Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: BAJA HQ Private Opening, San Juan Capistrano
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-16-2018 at 08:18 PM
BAJA HQ Private Opening, San Juan Capistrano

Today, I was invited to attend Cameron Steele's BAJA HQ "soft opening".
This is Cameron's new business venture into off-road supply and service.
Located in San Juan Capistrano (just around the corner from where his racing shop was located).

The day began about 2:30 with a live webcam panel where Cameron and others discussed the recent San Felipe 250 race and the upcoming Baja 500 race, as well as touching on race safety in light of the recent deaths of spectators far too close to the active race course.

By 4:00, the panel had concluded and more guests arrived to see Cameron's new shop. Videos of Cameron's Trail of Missions shows were shown on several large screens in the new business, which had a bar/lounge that reminded me of Mike's Sky Rancho (only slightly)!

In the yard behind the shop was the wonderful off-road catering team truck that feeds the Trail of Missions members so well and those of us there today.

Cameron had ordered 20 of my books (I delivered) and 10 additional after I arrived. I know that some are going to Antonio at Baja Cactus in El Rosario.

My phone takes poor photos, so here are just three from today:

The live panel with Cameron Steele, Pistol Pete Sohren, Andy McMillin, Dan McMillin, Ryan Arciero, and others.
http://www.bajaracingadventures.com/#pistol-pete

Here is the video of the panel: https://www.facebook.com/fishgistics/videos/1684096464985400...

One of Cameron's Trophy Trucks. This one just fresh from 2nd Place at the San Felipe 250.

The other truck, in the shop, on display.

Check ahead to see if they are fully open to the public if you are interested in seeing the place in the next few days. May 1 is the planned opening.
Baja HQ
32981 Calle Perfecto
San Juan Capistrano, CA

Web page: https://www.bajahq.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wedobaja/

See Baja HQ: https://www.facebook.com/fishgistics/videos/1684252301636483...

[Edited on 4-17-2018 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 4-17-2018 at 05:05 AM

Cool. What is the buisness? Is it a broadcast studio? Heard this talk show was broadcast on fb. Any other ways to see it?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-17-2018 at 05:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

The live panel with Cameron Steele, Pistol Pete Sohren, Andy McMillin, Dan McMillin, Ryan Arciero, and others.

Hard to take any of them seriously when they pull baseball cap down over their ears...
are they opening a clown school?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 4-17-2018 at 06:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Cool. What is the buisness? Is it a broadcast studio? Heard this talk show was broadcast on fb. Any other ways to see it?

Never mind. I just saw the website link. Thanks
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2018 at 08:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Hard to take any of them seriously when they pull baseball cap down over their ears...
are they opening a clown school?

Not only that, but who the hell wears a hat indoors except cretins and country music stars.

John
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 4-18-2018 at 07:27 PM

I need to tune into this. It looks very cool.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2018 at 07:41 PM

We should have known he would say it was the spectators fault. What did you think a panel of knuckledraggers were going to say.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2018 at 08:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
We should have known he would say it was the spectators fault. What did you think a panel of knuckledraggers were going to say.

What would you expect of a panel of one-dimensional mouth breathers whose summed IQs is less than my dog’s IQ?

Blame the spectators! :lol::lol::lol:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2018 at 09:05 AM

I know this is really difficult for you intellectuals to grasp, but this was a sanctioned race on a marked course. It is the responsibility of the spectators to stay a safe distance away from the race course. THEY DO NOT. Some act like bullfighters and treat the 800 horsepower trophy trucks and other race vehicles like bulls in a ring. Just watch the videos of how stupid-close some get to the race cars. Score and others have announced to potential spectators to maintain a safe distance. Common sense should be applied as well. No racer wants to hit anybody or anything. In desert racing, the spectators have the responsibility to stay off the course and a safe distance back. There are no barriers along the 300+ mile course. It is not Nascar or Indy with stadium seats in a closed course.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2018 at 09:16 AM

I know this is really difficult for you intellectuals to grasp, but this was a sanctioned race on a marked course. It is the responsibility of the spectators to stay a safe distance away from the race course. THEY DO NOT.

the sanctioner and sanctionee are aware of the problems, and are therefore responsible for enforcing race course safety, and lack of safety enforcement is the responsibility of the sanctioner and sanctionee.
perhaps it is time for the races to move to closed loop courses.
spectator safety would be increased and environmental destruction would be less, if the races were confined to a smaller footprint.
i am sure a closed loop could be designed to have all the obstacles and challenges you find on a point-to-point course, and race promoter could make more money by reducing geographic footprint, and charging spectators an entry fee.

[Edited on 4-19-2018 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2018 at 09:40 AM

Then it no longer is desert 'off-road' racing, a totally different event.

