Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: BOOK REVIEW: Mexico's Diamond in the Rough, c1959
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-14-2018 at 11:16 AM
BOOK REVIEW: Mexico's Diamond in the Rough, c1959

Inside cover.

This was one of the books from Mike McMahan's library. Mike was the creator of the famous Baja Wall maps of the 60s to 90s. Mike also wrote an excellent book in 1973, 'There It Is: Baja!, which was republished 10 years later in softback with the title changes to 'Adventures in Baja'.

Mexico's Diamond in the Rough (Lower California Adventure) by O.W. Timberman c1959 was one of many adventure books written by those who traveled by automobile down Baja when a four-wheel drive was almost mandatory and the high adventure and sport fishing or hunting was just too great to not be excited over.

The pavement ended 70 some miles south of Ensenada and began again only 24 miles north of La Paz on their trip in the late 50s. La Paz to Cabo was all dirt roads (in 1966 on my first trip, it was paved only to 10 miles south of town and about 100 miles north).

The book is a well-written account of the couple's no-hurry travel down the peninsula with many interactions with locals at various villages and ranchos.

I will recount a few passages from the book that stood out about the road or places or people described in follow-up posts.

Baja Highway about 60 years ago...

Famous Beach Palms...

60 years later, they are still at the edge of the sea, and not in it!

[Edited on 4-28-2018 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-14-2018 at 12:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Global sea level on avarage has risen 4+ inches in past 60 years. Some places have seen more or less sea level change.

The scientists that study this use accurat guages (not inebriated observations of palm trees). Many parties have observed damage of infrastructure/property due to sea level rise.

The link between greenhouse gas and global warming is real.

You have to be a doofus to ignore the science, spend your energy monitoring palm trees and base your arguement on one palm tree you happen to be fond of.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-14-2018 at 03:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Global sea level on avarage has risen 4+ inches in past 60 years. Some places have seen more or less sea level change.

The scientists that study this use accurat guages (not inebriated observations of palm trees). Many parties have observed damage of infrastructure/property due to sea level rise.

You have to be a doofus to ignore the science, spend your energy monitoring palm trees and base your arguement on one palm tree you happen to be fond of.
Hey doofus MT retard tourist Make America decent again and Baja. Throw your ugly ass out you win Idiot of the year. Nobody wants to hear you retard. Thank you David for great write up Shame this loser from San Diego. Mt your lower then whale turn that is why global warming. :bounce::bounce:
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2018 at 03:35 PM

Inside cover.

This was one of the books from Mike McMahan's library. Mike was the creator of the famous Baja Wall maps of the 60s to 90s. Mike also wrote an excellent book in 1973, 'There It Is: Baja!, which was republished 10 years later in softback with the title changes to 'Adventures in Baja'.

Mexico's Diamond in the Rough (Lower California Adventure) by O.W. Timberman c1959 was one of many adventure books written by those who traveled by automobile down Baja when a four-wheel drive was almost mandatory and the high adventure and sport fishing or hunting was just too great to not be excited over.

The pavement ended 70 some miles south of Ensenada and began again only 24 miles north of La Paz on their trip in the late 50s. La Paz to Cabo was all dirt roads (in 1966 on my first trip, it was paved only to 10 miles south of town and about 100 miles north).

The book is a well-written account of the couple's no-hurry travel down the peninsula with many interactions with locals at various villages and ranchos.

I will recount a few passages from the book that stood out about the road or places or people described in follow-up posts.

Baja Highway about 60 years ago...

Famous Beach Palms...

Thank you David great write up and pictures. Sorry that loser Mt from San Diego has to write his wroth less crap. That is his job Baja Blow Hard loser:light:
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2018 at 03:39 PM

He goated you with that troll, that's a scientific fact.

[Edited on 4-15-2018 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2018 at 03:47 PM

JAAAAAA good one
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 4-14-2018 at 04:32 PM

So David, your slipping, I'm surprised you don't have a picture of the same palms of recent vintage ?

You probably do, just haven't found them as of yet >:biggrin:

Oh and also, the OP was REALLY interesting, thanks !

[Edited on 4-14-2018 by Paco Facullo]

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-14-2018 at 07:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  

Hey doofus MT retard tourist Make America decent again and Baja. Throw your ugly ass out you win Idiot of the year. Nobody wants to hear you retard. Thank you David for great write up Shame this loser from San Diego. Mt your lower then whale turn that is why global warming. :bounce::bounce:

Did you get kicked in the head? I’m struggling to figure out why your writing is so much gibberish. I see kernels of corn in your chit,... but the syntax appears to reflect mental defect or brain damage.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2018 at 08:38 PM

Did you get kicked in the head? I’m struggling to figure out why your writing is so much gibberish. I see kernels of corn in your chit,... but the syntax appears to reflect mental defect or brain damage.
Poor nature N-zi troll loser Zip it every time David writes a good story. Your brainless rants your chit for brains. Besides a scared little rat didn't Moma feed you tonight.:lol: MAKE AMERICA DECENT THROW OUT STPIUD GOAT.:bounce:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2018 at 05:43 PM

I was going to add some more quotes and observations from this 1950s Baja adventure story... but if there is no interest, I will move along to the next Baja project!

I wonder how many here remember the days of pavement ending before Colonet or if your first Baja road trip was after 1973?

