Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mike's Sky Rancho to El Coyote Road
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2018 at 06:45 PM
Mike's Sky Rancho to El Coyote Road

Stayed at Mike's a couple days ago. Manuel told me the road to El Coyote was open except that 500m or so was pretty rough (if my Spanish was correct). My friend said he saw a Nissan Pathfinder that looked fairly stock come down the road to Mike's from that direction as well. IDK, I only have 2WD and wasn't going that way. Hopefully it's some recent news someone may be interested in.

Or, maybe the Pathfinder tried to get through and was coming back. IDK.

John
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2018 at 06:53 PM

Last month my Son drove from Coyote to Mikes in his Super crew Raptor He said rough, but made it with no damage. That rig had 35" tires and 4x4.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2018 at 07:10 PM

Where is the gate that was put up? I thought that was keeping everyone out? I've been out that way several times but not always on the same track, so I'm not sure what road is what?
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 4-11-2018 at 09:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Where is the gate that was put up? I thought that was keeping everyone out? I've been out that way several times but not always on the same track, so I'm not sure what road is what?

The gate i know about is at a rancho but has had a bypass road around the ranch. TMW here on the board posted some hand drawn maps awhile ago.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-12-2018 at 08:37 AM

Last year, only one route was ungated to Mike's from El Coyote and it had a section that was washed out and a new detour route went around. See my GPS track... My rear drum brake seized just before the detour road returned to the original road, so I limped back to El Coyote for a solution.

The road was very bad and right before the brake issue was a short, steep grade requiring low range and traction control (or lockers). I was told (back at El Coyote) that I hadn't even got to the "bad canyon" yet.

I have driven this same road to Mike's before with little effort (in 2005). However, there no longer is any maintenance done on it and the primary clients of Mike's being motorcycle groups don't have as big a problem on it as us in four-wheel drives.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2018 at 08:48 AM

Thanks, I think I've got it now. Always like going out the back way and then down the Pacific on the Moto...
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-12-2018 at 10:33 AM

The rancho put in by the One of the Melings they call him Gato old rout locked gate. The only other way from Coyote not happening 2wd. The Raptor that made it 35in tires good run. Have some friends went from Mikes to Coyote in stock beat to death 85 4 runner. Stuck twice body damage but they made it. Love all the trails there on Moto lots of single track also.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 4-13-2018 at 07:10 PM

Maybe the baja 500 will go thru and they will wear it in.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2018 at 08:34 PM

This is a hand drawing I did of the roads around MSR several years ago. I did some Google Earth traces more recently and I'll look for them.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2018 at 08:40 PM

Here is a GE image. The green line is the 2013 Baja 1000. Notice the area between El Coyote and CO2B. That is a bypass SCORE did because of damage to the regular road in white. I think someone on Nomad said there was another road put in somewhere north of CO1A and CO2A

WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2018 at 09:38 PM

Rode through there in late January. The back way out of Mike’s to El Coyote was easily passable by an intermediate rider on a bike, I don’t see a vehicle that isn’t highly modified getting through there. If you were to go back out from Mike’s to the road and take that way to El coyote it would be slow going but passable in a 4x4 vehicle with good ground clearance.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2018 at 08:06 AM

We will ride Coyotes on Motos this 27/28 explore new single track. Also run route from Coyote to Mikes on the way to La Joya run and then forest trail. Will report.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2018 at 09:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
We will ride Coyotes on Motos this 27/28 explore new single track. Also run route from Coyote to Mikes on the way to La Joya run and then forest trail. Will report.

If you are able, take photos to show us, please!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2018 at 01:13 PM

Will try my best David to take pictures if I can get the guys to stop. HAAAA. The ride I like the most Coyote to Rancho La Joya. Wondering if any motos or 4X4s from here have done that route. I think it best moto/side by side or Jeep. Wont be taking my 4x4 trucks there anytime soon. Even going down it I took Mike that lives at El Coyotes he had a good crash. So I told him to walk the bike down the steep parts. Rancho La Joya was sold to other Melings about 5 years ago. They had big plans fish there and lots of water invested a lot of money. Then Dark Sky Rancho cut off there water now abandoned.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2018 at 02:07 PM

Dark Skys Inn ('AstroBaja' here on Nomad) is actively trying to sell the place (historically called Rancho La Concepción). I saw and chatted with him on Facebook where he has posted lots of photos. Hard to figure out how (or why) he would stop the river/stream from flowing to Rancho La Joya from there?

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2018 at 07:14 AM

For what I'm told a problem between him and melings. I don't want to get in the middle as I like them both. Also told few years back they sold the place but I guess that did not work out. Funny thing in Mexico you build a nice rancho or house. Its not like the states where its wroth more when your done. Or after 10 years it goes up in value ,less then half. Also takes forever to sell.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.