Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Tire testing the Falken AT3W
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 8-9-2018 at 02:28 PM

Today, I am having the Falkens rotated and balanced. They performed flawlessly on the sand dunes at Cantamar. Next, they need mud, rock and dirt testing.

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 07:15 AM

Ken did you air down or what PSI you run. I have not let mine down past 26psi yet. I will try 18psi on hill climb test
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 09:55 AM

Have any of the desert dwellers reading this thread ever run a set of AT3Ws in ice and snow? I actually spend quite a bit of time in cold country, and a slight edge in performance on ice means more than it does off road (which is where you wind up with crappy snow tires!)

That slight edge is what turned me to Goodyear Wranglers over BFG all terrains a few years back.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 11:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Ken did you air down or what PSI you run. I have not let mine down past 26psi yet. I will try 18psi on hill climb test

My Staun tire deflators are set for 11 p.s.i. The tires' footprint was fat and bulged well.

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 11:13 PM

Fat foot print always good:) How do the staun tire deflators work and where to buy.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 11:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Have any of the desert dwellers reading this thread ever run a set of AT3Ws in ice and snow? I actually spend quite a bit of time in cold country, and a slight edge in performance on ice means more than it does off road (which is where you wind up with crappy snow tires!)

That slight edge is what turned me to Goodyear Wranglers over BFG all terrains a few years back.
I never got a chance to try the wranglers in the snow and ice, But very disappointed in baja with them. Very weak side walls,
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 11:18 PM

Sorry Larry, I meant OASIS tire deflators. It is getting late, and my accuracy suffers with fatigue. 4 hour trip from Riverside to Playas de Tijuana. The Oasis deflators were less expensive at the time. I bought them someplace local about 15 years ago.

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2018 at 05:51 AM

Do the screw on over air valves and just let air down to amount you need. Then remove and re fill air for street use. If so saves time I want them. I would love to try mine at 9/10psi . Any idea what you jeep weight is.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 8-11-2018 at 03:33 PM

Do the screw on over air valves and just let air down to amount you need. Then remove and re fill air for street use. If so saves time I want them. I would love to try mine at 9/10psi . Any idea what you jeep weight is.

They screw on the valve stem. Stop automatically at whatever psi you choose. Set them up using a moto tire. Way faster to air up and down for the initial setup. I have been using them for years.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 8-11-2018 at 03:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
Today, I am having the Falkens rotated and balanced. They performed flawlessly on the sand dunes at Cantamar. Next, they need mud, rock and dirt testing.

Nice. Thanks for the reports
Will check them for my truck. Probably $2000 for a set.
17 inch rims.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2018 at 12:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  

17 inch rims.

Probably $1,200 for a set. $300/tire - these are Falkens not BFGOODRICH.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 8-12-2018 at 03:19 AM

Ok cool. I''ll check them out for sure then.
I have Michelins now. Expensive but an excellent ride. Quiet and sticky.
Mud and snows. Probably go anywhere. 10ply and super tough.
But I would love a set of real offroad tires.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2018 at 07:30 AM

17 inch rims.

This is the search string that I used to figure your pricing.

https://www.discounttire.com/tires/brands/falken-catalog?cat...

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 8-12-2018 at 12:32 PM

Discount tire is best for sure.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2018 at 07:44 PM
Tire Testing - Sand

The Falken AT3W impressed me with its sand capabilities. It literally walked up the sand dunes with zero complaints.

My set of Falkens are the 35x12.5"r15 flotation size.

When aired down, they formed a nice bulge that allowed plenty of sand traction. This tire was aired down to 11 psi at the time it was being inflated.

I spent a couple of hours in Cantamar - just a few miles south of Puerto Nuevo with my wife for this tire test. If you have a chance to visit and $7 entry fee for the day, it is a very interesting place to take your 4x4.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2018 at 10:45 PM
Mud testing

Mud will stick to any tire. The question is how much effort will it take to doing the slop off of the tread, and if the side lugs have enough void space to continue digging?

The sidewall tread helped pull my Jeep up a soft dirt hill before dunking into the muddy pit. More trips to my secret mud plot will reveal if these tires have the traction to compare to my past mud terrain tires I have ran - like the;
Super Swamper TSL-SX ran 25,000 mi., worked like magic in the mud. Bring your earplugs!
BFGoodrich KM - I parted ways with these after only 10,000 miles. Worked moderately well.
Interco TrXus MT - These lasted a total of 36,000 miles until within 3/32nds. I have run 3 sets of these so far. Worked moderately well in the mud.
BFGoodrich KM² - These lasted 45,000 miles with about 10,000 more to go. They worked well in the mud. Flexed on rocks incredibly.
BFGoodrich AT/KO - I bought these 2nd hand, and I ran them hard. Slipped when on top of boulders. Chunked poorly. Not recommended for serious off-road use.
BFGoodrich AT - Chunked poorly, sidewalls were weak (I shredded two). Quiet on the street. Not a good rock tire, but did well in the dirt and sand.

Much testing remains of the Falken AT3Ws, but for starters, they held their own and I was pleasantly satisfied with their performance on Sunday.

IMG_20181203_213428.jpg - 85kB IMG_20181203_213353.jpg - 138kB

[Edited on 12-4-2018 by Ken Cooke]

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2018 at 10:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  

They screw on the valve stem. Stop automatically at whatever psi you choose. Set them up using a moto tire. Way faster to air up and down for the initial setup. I have been using them for years.

I got some inexpensive tire deflators off Ebay. They work just fine and the same way the more expensive models perform. Just pre-set them (mine are at 20psi) and screw them on. Have a quick beer, and voila, they're done.

John

[Edited on 12-5-2018 by John Harper]
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 12-5-2018 at 01:02 PM

Love the pics.

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2018 at 01:19 PM

Discount tire is best for sure.

I look for Evans Tire buy 2 get 2 deals. They seem to pencil out a better deal the last two times we've bought tires.

John
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2019 at 06:57 AM

Updating later this month in a big way.
I plan on looking at dirt and lateral rock traction which is supposed to be good for this particular tire. :bounce:

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.