BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: another punta banda fiasco?
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2018 at 01:27 PM
another punta banda fiasco?

any nomads caught up in this rancho packard mess?

to PUNTA BANDA COMMUNITY
23 hrs ยท
Please pray for about 10 people in Rancho Packard. A lawsuit was won by some people on a part of Rancho Packard... they have come with big trucks and trailers and are removing things from the houses where the owners are away. I was told that the law says if you have a lease they must honor the lease. Does not seem to be the case. I am terrified. My house is on that part, they may take my possessions. The landlord's attorney is trying to get an amparo... please pray he gets it quickly. I am so scared.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-6-2018 at 01:31 PM

SO SAD! And it seems it happens too often. By the time any legal action is taken, the damage Is done...Hope this one turns out better..

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2018 at 01:39 PM

doubt it. Its been in court for a while and decision came down. Current owner left in a hurry without telling anyone.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2018 at 02:19 PM

This is about the saddest thing on Earth to have happen. My heart goes out to those who have houses and are away from them.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2018 at 02:45 PM

can somebody give us the readers digest history lesson, or a link to the issues. I'm not familiar with it.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2018 at 02:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
can somebody give us the readers digest history lesson, or a link to the issues. I'm not familiar with it.

Here's bit of background, Carl:

http://www.mexicomatters.net/mexicorealestate/09_ensenadapun...

http://www.mexicomatters.net/mexicorealestate/13_untoldsecre...

http://articles.latimes.com/1999/sep/03/news/mn-6343

John

[Edited on 4-6-2018 by John Harper]
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2018 at 03:08 PM

Here's a link to an L.A. Times article at the time the Supreme Court decision came out. http://articles.latimes.com/2000/oct/25/business/fi-41581

I knew some folks who lived there, who ran an art gallery in Punta Banda and curated museum exhibits in Ensenada and supported local artists. They were fortunate enough to be able to buy their house back from the original owner after they were evicted. Most were not so fortunate, and some, like my friends, weren't carpetbaggers or speculators -- they were part of the community. It is true, however, that everyone knew the score going in.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2018 at 03:11 PM

Like my friend always told me about renting in Campo Lopez:

"Never put in more money than you are willing to walk away from."

John
hermosok123
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2018 at 04:24 PM

The land and homes that are currently under dispute is called Campo Packard Ranch. The above articles refer to land on the spit or in Spanish La Lingueta. Having lived out here on the spit and leasing from the original land owner Jorge Cortina it is not surprising to see this occurring less than a few miles away. The dunes in the article although now gone in certain areas there is still a bird sanctuary with 0 development other than an old fish camp from the 50s out at the boca. During the heyday of development here I knew Jorge's father as we camped in those dunes. I learned to surf here such as it was and we regularly fished todos and surrounding areas. When The Playa Estero Land Co began developing the land with offices in La Jolla and Ens Sr Cortina and our local Mexican friends assured us that they did not own the land and that there this was a fraudulent land grab, now in the 60s. The hotel was halted mid construction and languished for a few years as according to the Cortinas the government had borrowed the construction funds to build the roads for the Olympics in D.F. Don't know if this is true. The articles are correct in that the litigants were Ejideros and PELCo. and that after hiring a team (according to my landlord Jorge) of over 50 lawyers they were able to prevail. Currently virtually all the gutted and empty homes are now either leased or under rehab. The deal at Packard has been stumbling along for at least 5 years that I know of.
Prevailing against Mexican landholders and lawyers rarely works out for a Gringo.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2018 at 04:50 PM

So it does seem clear that Rancho Packard 2018 and Punta Banda circa 2000 are not the same pieces of land but similar issues relative to who actually has title to what and when and where and someone gets screwed in the end. No bueno. :(

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 4-6-2018 at 05:27 PM

The follies of Man thinking he can "own" land .....

The ONLY thing one truly own's is himself, and that is a questionable subject that could be argued either way till ad nauseum ....

The American Indian had it right, " One can not own the land, as you are only a part of the land."

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 4-6-2018 at 06:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
doubt it. Its been in court for a while and decision came down. Current owner left in a hurry without telling anyone.

Current owner didn't go anywhere they are still here. I have lived here in Rancho Packard for 15 years and the lawsuit has been going on since before that.
Owning land in Mexico, is like a High Stakes Poker game between a rich man and a poor man the poor man doesn't stand a chance.

[Edited on 4-7-2018 by J.P.]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2018 at 07:11 PM

So the person on the Punta Banda page who stated (with others agreeing) that "the "property owner" was moving his stuff but didn't tell anybody......" is not telling the truth.
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2018 at 04:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  

The ONLY thing one truly own's is himself, and that is a questionable subject that could be argued either way till ad nauseum ....

The American Indian had it right, " One can not own the land, as you are only a part of the land."

Try not paying your land taxes here in the states and see who owns your land after all.
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2018 at 06:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  
Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  

Try not paying your land taxes here in the states and see who owns your land after all.

I don't see the parallel. Not paying taxes that are required to be paid by law comes with a prescribed penalty. No surprise there. In California it's seizure and a tax sale if you've been delinquent for five years. Now, if you don't pay your mortgage, it'll take a lot less than five years to see who owns your house. Miss a few mortgage payments and the huge bank that holds the trust deed will foreclose and buy the house for a fire sale price at the foreclosure sale, and then flip it for a tidy profit.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 4-7-2018 at 06:42 PM

Also there's a little law on the books called eminent domain.

Speaking of "laws" the laws that the government calls laws are in reality "rules"

Real laws are such things as nature, physics, motion, thermodynamics, attraction, etc.

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 4-7-2018 at 07:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
So the person on the Punta Banda page who stated (with others agreeing) that "the "property owner" was moving his stuff but didn't tell anybody......" is not telling the truth.

They may be telling the truth as they know it. Bot as the old saying goes The Fat Lady Hasn't Sang Yet.:?::?:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.