Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Mulege fishing
Beto Cuesta

[*] posted on 4-9-2018 at 07:45 AM
Mulege fishing

I have been fishing out of Mulege for the past 6 weeks and I do not see bait fish anywhere. No birds working and no boils. Seems the bait fish that draw the Jurel and bonita have disappeared. Can anyone explain this?
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2018 at 12:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Beto Cuesta  
I have been fishing out of Mulege for the past 6 weeks and I do not see bait fish anywhere. No birds working and no boils. Seems the bait fish that draw the Jurel and bonita have disappeared. Can anyone explain this?

Could it be the bait fish are needed to feed the farmed Tuna pens off Ensenada?
mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2018 at 12:52 PM

Also could be the 5 or 6 big boats with all the nets going round and round out there taking everything in the water...
Then they haul it all away....
Now 2 military boats tied up by the lighthouse so maybe they are here to run them out of here.....

Or????

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
hermosok123
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2018 at 01:46 PM

Come on, do you really think that the tuna farmers would actually employ a non sustainable practice like this? They regularly do presentations at some of the larger retail fish outlets in San Diego. During these seminars the sustainability and the purity of the water in their farming areas is put forth as paramount to their model. Honest guys my daughter works at one of these places and the stripped bass raised in the lee of Todos Santos Island exist in virtually pristine conditions. Oh, and sustainable always that.
blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 4-9-2018 at 01:52 PM

this is from a tuna farmer in punta banda

Ramos continues, "The bluefin tuna has been fished here for many, many years. Before, instead of taking the fish and bringing it to the farm and feeding it, we used to catch it, load it on the boat, and take it to the cannery. But since 1997, we tow the live fish in the net in a very smooth way, bring them close to the shoreline, and then keep them there for a month, or up to four or five months. During that time, we feed the fish sardines. We don't use any artificial feed. We feed them sardines that are caught in local waters close by the shoreline. In the case of our company, we use fresh sardines. We catch the sardines today, give them to the tuna today, or tomorrow, or the day after.

So understand dont waste your time always searching for those wasted years
face up and make your stand and realize that your living in the golden years
amigobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2018 at 02:22 PM

One of the main reasons I left San Felipe 13 years ago for Mulege was the locales destroyed the fishing. Now it has happened to Mulege so I left there to find better fishing on the Pacific side. If you want real sustainable fisheries you will need to locate to the Lobacana area where at least for now the locales seem to understand and practice conservation of their waters. I'm told to the point of using (oh no) guns to keep outside commercial fisherman from destroying their livelihood. No wonder that all the co-op guys are all driving new pickups and have nice houses and the non co-op guys are begging to join.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-9-2018 at 02:36 PM

I have a video taken just out of Mulege, showing 4 big seiners taking TONS of sardines which were destined for the tuna pens or fertilizer. I tied up to one of them and watched for several hours. There was a gummint inspector on board...his concern was the taking of "other" species which had to be returned. This took place over our "bait hole" ...Perfectly legal...Grouper was not included and they kept those for market...One of the many reasons I no longer go to Mexico...

chumlee57
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2018 at 08:13 PM

I totally agree, the area has been raped in a short 20 yrs, about as brutal as it can get. Post the video, if you know how
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2018 at 09:15 PM

the video is 16mm
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2018 at 09:49 PM

I guess that's supposed to be funny? Its actually on one of the big VCR tapes...

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 4-10-2018 at 09:18 AM

Charles....that would be the thingamajig beside your 8 track player....:coolup:

Don't believe everything you think....
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2018 at 11:54 AM

Radio is broke too, cant find tubes for it no more...

hermosok123
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2018 at 12:48 PM

If that's the case with the "fresh sardine" deal then why do they have a freighter that is offloading to the smaller tenders? Maybe he is taking on the tuna. Cant see from here. Anyone know?
Beto Cuesta

[*] posted on 4-10-2018 at 01:27 PM

Is anyone optimistic that something might happen to begin restoring the ecosystem in the Cortez, or are all pessimists. Are there groups that are concerned? What Mexican agencies are in charge here?
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2018 at 02:43 PM

Beto..If you can find the thread, this issue was covered in much detail a while back... Statistics, names, opinions lotsa good stuff. I have watched this over a LONG period of time, and am not optimistic that anything is going to improve. I hope it does...BUT...Reality....

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 4-10-2018 at 03:15 PM

Oye, Beto.... do the initials S. O. L. mean anything to you? As grandma always told me, "Cheer up, because things will get worse."

So I did, and they did.

Plenty of rules on Bahia Concepcion too... a buddy watched netters from Requeson for two solid weeks just a few months ago. The powers that be only care about the lining in their own pockets; earth means nothing.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 4-10-2018 at 04:05 PM

Interesting Read about over fishing in the SOC

https://www.ecologyproject.org/assets/docs/Reports_(from_Ext...

So understand dont waste your time always searching for those wasted years
face up and make your stand and realize that your living in the golden years
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2018 at 12:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Beto Cuesta  
Is anyone optimistic that something might happen to begin restoring the ecosystem in the Cortez, or are all pessimists. Are there groups that are concerned? What Mexican agencies are in charge here?

Optimism not backed with facts is an idiocy. Keeps you happy though :)

Fishery is a world market, the world is over-populated and its only getting worse with time. Somebody living in the middle of nowhere and watching only local news might not notice, but it is happening. Mexico is generously adding their share too, families of 4 and more are very common, size of a family and number of relatives is kind of a social value, in their eyes. Besides, there is not much of other job in Baja.

There are agencies in charge, but, being Mexico, the word "regulation" means nothing there.
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2018 at 10:46 PM

We drove northbound along the coast on 4/11 on what was a perfectly calm day. There was a TON of bait boiling in Bahia Concepcion, especially around El Burro. Pretty much anywhere you could get a clear view of the ocean from the highway, there was bait.

We also saw quite a lot all along Santa Rosalia.

:shrug:
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 4-16-2018 at 12:01 AM

Anybody catching any yellowtail yet? I thinking they should be there soon. I'm guessing the fish are still there.
No need to panic yet. Let's get some real reports.
Maybe we can get a Sea Shepard patrol boat down there.
I'm might fly down and take a look.
I am predicting red hot yellowtail fishing and weather to match on June 1 or there abouts.
I'm flying down to BOLA and have 1 angler going to split a boat.
The big 30 foot pangas cost about $300 or more so more anglers are welcome to fly down and split the boat costs.
4 people fishing a 30 footer will be spacious.
My plane has six seats and I will take out 2 seats for coolers and fishing gear. I can bring rods up to six feet.
If you know how to fish a little, are at or below standard passenger (180lbs) weight(a little over ok). And are a generally cool BajaNomad.
Please come fishing with us!
San Diego to San Filepe to BOLA. About 3 hours I think. Fast and easy.
3-4 days. 1 day fishing. Sunburn included free of charge.*

*Hangover fees not included.;)

[Edited on 4-16-2018 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.