Mickey Thompson created the idea of putting off-road racing into a stadium or closed course. He created SCORE just for that idea and the Riverside World Championship of Off-Road Racing was run for many years (the Riverside Speedway was converted into a shopping mall a few years ago).

There is a big difference between racing around and around on the same man-made course than a long-distance point to point desert race. Score was invited by the government of Baja California (in 1974) to take over operating the Baja races which are very popular and very profitable to Baja businesses.

Since the government wants the races in Baja and the true purpose of government is to protect the people, maybe it is time the government adds persons or barriers in the areas popular with spectators if the people can't resist being dangerously close to the course? Something will be figured out to stop the needless deaths in the desert. It is way too traumatic for anyone to have to go through.

[Edited on 4-19-2018 by David K]

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2018 at 10:52 AM

I know this is really difficult for you intellectuals to grasp, but this was a sanctioned race on a marked course. It is the responsibility of the spectators to stay a safe distance away from the race course. THEY DO NOT.

the sanctioner and sanctionee are aware of the problems, and are therefore responsible for enforcing race course safety, and lack of safety enforcement is the responsibility of the sanctioner and sanctionee.
spectator safety would be increased and environmental destruction would be less, if the races were confined to a smaller footprint.
i am sure a closed loop could be designed to have all the obstacles and challenges you find on a point-to-point course, and race promoter could make more money by reducing geographic footprint, and charging spectators an entry fee.

It comes down to personal responsibility. If you get out on the race course in front of a race vehicle, shame on you. Government and/or race promoter will NEVER be able to eliminate bad decisions by individuals. Ridiculous to think otherwise.
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2018 at 11:04 AM

Personal responsibility does not end with the spectator. If the racer knows there will be spectators on the track, doesn't he/she have a responsibility to avoid them? And David, why does the government have the responsibility for safety in this Private event.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2018 at 11:10 AM

I see the problem as two fold, the mexican people are rabid off road race fans and (unlike myself) seem to have no fear of pain and death. unfortunate for the race teams but like tioloco says, it'll never go away:(
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2018 at 11:22 AM

Personal responsibility does not end with the spectator. If the racer knows there will be spectators on the track, doesn't he/she have a responsibility to avoid them? And David, why does the government have the responsibility for safety in this Private event.
Pedestrians are killed pretty regularly around the world on controlled access freeways. The drivers don't intend on or expect to collide with these pedestrians who are there for a variety of reasons. (Hitchhikers, drivers of disabled vehicles, immigrants crossing highway, etc.) Still, the fact remains that if you are afoot, yielding the right of way to a large vehicle is the prudent thing to do. Laws and enforcement don't prevent this type of tragedy. Not much different for a Baja race course. Condolences to all involved.
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2018 at 11:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  

It comes down to personal responsibility. If you get out on the race course in front of a race vehicle, shame on you. Government and/or race promoter will NEVER be able to eliminate bad decisions by individuals. Ridiculous to think otherwise.

I agree, Tio! There are all kinds of videos of spectators doing stupid things...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTdMQfxzC84

[Edited on 4-19-2018 by Pacifico]

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2018 at 12:14 PM

One of the problems where spectators are injured or killed is alcohol. The more one drinks the braver they get.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2018 at 12:37 PM

I don't believe the spectators along the power line had any idea they were in harms way. I drove up the track very early and was in the area in question when the bikes started. I thought I would watch for a while but after about 5-10 bikes came past I realized that there were multiple tracks on either side of me and if I stayed I would have to be way off the side in the bushes to be safe. I left that place for a new place on the track where the race line was single race path, another 10 miles down track.
Apparently by the time the trophy trucks arrived the spectators were in place just like I was, except they did not realize they were in the middle of multiple race lines.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-20-2018 at 08:02 AM

What would you expect of a panel of one-dimensional mouth breathers whose summed IQs is less than my dog’s IQ?

More brainless post from Nerd and blow hard Mt . You two losers need a new job you don't even make good trolls. You both know nothing about Baja you two wrinkled up old turds. Both lower then whales crap nor do you turds even know how the two died. MAKE AMERICA DECENT TROW OUT MT AND NURDY . Don't think we want you two worthless low life in Baja. You post here with zero brains two nature low life. :bounce::bounce:
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2018 at 09:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  

More brainless post from Nerd and blow hard Mt . You two losers need a new job you don't even make good trolls. You both know nothing about Baja you two wrinkled up old turds. Both lower then whales crap nor do you turds even know how the two died. MAKE AMERICA DECENT TROW OUT MT AND NURDY . Don't think we want you two worthless low life in Baja. You post here with zero brains two nature low life. :bounce::bounce:

i am still waiting for you to scrounge up $10,000 USD for our "challenge"
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Woke!

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.