It was a serious wild west adventure. You stopped at ranchos for meals, beer, gasoline south of El Rosario. The only villages north of San Ignacio (on the peninsular main road) were Punta Prieta and El Arco. There was a collection of ranch homes at Rosarito (Nuevo Rosarito today) but not much else.

You could drive about 100 miles a day if there were no problems! On our 1966 Jeep Wagoneer trip, the first night was San Quintin (by the old mill ruin), the next was at Agua Dulce.

The worst part of the entire drive came the third day south and was at Laguna Chapala where the silt beds engulfed our Wagoneer, north of the Grosso ranch. The dry lake bed just south was the best part, where for a couple of miles you could drive highway speeds and blow some of that dust off.

Just some great memories from when I was 8 1/2! I remember all the places because my dad gave me the job of navigator! I read from the Lower California Guidebook as we drove along to know which fork to take or what was the next point-of-interest!

What a nice cover photo ;)

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 4-23-2018 at 06:49 PM

David,
Back in the 70's all I knew was Tijuana and Ensenada in the 80's along with fishing out of San Quintin.

But I for one am seriously interested in this topic ....

Hopefully there are others that will chime in......

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2018 at 08:31 AM
Mexico's Diamond in the Rough, 1959, page 39

Halfway up the steep Aguajito grade you come to a small mining operation of manganite ore which looks promising. ...

Still further up the grade, not far from the summit, is a turquoise mine that has been in operation for several years. ...

The few children living at the mine always benefit with gifts of candy and gum.

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 4-24-2018 at 10:30 AM
Quick Quiz

So, where is the location of the photo of the "motor home" sitting in the rocks?
I recognized it right away from a trek through there in 1972.
Any others know that spot?

And David, your input is always appreciated.
You bring life to a great place (Baja) whilst others seem to only view this forum as a place to act stupid. Maybe they need to "get a life."

OK, back to my question
Where is that spot???
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

thumbdown.gif posted on 4-24-2018 at 10:38 AM

Very tactful and informative post...thank you

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2018 at 05:31 PM
How about back to the book? Page 40-41...

Not far beyond we came to a road junction and turned right for a side trip of about two miles to the ruins of the old adobe mission of San Fernando...

A pity it was to view the wanton destruction of these beautiful old missions, so much of it caused by humans in their lust for something for nothing. Baja California lacks the funds to protect these edifices. The ones built of rock are in a better state of preservation, but here again in some instances the foundations have felt the hand of the vandal...

In the close proximity to the mission were two ranch houses, many palms and excellent water. Everything was green in a land of drought--a desert oasis with friendly people, far from civilization. We camped here for the night under brilliant stars in a tropical setting.

Here is a map from three years after this book was published of the roads around San Fernando...

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2018 at 10:06 AM
Page 42...

From Rancho San Augustín there was a choice of roads.On previous trips we had taken the short-cut by-passing the village of El Mármol (Spanish for marble). It was eight miles farther this way, but we had never been there, so decided to go this trip. Marble is not quarried here, onyx is, which is more valuable, and El Mármol has been referred to as the onyx center of the world.

From another book, how El Mármol appeared in the 1950s:

The world's only schoolhouse made of onyx!

In 2011:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2018 at 09:38 AM
Page 48-49

Stops were made at Rancho Santa Inés and Rancho Jaraguay where the same friendliness prevailed. At one ranch we were asked for matches, and at another for some sugar, which we gladly gave. Payment was offered in both cases, which we refused. Running out of staple supplies on Baja California is a catastrophe, and we are always ready to divide or share what we have.

After another steep climb we came into an extensive valley in which lay Laguna Seca Chapala, a broad dry lake that we were to cross, and the only place since leaving the improved roads where we could attain a speed over fifty miles per hour. The lake itself was a dry, hard, smooth stretch without a ripple or bump. It was an exhilarating ride after being held down to twenty miles per hour and less; but the catch was that the distance across was only three and a half miles and the ride ended almost as quickly as it had begun.

Approaching the lake from the north the road entered deep, flour-fine dust, and as a result many roads had branched off. As soon as one became bad, each car or truck had circled farther out trying to find a smoother roadbed.As many as forty to sixty roads were spread across the next two miles, crossing and recrossing each other, and finally all of them merging at the same point at the ranch of Arturo Grosso, situated on the edge of Laguna Seca Chapala. Whichever road you might have chosen to cross the deep dust, you will invariably wish you had chosen one of the others.

Arturo Grosso, brother to Señora Espinoza of El Rosario, welcomed us...

The area of the Main Road traveled (Santa Ines to Chapala):

The Chapala Valley Dust. Photo was taken in July 1973 on the detour road along the closed/new highway route. I stood up on the elevated new roadbed to get this photo of my dad driving his station wagon through the dust (silt). We had quite the memory of this dust from our 1966 trip.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2018 at 09:00 AM

Shall I continue with this review of driving down the peninsula when it was mostly an unpaved, ungraded road to Cabo?

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2018 at 01:34 PM

Yes
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 4-30-2018 at 01:42 PM
Absolutely! ANd answer my quiz question too

Shall I continue with this review of driving down the peninsula when it was mostly an unpaved, ungraded road to Cabo?

No one wants to reach for an answer?
Or doesn't anyone know....:D:D
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.