BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: La Paz
gardengrrl

[*] posted on 3-4-2005 at 08:04 PM
La Paz

What is the best way to get 9 (7 adults, 2 kids) people from airport to La Concha? I've been quoted $25 r/t per person...this really adds up! Any other suggestions? Thanks!
aldosalato
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2005 at 08:28 PM

rent 2 cars.
www.travelocity.com
has 20 bucks daily rentals thorugh Thrifty
www.alamo.com
www.thrifty.com

You will need them anyway to go into town for shopping and nightlife and to travel around.
gardengrrl

[*] posted on 3-4-2005 at 08:55 PM

Thanks Aldo...$20 bucks a day? That sounds too good to be true, it's probably a tiny car, I don't think we'd fit! Plus my experience is that the $20 quoted does not include any insurance or surcharges....(Last year our "cheap" tiny rental car ended up costing us about $450 when all was said and done -- via Thrifty rental car!) Am I wrong? Aldo, do you know about any mini-van rentals, or do you have a man with a man who'd be available for transporting us to and from Leon as well as a couple of day trips during the week we'll be there? Muchas Gracias!
gardengrrl

[*] posted on 3-4-2005 at 08:57 PM

oops -- sorry Aldo, I meant "do you know a MAN with a VAN", not a "MAN with a MAN"!!!! LOL!!!:lol:
tim40
Senior Nomad

Mood: There yet?

[*] posted on 3-5-2005 at 05:38 PM

2 cabs should do it and you are looking at about 25 to 30 US each way. No way will it be 25pp. If you have A/E it will cover all of your vehicle insurance less the 7.00 US/day. Thrifty rental in La Paz is great. Best I have found almost anywhere.

When searching for the end of your rainbow you only have until dusk....
gardengrrl

[*] posted on 3-5-2005 at 06:37 PM

Tim,

THanks for the info...so your saying it's $25-$30 per cab for all of us and our luggage? (2 cabs at $25-$30?..don't know if 9 people will really fit in 2 cabs, )

And your saying AMerican Express covers us insurance wise with Thrifty??

Thanks again, sorry for all the questions
tim40
Senior Nomad

Mood: There yet?

[*] posted on 3-6-2005 at 12:36 AM

Yes, I think that 9 of you, depending on the cab (full size) could squeeze legally into 2 cabs (now, remember you are going to La Paz, a generally pretty casual town, so go lite on the luggage..lol). When we were in La Paz last time a couple of weeks back we confirmed with A/E that it covered most of the insurance and what we required was the basic insurance (at Thrifty it costs 7.00 US/day) but do call and AE and verify for yourself. Related to my work, I had previously used National Car rental. Although they got the job done they were far less than out of their way friendly and helpful...and this was not just a single use. After deciding to check out rental companies I landed on Thrifty based on price. I was ready for some surprises, and I got them...the most pleasant car rental ever in all of Mexico. When they did not have my car desired at the Airport, they drove me to their downtown office (immediately) and obtained the car I had requested. The driver was extremely friendly and helpful on a number of interested we had...and best of all we did not have to pay the 10% tax for picking up at the airport because we did not...nor did we have to pay for a taxi...oh and last of all, the vehicle (Jeep ) was brand new with less than a 1000 Kilometeres.

Now, I assume that you have asked to confirm that your hotel does not offer a pickup service...9 people...I could see them have some arrangement for you. I base my 25-30 in that I have on several occasions used a cab from the airport to the Los Arcos, and in reverse, and with tip (not expected/requried) it is approximately 20.00... Although I have not measured it, I have been out to where you will be staying and I would say it is about another 50% further than Los Arcos...that is how I come to my price...But the surest way to learn is call the hotel, they will know what the rate is for sure. We will be back down in about 4 weeks (next week we are in mainland; San Miguel de Allende).

When searching for the end of your rainbow you only have until dusk....
yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 3-6-2005 at 09:13 AM

www.thrifty.com "of Mexico". Make sure that you are indexing the international car listing for Cabos at this website. Have a fun trip

Nissan Tsuru(or similar)
Economy, 2-4 Door, Automatic, A/C
x5

1 week @ $168.00/week with Unlimited Kilometers

*TOTAL BASE RATE(USD)
$168.00

What control freaks there are here. Don\'t believe that post you just read!
gardengrrl

[*] posted on 3-7-2005 at 09:03 PM

Lencho,

Is that print out basically the going taxi rate at La Paz airport? The "especial" for $500, do you suppose that is one way or round trip?

Thanks again to all who replied!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.