Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: San Luis to San Quintin
baronvonbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2018 at 04:02 PM
San Luis to San Quintin

From San Luis going from Hwy 3 to Colonet, what is the road like?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-23-2018 at 04:52 PM

As this is in the Off Road forum, are you seeking a shortcut?

If you meant this to be in Road Conditions or Q & A:

San Luis (Sonora?) to Tecate is Hwy. 2 and there is a Hwy. 3 from Tecate south to Ensenada. Ensenada to Colonet is Hwy. 1.
All are generally great highways and some have 4 lane sections.

Or, maybe you mean the other Hwy. 3? Go Hwy. 2 to Mexicali (toll 2-D preferred) and take Hwy. 5 south for about 80 miles where Hwy. 3 junctions. That goes west and northwest to Ensenada, 120 miles.

If you did mean 'off road' then use the above directions to Valle de Trinidad and a fairly good dirt road goes west to Hwy. 1 just south of San Vicente. What kind of vehicle are you in, towing anything?

Let us know which way, and even more details such as kilometer markers and mileages are available!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

baronvonbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2018 at 06:25 PM

As usual I was not clear, was looking at a google map suggested route from Yuma to San Quintin, and it stated that 2 d to 5 and than 3 and cut over at some point and would come into hwy 1 about Colonet. I could not remember any decent roads off of Hwy 3 before you get to Ensenada. but this showed the road with about a 10 minute time frame longer. I hate driving through Ensenada. I looked at my trusty triple a baja road map did not show any roads worthwhile, of course the map is fifteen years old and maybe a new road!!!
And I was not trying to get it in the off road section, I do have a jeep wrangler, obviously not a Toyota Tacoma, but functional. I usually go through Tecate and down through Ensenada to San Quintin, but I hate that drive. Sorry for the lack of clarity, just looking for an easy drive down and some possible suggestions.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2018 at 07:53 AM

Then you are seeking the Valle de Trinidad to San Vicente road!

The only other way was to go through Mike's Sky Rancho to El Coyote, which is longer but more direct looking on the map. The problem with that route is that nobody maintains it anymore and today is best done on a motorcycle or rock crawler type 4x4.

The Valle de Trinidad to Hwy. 1 road was detailed by me in April of last year:

TRIP #4
DAY 1 Wed. Apr. 19:

On the road at 8:25 am, arrive at Calexico at 11:25 am.
Buy pesos at 17.70: Dollar

Note to supplement the previous trip: Km. 51.5+ Campo Sonora is closed.

Take Hwy. 3 (Ensenada highway) west.
Km. 195 Military Checkpoint (just west of Hwy. 5).
Km. 179.5 Borrego pit area, race road crosses highway.
Km. 163 & 162.5 Road to SW to the top end of Diablo Dry Lake, signed 'Colonia San Pedro Mártir'.
Km. 152.5 Road north to Rancho Arroyo Grande (may be closed by locked gate)
Km. 151 San Matias Pass. Original road to San Felipe to left.
Km. 141 San Matias village. At least three eating places along the highway.
Km. 137.5 Road south to Mike's Sky Rancho (31 kms./20 miles).
Km. 120* Valle de Trinidad, paved entrance, Pemex station.
* no sign seen, the Pemex station gave me the km. number.

From here, I take the dirt road that crosses the hills to Highway 1, just south of San Vicente. There are a few turns to get started on the correct road (I won't detail them unless requested) and then it is up and down for a total of 40 miles from Hwy. 3 to Hwy. 1. Took me about 2 hours to drive. 2WD road, but not for motorhomes or Porsches!

Highway 1 is reached at 4:30 pm (Hwy. 1, Km. 103).
I book south to San Quintin, take the 'new' paved road west at Km. 1 for the OLD MILL, and the road is already potholed!

The Old Mill hotel and restaurant is 3.2 miles from Hwy. 1.
I have a delicious LOBSTER burrito plate, with soup and salad and a Pacifico for 230 pesos (U.S. $13)!

I arrive at El Rosario, where the nicest bed and pillows await at Baja Cactus Motel.

Mike's Sky Rancho Road

Over the hills to Hwy. 1

The Old Mill (Molino Viejo)

This is just the beginning of a dose of BAJA, oh yaaaaa!

To be continued with Days 2-7...

My GPS track.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

baronvonbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2018 at 08:17 AM

Thanks Again,David
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2018 at 08:22 AM

Have fun!:bounce::bounce::bounce::cool::cool::cool:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.