Printable Version  
Author: Subject: THE KANGAROO RAT: BACK FROM EXTINCTION
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 4-19-2018 at 11:41 PM
THE KANGAROO RAT: BACK FROM EXTINCTION

The tiniest bit of good news!

Dear Michael,

Today I want to share with you some headline news: After 31 years of suspected extinction, the San Quintín kangaroo rat was found!

Why are we so excited about this? Well, the kangaroo rat (Dipodomys gravipes) was found inside the Valle Tranquilo and Monte Ceniza nature reserves, both managed and protected by Terra Peninsular. What does this mean? It means that thanks to the support we’ve received from all of our friends, we have been able to take the necessary actions to protect these natural areas that resulted in the comeback of a species that was last seen in 1986.

[Edited on 4-20-2018 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 4-19-2018 at 11:52 PM

My 1st Baja trip was to research kangaroo rats with Orange Coast College.
It was all offroad.
We called ourselves Rat Patrol.
We called our leader "Captain Kangaroo". Not sure he liked it much.
We caught a few. So darn cute and friendly.
After letting us examine them they gently hopped back into the brush with cheeks full of grain.
So cute.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 4-20-2018 at 04:32 AM

Will probably make good Road Runner food.

But seriously , that is great news. With So many species vanishing from this beautiful world of ours it is indeed wonderful to hear of even something as small as a rat making a comeback.

Also vary cool and most appropriate that you were the person to find out and post about this ......

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2018 at 05:23 AM

Live-trapped (using Havahart) heermanni and ingens (Herman's and Giant) in Fresno county in the 1970s. In camp Gekco, the little buggers are at times a pest they can be so numerous. I believe they are d. merriami, but I've never really taken the time to figure it out. Find a copy of Mammals of the Pacific States by Ingles and keep it around, very good at identifying critters. I still keep a small Havahart in the cabin and set it out once-in-a-while, mostly get deer mice.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 4-20-2018 at 07:20 AM

The kangaroo rats have always been around the San Quintin Bay since we arrived here many years ago Mike. They are too friendly which makes them easy targets for dogs, cats, snakes, roadrunners, owls, hawks and passing cars; on top of mouse traps. We see them on almost a daily basis here at our place and try to relocate them back to an area where they have a lot of natural protection.

Kangaroo Rat.jpg - 35kB

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 4-20-2018 at 09:08 AM

They are cute and cuddly, but does anyone remember the hantavirus outbreak a ways back? The kangaroo rat was a prime culprit as a carrier, killed over 300 souls in the 4-corners region where they're quite prolific.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-20-2018 at 09:43 AM
Shell Island Kangaroo Rat; Oct. 2009

While enjoying the campfire one evening, we had a visitor...

Such a long tail!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2018 at 10:09 AM

they're cute little guys for sure.....so what led to their dwindling numbers and what has happened to bring em back?
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 4-20-2018 at 11:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGringo  
The kangaroo rats have always been around the San Quintin Bay since we arrived here many years ago Mike. They are too friendly which makes them easy targets for dogs, cats, snakes, roadrunners, owls, hawks and passing cars; on top of mouse traps. We see them on almost a daily basis here at our place and try to relocate them back to an area where they have a lot of natural protection.

Awesome Ron. Thankyou for the insider info.
When I get there I will help you move them back to a better spot.
One of my goals is to learn all about the animals and help them or at least not so anything to harm them.
I had read that they were believed extinct.
It's a special San Quintin only Kangaroo rat.
There is also a unique rattle snake too. Have you ever seen that guy?
San Quintin bay is like a mini gelopigos island.
But then all of Baja is.
Or was...

[Edited on 4-20-2018 by fishbuck]

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 4-20-2018 at 12:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
they're cute little guys for sure.....so what led to their dwindling numbers and what has happened to bring em back?

Los Pinos, BerryMex and any other agriculture in the area has destroyed vast swathes of natural habitat. And now developement for housing is starting to explode there. Like everywhere else eventually.
Agriculture by definition kills everything except 1 type plant or animal. The land is basically sterile except for the crop or herd or flock.
So nature must pay for itself in some way or the land will be otherwise developed to make money.
Think whale watching. Whales are saving the world for us. And we thought we were saving them...
Maybe my little rat buddies can save Baja with the overwelming cuteness.
If they can warm my stone cold heart... they can get to anybody:coolup:

I think like Ron said there are still some around. So now is time to save what habitat is left...
And save our selves in the process. Think "Carnary in a coalmine".:saint:

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 4-20-2018 at 12:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
While enjoying the campfire one evening, we had a visitor...

Such a long tail!

What the heck are you feeding him/her? A piece of cheeseburger?;)

Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2018 at 01:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
They are cute and cuddly, but does anyone remember the hantavirus outbreak a ways back? The kangaroo rat was a prime culprit as a carrier, killed over 300 souls in the 4-corners region where they're quite prolific.

That was the deer mouse, Peromyscus maniculatus. Their dried urine can get into the air from sweeping, dusting, etc, people breath it and can get hantaviruses and lyme as well. Was a real problem at the tent rental area at Curry Village in Yosemite as the tents were double walled, the meeses were living between the canvas walls. Also high desert such as Bodie was a hot spot. If you suspect deer mice, wet mop, don't sweep or blow.
Believe it or not, there are folks who call themselves 'mice fanciers'. Not a real fun group.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2018 at 02:54 PM

Bread, as they are not carnivorous.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 4-20-2018 at 03:39 PM

Bread, as they are not carnivorous.

Yeah well looks like a humburger bun.
And rats of all types are omnivores.

gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2018 at 08:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  

Not really: "the deer mouse (Peromyscus maniculatus) was found to be the main host to a previously unknown type of hantavirus. Since the deer mouse often lives near people in rural and semi-rural areas—in barns and outbuildings, woodpiles, and inside people’s homes—researchers suspected that the deer mouse might be transmitting the virus to humans. About 30% of the deer mice tested showed evidence of infection with hantavirus. Tests also showed that several other types of rodents were infected, although in lesser numbers."

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 4-20-2018 at 09:21 PM

"Yeah so don't talk smack about us Baja kangaroo rats please"
"We don't need no stinking virus". Quote from really cute Baja kangaroo rat.

[Edited on 4-21-2018 by fishbuck]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2018 at 09:39 PM

I think we were eating sandwiches when the little guy came to enjoy the campfire.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 4-20-2018 at 09:44 PM

I think we were eating sandwiches when the little guy came to enjoy the campfire.

"Nothing beat a nice sandwiche by a campfire in Baja with a cute little vistor" is what I always say.:D

BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 4-21-2018 at 09:25 AM

Sorry to be a camp party pooper

Feeding wildlife often ends their life. Next friendly campers dog will thank for the Kangaroo snack

Lionel
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2018 at 10:15 AM

Good point Lionel.

For what it's worth, I did not entice him out of the shrubs he just hopped out on his own, perhaps mesmerized by the fire? I gave him a treat as an afterthought.

I do remember camping a Nuevo Mazatlan in the 1970s and while visiting with camp owner Luis around our campfire, a kangaroo rat appeared to the fire and one of Luis's dogs gulped it up in a flash!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.