BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: New Hotel and Airstrip in Valle de los Cirios???
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-7-2018 at 08:00 AM
New Hotel and Airstrip in Valle de los Cirios???

Businessmen seeking approvals and permits for a new hotel and airstrip in Valle de los Cirios at the site of San Miguel, south of El Barril and north of the 28th Parallel

http://www.elvigia.net/el-valle/2018/4/7/buscan-construir-ho...
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-7-2018 at 08:08 AM

Google Translation:

Businessmen requested environmental impact permission to the Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources (Semarnat), to carry out the construction of a hotel in the protected area of ​​Valle de los Cirios, on an area of ​​2.85 hectares.

This hotel would be built on the San Miguel site, south of the town of El Barril and north of Parallel 28, within the territory of Baja California, where the construction of an airfield is also contemplated.

This aerodrome would affect 2.85 hectares of the protected area called the Valley of the Cirios, and allegedly would be used for the transfer of both tourists and sports hunters.

I WOULD STAY IN LA PALMITA
This airstrip will have a length of 1,500 meters by 19 meters wide, would occupy an area of ​​2.85 hectares, so the authorization of the Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources was requested.

In addition, the aerodrome seeks to build in the flood zone of the La Palmita estuary, which they claim is without vegetation, only with some species resistant to salinity.

In the application they attached that the project is located in the area of ​​influence of the Valle de los Cirios Flora and Fauna Protection Area, internationally recognized for its state of conservation.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pappy Jon
Nomad

Mood: Temp rising.

[*] posted on 4-7-2018 at 08:26 AM

Is this the San Miguel off the No Wimps Trail? I object.

[Edited on 4-7-2018 by Pappy Jon]

"The association of flowers and warm-blooded love is more than a romantic convention; it is based upon one of the great advances in the evolution of life." Ed Abbey
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 4-7-2018 at 08:50 AM

Interesting with a new airstrip in Baja. I think it’s been a while.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 4-7-2018 at 08:54 AM

Interesting with a new airstrip in Baja. I think it’s been a while.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2018 at 02:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pappy Jon  
Is this the San Miguel off the No Wimps Trail? I object.

Yes it is. The area was recently fenced off as a preserve for Big Horn Sheep and from this it looks like those sheep will be hunted.
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2018 at 05:27 PM

Sustainable harvest with hunting dollars going to preservation of the species is a world wide accepted proposition. $$$$ bring in water holes, feed enhancement programs, DNA studies to further diversity of blood lines and enhance veterinary services.

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-7-2018 at 05:52 PM

And Bob's your Uncle...

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2018 at 07:52 PM

It's been said that Carlos Slim is the money behind it. He owns property at San Francisquito and has tried to buy other properties along the coast in that area including Panchos. The electric company will soon be running lines from Tres Virgenes north near the coast to El Barril and across the SOC under water to the mainland.
Pfish

[*] posted on 4-8-2018 at 09:27 AM

Here is an idea: Never kill anything that you are not going to eat in the near future. Trophy hunting is bullchit. Any this comes from a guy who spears fish weekly.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 4-8-2018 at 10:53 AM

'Nuf said.....:no:

A beautiful area....there is already an airstrip in the area....

Don't believe everything you think....
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2018 at 10:58 AM

What makes you think that the animal isn't eaten?

In Africa every bit of an animal taken is used including stuff you wouldn't eat yourself. Except of course for poachers who only want the high value black market parts but that's not "trophy hunting" by any definition.

If one refuses to see reality then one is destined to live in ignorance.

Scientific harvesting of game is the reality in the 21st century for the survival of many species of "game animals". No trophy or sport hunter today advocates the wasting of game. Every state in the USA has regulations against wasting game animals as does every country in the world that governs "sport or trophy hunters". I might suggest some research into hunting today and you might formulate a different viewpoint.

You might look up and read about the Pittman-Robertson Act that hunters voted in way back in 1937. You might look into the Safari Club International or the Dallas Safari Club and learn how many millions of dollars they give for conservation of ALL species every year.

BTW, how many dollars did you donate to the preservation of wildlife and habitat last year?

Your premise is totally wrong in today's world.

What do you have to support your position? I'm listening.

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 4-8-2018 at 11:31 AM

.....And....???????

Don't believe everything you think....
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 4-8-2018 at 11:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
.....And....???????

:biggrin: better?
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2018 at 11:57 AM

In Baja Almanac, the place where the road from San Miguel ends on the beach, is called Punta Paulito, with a rancho Los Corrales. I landed there for a night, didn't see any corrals, though didn't walk far inland. Estero la Palmita is to the North of Punta. At the end of the road, in Corrales, there is no nice beach, the place is exposed and rather windy.

It looked nicer 5 miles South of Corrales, on parallel 28:

All good things have to end.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2018 at 12:19 PM

There must be a nice beach somewhere around Los Corrales??? Roy (The squarecircle) has been trying to get me to go there for years. Cameron Steele also says it is a very special place to him... I wonder if it will make one of his 50 Best of Baja places?

TW, do you know of such a nice beach at Los Corrales that Roy likes?

The closest I got was Rancho La Ilusión, last year.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2018 at 12:37 PM

The beach on the photo is at the parallel 28. It looks nice because of all the green stuff. And because it's calm morning. By the look of the gravel and driftwood, it's same exposed as Corrales (where the road ends). But Corrales beach is uglier :)

From North to South:
Looong Estero la Palmita -> "Corrales" on Punta Paulito aka Punta San Juan Bautista -> Bahia San Juan Bautista -> parallel 28, beach on the photo.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2018 at 12:40 PM

Actually I don't remember any nice or beautiful sand beaches along the coast. The sand areas are short sections or hard to get to areas. Overall it is a nice place mainly due to it's remoteness. There is an area on the south end called the salt flats and the beach is not visible from the road but is accessible from the south end. It may have a nice beach. We saw somebody camp out there on the trip Roy and I did in Dec. of 2016.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2018 at 12:46 PM

I guess I should call Roy and ask, I do have an hour or two to kill... :cool:

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2018 at 03:38 PM

There are no sandy beaches close to Coralles, this is correct.

Salt flats are ~20 miles South from Los Corrales, South of parallel 28. Very shallow mud/sand lagoon with salt workers shack and a working salt pond behind. Not really nice and you can't swim there, too shallow. Lagoon opens to the South but is still exposed, North winds blow straight through the flats.

About one mile North of the Salinas there is a cove open to the East, it is sandy. You can't see it from the road, yes.

Tons of no-seeums all over, from salt works to sandy cove, except for December and January. I think this is because of shallow salt ponds.

[Edited on 4-8-2018 by Alm]
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.