surfing Cuatro
Casas '71. Lobster from the fisherman, $.75 for the larger
one's. I do miss the Long Bar, TJ, don't know why, if the
border wait was over an hr., would stop by the place

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 4-4-2018 at 03:49 PM

'78, Cholla Bay n' JJ's Cantina, still big fish to catch. Camped west of Sandy Beach on the rocks, coyote howling 10' behind my van.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2018 at 04:04 PM

Punta Canoas: Plucking dinner (abalone) off the rocks at low tide without getting my feet wet.
Canyon Tajo: Hand drilling bolts for new routes on virgin granite crags.
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2018 at 04:32 PM

Playa El Requeson, 1969, digging up clams with my toes, and then eating mounds of steamers with drawn butter and limes for dinner that night.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2018 at 04:35 PM

1972 Driving a Chevy Impala to Loreto with my Dad. A friend of ours want a four door car to use as a taxi. Four ,12 hours days to get from Ensanada to Loreto. Saw that car for years driving around Loreto.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-4-2018 at 04:45 PM

Not 60s/70s. My first Baja trip was in 86 to Cabo, then took the ferry to the mainland, where my memories go back to 1957!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 4-4-2018 at 04:57 PM

Going to Tijuana looking around for the famous Donkey show. ( never did find one )

Going into the bars on Revolution that had the barkers in front only to get ripped off once inside.

Fun times !

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
Fang
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2018 at 05:01 PM

Not the 1960-70 period but in 1946 I got my 1st Drivers Lic. & I had a 1934 Ford Victoria that was in good shape. I was 15 1/2 years old.

Our folks had been taking us on vacations in Baja starting in 1939, but that was all interrupted by WW2 ( you remember it, it was in all the papers). My dad had helped a friend, Pancho Rojas, get work in the US in the late 1930's when there was little work to be had. Our families were close & remained so for many years. Mr Rojas & his family returned to Baja prior to the war years and opened a small restaurant on the old highway just North of Ensenada & we always stopped there. They later built a couple of stone cabins on the hill across the road from their restaurant & we always stayed there on our summer vacations until 1942 when my dad joined the US Army Air Force.

In 1946 with my newfound ability to drive wherever I wanted to go, my younger brother Jim & I decided we wanted to go back to the Ensenada area to free dive & fish. My folks agreed but with the proviso that we stay in the area next to the Roja's cafe. Mama Rojas was to be our overseer for these trips & she did her job well. She treated us as part of her family and she ran her family with an iron hand. She inspected our tent daily & saw to it we did nothing too wild or crazy. We in turn help supply the cafe with abs & lobsters and washed a few pots, pans & dishes now & again to earn our keep.

It was a different era, lobsters & abalone were hunted with flashlights after dark at low tide on the beach just below the restaurant. No need to dive, just wear sturdy shoes or boots as you walked across the rocky bottom. Lobster tacos sold for a dime. and abalone dinners were 75 cents. Jim & I made this trip each summer for the next 3-4 years until we got sidetracked by school, girlfriends & earning a living.

They were, without a doubt, some of the best times of our lives.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2018 at 05:48 PM

went to san felipe, met no Americans and remember that Lambada music was playing on loudspeakers

fish tacos on the beach at 5 for a buck!

first time drinking margaritas! yesssssssssssssss

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2018 at 06:35 PM

The flood of 1969 was bad for Tijuana. Seeing the masses of people in the streets was bad.
The TJ river was channeled and paved after that.

Es Todo Bueno
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2018 at 07:50 PM

1974 first trip drove as far as Mulege with three brothers, Conception Bay was alive above and below the water including tuna at times. 1977 bused to La Paz, mattress on roof of pension was 50 cents/night, comida corida de pescado con bebida, $1 at puesto downstairs. Bottomless fresh shrimp c-cktail from street vendor $1. Espirutu Santo desolate except for fish camp. Hwy 1 was one lane cobblestones into center of SJD, little traffic to CSL except for a bus or rancher's pick-up now and then. Road to TS still dirt hit and miss. Only folks around were ranchers and fishermen.
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2018 at 07:53 PM

My Mother went to TJ in 1945 with Mary Vega. She owned a restaurant on Olvera St in downtown LA (Casa Vega) and was from TJ. My Mother was from Norway and forgot here papers in LA and had to return across the border in the trunk of the car that night.

I remember eating fried turtle with Papa and his family in Gonzaga about 1973. Gave balloons to all the kids that night. They had ball playing with them.

Worked for a guy for many years who had old man Husong as his Best Man at a wedding in Ensanada. They were good friends.

Sorry more than 25 words.

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
gueribo
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2018 at 08:29 PM

Fun thread. Thanks for sharing these stories.
kevin_in_idaho
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 04:00 AM

Like others, I remember getting fish tacos on the side of the road for 20cents. They were awesome. You'd buy 5, eat them, then know you need more!

I also remember when you could do down to Puerto Nuevo and there were just a few shacks down there; I think a giant lobster, tortillas (the best), beans and rice was like $7.

So many, many surfing stories, etc. too. All great memories.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 08:00 AM

more more more stories please!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
billklaser
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 08:15 AM

Easter week of 1967. I was in college, went with my brother to San Quintin for the week. Very little there except Rancho's, we camped out at the old ruins of the Old Mill, right next to the Old Mill Hotel (abandoned). Where we camped is now the restaurant.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 08:48 AM

In the late 50s, my siblings and I were towheads to start with, and after a few months on the beach we were platinum blonds. People frequently were rubbing our heads for 'good luck'!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.