Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: 2018 Norra 1000
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-25-2018 at 03:34 PM

Jim, where are the silt beds they had an issue with, Rancho Cuarenta? I couldn't get their map to open to see what road south of San Ignacio they were using.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2018 at 06:28 PM

The picture of the siltbeds is where cars went off track a mile or so (went straight instead of turning). Between Datil and San Juanico. Stuck there for three hours.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2018 at 09:01 PM

Thanks Ralph.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2018 at 07:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Jim, where are the silt beds they had an issue with, Rancho Cuarenta? I couldn't get their map to open to see what road south of San Ignacio they were using.

No idea where the silt beds are specifically. Does looking at the embedded version of the course help? Been years since I was there, so I'm not a good source of information.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2018 at 08:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  

No idea where the silt beds are specifically. Does looking at the embedded version of the course help? Been years since I was there, so I'm not a good source of information.

The track your map shows is the same road I drove last year and there were no silt beds on the road. However, Ralph says they were off the course "a mile or so" (I wonder why?). The only rough section was near El Datilón ranch where an arroyo is crossed and a climb up to the low mesa is made.

[Edited on 4-26-2018 by David K]

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2018 at 10:10 AM

The silt beds reveal themselves after prerunning begins. Sometimes ever earlier depending on weather. Even then there are go around to avoid the silt.
Could be the race track takes a more direct route than the normal tourist route??
Should be easy to find by comparing the race track with someones GPS track on the normal route. Last time I drove that route I saw no silt. Previously I found the silt, but it was not a great distance. Guys I was with drove around the silt.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2018 at 10:12 AM

There's some good silt photos on RDC -- scroll down.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2018 at 10:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
The silt beds reveal themselves after prerunning begins. Sometimes ever earlier depending on weather. Even then there are go around to avoid the silt.
Could be the race track takes a more direct route than the normal tourist route??
Should be easy to find by comparing the race track with someones GPS track on the normal route. Last time I drove that route I saw no silt. Previously I found the silt, but it was not a great distance. Guys I was with drove around the silt.

My GPS track, Aug 2017:

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2018 at 10:47 AM

Day 4 recap

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2018 at 01:07 PM

Here is a GE image of the section before El Datil. If the racers missed the turn and went straight (yellow lines) there are lots of silt beds. I don't recall any silt beds from El Datil to San Juanico except maybe like David said across the water crossing past El Datilon shown on DKs map.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2018 at 02:44 PM

well they're in...looks like mark post for the overall.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2018 at 03:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Here is a GE image of the section before El Datil. If the racers missed the turn and went straight (yellow lines) there are lots of silt beds. I don't recall any silt beds from El Datil to San Juanico except maybe like David said across the water crossing past El Datilon shown on DKs map.

It was at rm300 if that helps. I do not have the course map/book close by.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2018 at 03:35 PM

Could have been El Batequi
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-27-2018 at 07:10 AM

Where did the Harley entry 420? finish....I cant imagine that beast in the silt!

Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2018 at 07:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Could have been El Batequi

Agree ... on the Datil route that's about the only silt bed ... just south of the Riverbed ... many lines and I've come upon locals stuck there before and after the races and strapped them out and then usually by the first big storm its back to normal. Not good for the 2WD amigos.

However, oftentimes the race course turns south before the end of the pavement after the Patricino turn off and it winds back and forth through the desert and their are a bunch of silt beds back there, but traveling the road the regulars don't see them ...

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
Loretana
Senior Nomad

Mood: alegre

[*] posted on 4-27-2018 at 11:27 AM

I was so pleased to host the 9 man Arciero Sports Racing Team here at my home in Loreto on Tuesday night.....such gentlemen!

Ryan Arciero kept their 2nd place standing strong into the finish.

This 1985 Chenoweth DR2 is a classic beauty, I was delighted to see "Old Betsy" parked under my ramada after a tough run thru the silt beds earlier in the day.

"If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration."
-Nikola Tesla
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2018 at 11:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Where did the Harley entry 420? finish....I cant imagine that beast in the silt!

they finished 27th! even more impressive kevin and michele busch finshing 19th TWO-UP on the BRP!
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2018 at 12:34 PM

Day 5 recap

Zak and John Langley. Zak was second in Evolution Unlimited Truck class (aka Trophy Truck), and 22nd overall in San Jose del Cabo.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2018 at 01:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

even more impressive kevin and michele busch finshing 19th TWO-UP on the BRP!

Now that is impressive. Five days of racing double on a bike.

A couple of years ago I met a husband and wife at Mikes Sky Ranch and they were riding double on a Zuzuki 650 (I think). They came in from El Coyote. He was a lawyer out of Orange County.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2018 at 07:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  

they finished 27th! even more impressive kevin and michele busch finshing 19th TWO-UP on the BRP!

Met them ...They are characters to say the least.

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.