BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cabo Pulmo: Castros vs ESL?
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2018 at 06:57 AM
Cabo Pulmo: Castros vs ESL?

It's been years but a recent thread posting on Cabo Pulmo got me to wondering whatever happen to the land issue between these two - I know that ESL is no longer with us having been killed and assumed it was over this issue. Has enough time passed so that those of you who actually know the issues can comment?
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2018 at 08:26 AM

From what I've been told for many years by folks born there;

Of the Castros, Canedos, Minjares, (Tito's), the original three families in CP, the only ones that remain with title to land is Minjares. Canedos sold all theirs, Castros never had paper.

ESL???
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-14-2018 at 09:10 AM
ESL (El Surfo Loco) aka 'Chopy Chavez'

On Sept. 21, 2002, while attending M's BBBB #4 party at Cielito Lindo, we got a surprise visit from 'Chopy' (ESL's new handle). He was killed near San Jose del Cabo shortly after this meeting, in 2003. Way too young to die. He was the rightful owner of land at Cabo Pulmo (his parents built hotels, I think the Finisterra Hotel in Cabo San Lucas around 1970) and had that Pulmo land, too. Chopy was a Mexican citizen and his real name was Cornell Crawford.
The Castro family had connections with the governor so it was impossible to get them evicted off the land they had squatted.

ESL/ Chopy was very active on the Amigos de Baja forum (where we communicated before Baja Nomad)

Chopy and David K

Chopy and M (Michelle)

Chopy and jeans

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2018 at 07:31 AM

Back in 1978 my father and mother rented a lot at Cabo Pulmo from a lawyer in San Jose d Cabo. Pretty sure his last name was Conseco. A year or 2 later Coseco offered to sell the land to my father and some of the other residents in the area, At that time a new deal was available called a Fideicomiso (sp?) My dad and some of the other residents went for it and put up $10,000 each to buy the place for $100,000. The Castros heard about it and filed a claim to contest the sale and from what I remember they were bankrolled by a dentist in the Los Angeles area. The Castros finally lost the court case and the fideicomisos were awarded to my father and the others. Barrymore was one of the others and probably the largest investor. I don't know about now but back in the early 80's a court determined that the Castros had no claim to the land.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.