Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Best Baja memories of the 60s/70s
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 08:51 AM

La Jolla Camp in the 60s. Us kids hangin with the Pavlov kids.
Rancho Todos Santos late 60s early 70s. Us kids hangin out with the Fitzgerald kids. Surfing crowdless San Miguel,3Ms. Staxs,California camp.Surf trips to 4 casas.

Early to mid 70s Mid Baja =Sandy Point,Abreojos,Scorpion Bay
Mid to late 70s The Cape = Pastora,Pescadero,Zippers/Old mans,ship wrecks,9 palms

Being able to trade a few steaks or a bag of leaf for all the abalone and lobster you could eat for however long you stayed.:cool:
hermosok123
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 09:11 AM

1976 chucking rocks to fill in the holes on the East Cape Road with my brother in his VW van untapped waves and sat out a small Chubasco. Never another soul for 13 days. Plenty of fish right out of the surf and plenty of cussing as we wandered on East. No clue that it would ever change, absolutely clueless. Then there was pulling into Abreojos as a pinhead on the Red Rooster 11 and watching Razors from the back spit. Took 10 more years but I got back there on the b-tch of a road.
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

lol.gif posted on 4-5-2018 at 10:06 AM
Glad to get out alive.

It was 1964 and I found myself,a friend,wife and two daugthers on an ungodly bad road in my brand new VW bus!

With a map in hand given to me by a friend who said "your going to love this Rob and the fishin great: somewhere south of here is a place called San Luis Gonzaga bay just ask to speak to an old man by the name of PaPa and you will have it made:lol:

Long story short we were lucky to get out alive 10 days later:lol:........Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 11:18 AM

Flew into Cabo and taxied up right behind the ONLY hotel there, the Hacienda
Met John Wayne at the bar a couple days later

Ooops, dummy... it was 1967, not 1974
Tonto!

[Edited on 4-5-2018 by DawnPatrol]

[Edited on 4-5-2018 by DawnPatrol]
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 12:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DawnPatrol  

Cool love the Duke! There where a couple of other hotels. The Finisterra opened in 72 and Solmar in 74. The Twin Dolphin and Mar de Corte where open before 74 but with different names.
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 12:23 PM

Loved the Hacienda Hate the condos now!

Landed at Casa Diaz in BOLA and taxied right up to my room.
Landed at Papa's across the bay from Alfons. Had to fly past the roadway that crossed the runway before touch down.

A friend needed to "recover a Piper Navajo from the Feds in Baja. Seems the owner landed long and broke the nose gear off. The Feds posted guards on it. He took two spare props that I had and asked me how to fly it (he'd never been in one and the pitot tubes were gone from the landing- no airspeed indication). Went there on Cinco de Mayo and while the Feds were at the party he jacked the nose up. bolted the gear down, put on 2 props and a battery and fired it up and left.

His partner in a Cessna 210 was held by the Feds. They said he had a verry beeg problem. He asked how much this problem was going to cost They said $500. He said all he had was $300. They said that was enough and handed him a hand pump to pump up the tires they had let the air out of. He left. The Navajo sat at Van Nuys Airport for months with a Customs seizure sticker on it!

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 12:45 PM

In the late 70s and early 80s we were living in San Diego and I would join my brother Bill and several friends for weekend trips to Kennedy's Cove across the hills from La Joya camp. We would free and scuba dive for fish, lobster, abalone etc. Fun times. One friend named Bob would usually make a big pot of home made chili to take down. We would eat it and then store it under Bill's truck then eat more later.

I had a friend come out from Fort Wayne and went with us for a weekend. All the while we were at Kennedy's he was afraid bandidos were going to get him while we were in the water. So he would lock himself in the truck until we got back to camp. He also thought he was going to get sick from eating the chili since it was not stored in a cooler. Nobody got sick. He never did come out to visit again.

The first couple of years I went to Kennedy's I drove my 72 Ford Pinto. The road in was pretty rough but if I hugged the side of the edge and took it easy I didn't have any problems. One time there was a couple of young guys in a jeep there and they made fun of my Pinto saying I'd never get out. When they tried to leave they had a really hard time getting up the hill, throwing rocks everywhere. After several tries they backed down and I told em I'd pull them up if they wanted me to. They didn't care for my comment. I then got into my car and without any problems I drove right up and out. Brother Bill then explained to them how to drive up the hill. I guess they got out OK, they were not there the next time I went down there.
DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 02:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
Quote: Originally posted by DawnPatrol  

Cool love the Duke! There where a couple of other hotels. The Finisterra opened in 72 and Solmar in 74. The Twin Dolphin and Mar de Corte where open before 74 but with different names.

OOPs... Chippy
the year was 1967 my bad !
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 02:16 PM

These are great stories, but the OP (Baja Oldie) did specify them to be 25 words or less... Otherwise, I would be into a couple of pages, and lots of photos and maps (you guys know me)!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 05:25 PM

1976 broken down in Guerrero Negro drinking tequila and listening to Mexican 8-tracks in my van with the mechanic in his front yard while waiting for the parts store to open the next morning.
billklaser
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 06:31 PM

Sorry David, its hard to say hello in 25 words.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 07:09 PM

I agree, and especially not easy to talk about the golden years of Baja in so few words either!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2018 at 08:10 AM
25 words, 1968 - 1976

Spanish, sonrisas, sun, sea, stone, surf, salt, stuck, shakedowns, dirt, dust, fish, buns, cactus, flowers, water, ta taas, beer, buds, flat, washboard, peaks, palms, pangas, amigos,

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-6-2018 at 08:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Jorge  
Spanish, sonrisas, sun, sea, stone, surf, salt, stuck, shakedowns, dirt, dust, fish, buns, cactus, flowers, water, ta taas, beer, buds, flat, washboard, peaks, palms, pangas, amigos,

We need a ruling here! Is "ta taas" one work, or two?

Who cares anyway, it's a great reply!

[Edited on 4-6-2018 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2018 at 08:27 AM

Flew down to B of LA over New Years 1970. Big storm stranded lots of airplanes there trying to get back to US. Telephone communications non existent back then. Radios were busy passing messages to US bound airliners flying overhead to be relayed to concerned family’s. The airline crews were very helpful in passing these on. How times have changed with technology.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 4-6-2018 at 08:33 AM

"Ta-taas" should be hyphenated as in one word. They also should be prefaced with "bodacious" which makes it two. However, not all ta-taas are bodacious.

25 words. :biggrin:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2018 at 09:09 AM

1960 - skinny dipping all day. I was 2 years old. :saint:
1973 - skinny dipping at night with my first real girlfriend. She was 18. :dudette:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2018 at 10:56 AM

My first personal Baja experience started in ‘68 with trip to Ensenada and camp at Estero....was immediately hooked on Baja.
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2018 at 11:45 AM

My first personal Baja experience started in ‘68 with trip to Ensenada and camp at Estero....was immediately hooked on Baja.
wiltonh
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2018 at 04:54 PM

First trip to Mexico was the mainland in the late 50s. First trip to Baja was in the late 60s. Drove to Cabo in 1974 with a 40 foot motor home pulling a car. Spokane to Cabo was about 2000 miles at 4 MPG.

[Edited on 4-9-2018 by wiltonh]
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.