Elena La Loca
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2018 at 05:57 AM

http://norra.com/release_2018_04_18b.php
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 4-19-2018 at 11:44 AM

Well thats some pretty strict rules to go race in Mexico. Wonder if the score races are going to be saddled with the same requirements?

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 4-19-2018 at 12:01 PM

The "no fuel" requirement seems like a problem for the teams whose vehicles need race gas.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2018 at 12:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  
The "no fuel" requirement seems like a problem for the teams whose vehicles need race gas.

For 2018 MAG-7 will provide fully staffed and equipped fuel and service stops in the off-road sections. All entries will receive FREE support at all MAG-7 service points. This includes fuel for motorcycles. NORRA has partnered with VP Racing Fuels and MAG-7 to get you to the finish line at the 2018 YOKOHAMA Mexican 1000! MAG-7 is proud to be providing pit service for all NORRA racers.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2018 at 12:28 PM

The SCORE "Racer Brief" for the SF250 said no fuel in cans or drums can cross into Mexico only what is in the fuel tank. I did not see anything about spare parts or tires, but I think the same applies to SCORE or will for future races.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-19-2018 at 12:32 PM

Sweetheart deal for MAG-7! Allthe rest of the "new" requirements sound a bit sound like payback for Trumps treatment of Mexico in general...and seems to have been imposed with only a couple of days notice....

caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2018 at 12:51 PM

My brother crews for a truck team for SCORE races, he tells me they were never allowed to bring in fuel, they always bought it from 1 of 4 different local providers.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2018 at 12:53 PM

Pretty special that Norra negotiated modified rules for southbound traffic. Good job Norra. To my knowledge SCORE has not had these kind of special exceptions.
Border crossing rules have been strict for a long time.
Exception for Norra are the extra mounted race tires and allowance for certain major parts to pass without duty. Nobody is ever allowed fuel except what is internal to the vehicle. They look for full vs empty dump cans/jugs that all the racers carry.
I doubt if crossing at the east crossings Tecati, Mexicali, and San Luis they do not get the Norra exceptions?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2018 at 12:55 PM

There has been restrictions on what can be brought into Mexico for several years, such as full gas cans, new spare tires not mounted. They have let racers slide on a lot of it. Individuals can hide many things to get thru and often are not check at the border. A team truck pulling a trailer with a race car and lots of spare parts is going to get checked.
K7BVT
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2018 at 11:56 PM

Several years back we were pitting for Honda at Baja 1K. When we crossed at TJ a customs officer wanted to know what was in the cans in our trailer. First my son offered the guy Honda hats then Honda shirts then he offered $20. All of this seemed to agitate the customs officer who kept demanding to know what was in the cans, finally my son blurted out we had antifreeze in the cans which got the custom officer laughing and sent us on our way.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.