BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Ever take a boat to the middle of no where?
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2018 at 04:29 PM
Ever take a boat to the middle of no where?

Over Easter break my 14 and 16 yo's and I drove 12 hrs from SoCal to Bahia de Los Angeles and then went 50 miles out on a super panga to Puerto Refugio and camped out.

Puerto Refugio is the big bay on the Northern tip of Isla Angel de la Guarda, and is flanked by three smaller islands - Isla Mejia, Isla Division, and Isla Granito.

The famous Sail Rock guards the entrance to the beautiful bay.

We heard all about the rattle snakes that are only known to the island, but after worrying about them a good bit, we didn't even see one.

[Edited on 5-1-2018 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 4-21-2018 at 04:43 PM

Way Cool JZ looks like you got that video stuff down, looks like a great spot for some drone fishing :lol::lol: Just kidding...Thanks for postin

So understand dont waste your time always searching for those wasted years
face up and make your stand and realize that your living in the golden years
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 4-21-2018 at 04:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Over Eastern break I took my 14 and 16 yo's.....

What's an Eastern break? I didn't think there was surfing on the SOC. :?:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-21-2018 at 04:57 PM

Awesome!

Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2018 at 06:27 PM

Cool video, JZ! I remember Guillermo telling me about all the rattlesnakes on the island and that when he overnights out there, that he sleeps on the boat!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2018 at 07:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pacifico  
Cool video, JZ! I remember Guillermo telling me about all the rattlesnakes on the island and that when he overnights out there, that he sleeps on the boat!

I actually had to argue with him a bit to take us to the cove we camped in. I put my foot down and glad I did, as all of this was shot in 24hrs and a bunch of it from where we camped.

He did sleep on the boat, across the bay off one of the small islands. In the AM my MX friend climbed the hill and looked over to where he was supposed to be anchored and the boat was gone. I was mildly worried, but figured he was out fishing early.

It took about an hour, but we got a hold of him on the radio. I did make a mental note of how much water we had because my kid told me when we were driving out about a story he read of 2 guys walking around the island for a week plus before one of them was rescued.

[Edited on 4-22-2018 by JZ]

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2018 at 09:43 PM

Great vid! Thanks, a special place. Been there before, vid tells me to return.

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2018 at 10:29 PM

Great video as usual. Thanks for sharing. Lucky kids to get that kind of exposure to Baja. That will last them a lifetime.
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2018 at 07:49 AM

That Sir was very cool. It reminded me of the my very first trip to Bay of LA many many years ago. Pristine, uncrowded full of life. Thanks.:coolup:

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2018 at 08:39 AM

Nice! And Buddha, you might be surprised about soc surf...
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

thumbup.gif posted on 4-22-2018 at 09:53 AM

A campsite to die for.........I've seen pictures of the place But this!!............You do have this wired!......Great stuff!
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2018 at 10:27 AM

That has to be the most confused those seals have ever been. A true ufo to them.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 4-22-2018 at 12:16 PM

Spectacular!

Harald Pietschmann
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2018 at 06:52 PM

Very cool, how many days did you stay? Was it Igor that took you out? Really love your videos and the perspective that it gives..
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2018 at 06:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by Pacifico  

I actually had to argue with him a bit to take us to the cove we camped in. I put my foot down and glad I did, as all of this was shot in 24hrs and a bunch of it from where we camped.

He did sleep on the boat, across the bay off one of the small islands. In the AM my MX friend climbed the hill and looked over to where he was supposed to be anchored and the boat was gone. I was mildly worried, but figured he was out fishing early.

It took about an hour, but we got a hold of him on the radio. I did make a mental note of how much water we had because my kid told me when we were driving out about a story he read of 2 guys walking around the island for a week plus before one of them was rescued.

[Edited on 4-22-2018 by JZ]

I remember that. It was 2 or 3 American guys and a panga operator from one of the mothership operations. Crazy story...one of the guys died. If I remember right, the wind came up and they had no radios or safety equipment. I think they made it up to the north part of the island where there was a small military outpost...

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
chumlee57
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2018 at 07:46 PM

yea, if its the story I remember, they walked around the island foe quazie empty water bottles and survived off of them, i don't remember anyone passing away, could'a been a another story, i thought I read it in Western Outdoor News, many years ago. Great video amigo, u got that stuff down
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2018 at 07:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Very cool, how many days did you stay? Was it Igor that took you out? Really love your videos and the perspective that it gives..

We just stayed out on the island one night. We rode the other days of the trip. But man did we get lucky with the weather. Flat as a pancake the first day.

In July we are going to ride the entire Seven Sisters. I'm going to try some different stuff for that ride. I've been watching a bunch of videos of the best mount places for GoPros and I'm going to mix some of those shots in. Also planning to get a smaller drone and do more closeup, moving shots on difficult parts of the trails.

The price of this tech has come down so much it's really affordable now.

[Edited on 4-23-2018 by JZ]

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2018 at 07:57 PM

What a great video! Thank you so much for sharing, that was just incredible to watch.

How sad that the American guys died, I see cacti, surely they could have eaten them???

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2018 at 07:59 PM

The seven sisters is one of my favorite rides after doing it this year. I want to go back and do it over several day and camp as we go, it's a very special area...
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 4-22-2018 at 09:54 PM

Now on my Bucket List.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.