Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: US insurance for South Dakota plated cars
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2018 at 06:03 AM
US insurance for South Dakota plated cars

Many South Dakota plated cars out there on Baja roads...am considering this myself. But wondering, what US insurance companies are easiest to work with? I have been told by my current company...of some thirty years...that I need a “garaged” address ion the state, and that a mailing address, even if it is a street one such as many private mailboxes companies use, is not acceptable.
Would like to keep current US as well as MX insurance if possible,

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-26-2018 at 08:40 AM

Simple I use friends address zero problems. Even that I own homes in the US never there to get mail.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2018 at 09:59 AM

Get your US insurance from any agent in South Dakota. Very inexpensive. They love it because they will probably never have a claim since you are in Mexico most of the time. Use the same South Dakota address you use for your tags and/or driver licence. To keep it simple arrange for your tags, drivers licence, and insurance at the same time.
The devil is in the details - Like if you have a US home somewhere other that South Dakota then you may be challenged by the authorities where your home is. This is the reason that most all the South Dakota plated vehicles you see in Mexico are permanent residents of Mexico and do not have a home in the states.
Get your Mx Insurance in Mexico.
Result is two policies.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 4-26-2018 at 10:42 AM

I will second PaulW comments.

I have my US insurance in South Dakota (I also have all my vehicle plated there as well as my Driver's Lic.). My insurance for my wife and myself, cots about $190.00 per year for three vehicles (GEICO).

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2018 at 11:03 AM

Any car insurance company will sell you coverage.
When your up to your neck in alligators, getting them to PAY after they find out you really reside in Cali instead of S.D. is another story.
That's where their T&C's will allow them to wash their hands.
Your move Amigo.
Fideocomiso aint worth much, Right on, you win.

Es Todo Bueno
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2018 at 01:33 PM

Not ture as none of my Ca Ins agents will cover me with S.D plates. Also not true about where you live sorry the facts. As two people I know did have there US ins pay out money with SD plates.
grizzlyfsh95
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2018 at 02:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Not ture as none of my Ca Ins agents will cover me with S.D plates. Also not true about where you live sorry the facts. As two people I know did have there US ins pay out money with SD plates.

Why have US ins, if your SD plated car is used in Mexico? Have Mexican ins.

The harder I work, the luckier I get
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-26-2018 at 02:49 PM

Is it because the state the car is registered in REQUIRES liabilty insurance?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-26-2018 at 04:34 PM

They migt travel north occassionally?

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 4-26-2018 at 04:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by grizzlyfsh95  

I believe if your car is plated with US plates it needs to be US insured to get MEX insurance. If your car is MEX plated, then just MEX insurance would do.

So if your car is SD plated, SD insurance should suffice. These companies don't give a flying fiddler's phuque about you personally; shop for the cheapest deal if that's what you want. Seems that's the whole point here; look for cheap, buy cheap, and..... get cheap.
Then deal with it if the chit hits the fan. :smug:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2018 at 04:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  

I believe if your car is plated with US plates it needs to be US insured to get MEX insurance. If your car is MEX plated, then just MEX insurance would do.

So if your car is SD plated, SD insurance should suffice. These companies don't give a flying fiddler's phuque about you personally; shop for the cheapest deal if that's what you want. Seems that's the whole point here; look for cheap, buy cheap, and..... get cheap.
Then deal with it if the chit hits the fan. :smug:

I had once heard this about needing a US policy to purchase MEX ins on a US plated car.......but never found it to be the case. do company's like bajabound ask for proof of a US policy?
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2018 at 07:14 PM

I only drive it in the US few times a year so USA ins. As for the Mex INS on Plated SD cars some Mex ins your car needs current Us ins for your Mex policy. Some do not care if you have current US ins . Check your policy when my Toyota was wrecked by another driver the Mex ins fixed it never asked if it had current US reg.
karenintx
Senior Nomad

Mood: Living The Dream

[*] posted on 4-26-2018 at 08:11 PM

I only drive it in the US few times a year so USA ins. As for the Mex INS on Plated SD cars some Mex ins your car needs current Us ins for your Mex policy. Some do not care if you have current US ins . Check your policy when my Toyota was wrecked by another driver the Mex ins fixed it never asked if it had current US reg.

Same for us. Since 2005 the only insurance we have purchased is MX insurance. When involved in an accident, no one asked us if we had USA auto insurance nor were we asked by the police for a tourist card, RT or RP. They only asked to see our MX insurance policy and the car registration.

Insurance paid for repairs...no questions asked.
charliemanson
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2018 at 11:41 AM

Super easy solution> By a Mexican car, register it, obtain Mexican plates. By doing that at least you will be being honest down here and not lying to the US or cheating Mexico, which is what you all are trying to do..
You will be helping out the country you are living in by improving the roads that everybody on this site complains about, probably not get pulled over as often and asked for a mordita as most complain about and most of all just be a respectable human and do the right thing instead of trying to find a way around everything that is correct...sounds like a bunch of people from the US..:fire:

Or you can import your car which is also a different way not to cheat the system.... or just keep cheating your way through life.

When I moved down here, that is what I did and feel pretty dang good about it. easy peasy

I am going to go save gas and fish with my drone

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.