BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Something, some will never get.
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 4-30-2018 at 09:21 PM
Something, some will never get.

Copied from a friend of mine:
"Don't think it doesn't matter if you are posting a photo of a surf spot and naming it or giving clues or one that has a backdrop that gives the spot away. It is not the smart play. EVERY post adds to the crowd, EVERYTIME. DON'T DO IT, DON'T BE A CROWD SEEDER"

There are no secret places in Baja. There are some that are a bit harder to find. Some of us here love our little place of magic and hope to keep them off the trade routes and becoming surf waste lands.
If you ride a single tract until it becomes a road, is it the same?
If everybody is fishing the same high spot, will it hold fish over time?

[Edited on 5-1-2018 by MMc]

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
4-30-2018 at 10:03 PM
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 4-30-2018 at 10:11 PM

could not agree more

Harald Pietschmann
Rossman
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2018 at 05:00 AM

Sorry, I'm not a surfer. Never been on a board in my 70 years of life but not sure I understand the analogy. There are a finite number of fish and an infinite number of waves and whether there is 1 or 100 people watching, it makes no difference to the wave.
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2018 at 05:07 AM

Don't show a friend because they have friends
Don't take your kids because they have friends and will have kids
Don't take your wife because she will know where to find you
Don't take your car because it leaves tracks
Just stay home and you won't crowd out my beach

In 1963 when I was 8 years old, it took two of us, my surf bro and I, to carry the board across the street from John's surf shop (stored there) to the waters of OB. How was I suppose to keep that a secret spot?
Timo1
Senior Nomad

Mood: Lovin every minute of it

[*] posted on 5-1-2018 at 05:14 AM

Oh Gawd !!!
Another "special interest" group

sold out and got out !!!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-1-2018 at 05:17 AM

If you surf dont stop
If you dont surf dont start

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2018 at 06:17 AM

yawn.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 5-1-2018 at 07:07 AM

an environmentalist is someone who built last year

Harald Pietschmann
MMc
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2018 at 07:54 AM

The first part of the quote was posted about Newport Beach. There is not a place in Newport that isn't surfed. He's just a local, I used it as a extreme example of how many feel.

Many posters here drive around for a vacation that's how they enjoy Baja. Some of us set up camp and stay a week or two. Both of these ways are very different experiences, Micro vs Macro.

There are no secrets in Baja, with a little research you can find just anything. I think doing the research helps in discovering of the adventure or a place. I get why many come here to find answers about a place in Baja. I just hate to see many places exposed to the masses.
Many of us have watched our loved surf spots become ghettos or land developed and closed. Many or us will share over a campfire or a beer, the issue is posting on the web and how many see it.

If you are surfing with 10 people in the water you are sharing, if you are surfing with 20 people in the water you are competing.

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2018 at 08:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
The first part of the quote was posted about Newport Beach. There is not a place in Newport that isn't surfed. He's just a local, I used it as a extreme example of how many feel.

Many posters here drive around for a vacation that's how they enjoy Baja. Some of us set up camp and stay a week or two. Both of these ways are very different experiences, Micro vs Macro.

There are no secrets in Baja, with a little research you can find just anything. I think doing the research helps in discovering of the adventure or a place. I get why many come here to find answers about a place in Baja. I just hate to see many places exposed to the masses.
Many of us have watched our loved surf spots become ghettos or land developed and closed. Many or us will share over a campfire or a beer, the issue is posting on the web and how many see it.

If you are surfing with 10 people in the water you are sharing, if you are surfing with 20 people in the water you are competing.

Huh?:?::lol:
LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2018 at 08:27 AM

There is no good answer. The first person to discover a spot probably tromped a few bushes to get there. If you don’t share your most fun experiences with people it isn’t as fun. If you do share it will see crowds.

I don’t have a problem with sharing spots because I typically only surf super heavy waves that 90% of people wouldn’t go to anyways. And I always share waves and just be patient and have fun no matter how crowded it is.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-1-2018 at 09:40 AM

Trouble is, we all wanna be the Last Pioneer; get through the door and lock it behind us so tick-tock, the game is locked and nobody else can play. Also known as NIMBY door-slammers (Not In My Back Yard!).

I had to face this dilemma when I was running rivers, starting in the '70s. Within 10-15 years permits became harder and sometimes impossible to acquire, ramps became zoos, regulations tighter and tighter. Google Grand Canyon permit system and see how ridiculously tough it is to get a trip down The Big Ditch.

Bottom line is, we must all admit WE ARE RESPONSIBLE for it, because we started it, and the people who came before you are pounding sand about you as well... it's a never ending situation, and will never change. Just ask the Native American Indian. Time, progress marches on and like George Harrison said, "Within you or without you".

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2018 at 10:09 AM

+1, No good answer
Just feel blessed to have surfed when and where you did. For me, my last words intend to be"going left brah"
Most importantly though it was with WHOM you were surfing at that spot with that matters in the end, the waves are forever.
T-street San Clemente, 1965

Es Todo Bueno
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 5-1-2018 at 10:34 AM

As said, it is not just surf spots that we can get possessive over....may of us enjoy the spots less traveled far from the madding crowds.

Humans are a virus on this blue planet....spreading and leaving their toxic slime trail like garden slugs...

Enjoy it unobtrusively while you can with the smallest slime trail left behind.

Don't believe everything you think....
pacsur
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2018 at 01:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  
+1, No good answer
Just feel blessed to have surfed when and where you did. For me, my last words intend to be"going left brah"
Most importantly though it was with WHOM you were surfing at that spot with that matters in the end, the waves are forever.
T-street San Clemente, 1965

BajaTed, what year you graduate SCHS?
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2018 at 03:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Humans are a virus on this blue planet....spreading and leaving their toxic slime trail like garden slugs...

Ged, Come on cheer me up, wish I could disagree with you. Must have
been dropping in on Baja Ted in '65,
surfed T Street '65-'74, although spent most of my surf days
3/4 mi. so. of T at Lausen, not the butchered, misspelled current
newcomers that think it Lost Winds, SCHS

pacsur
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2018 at 03:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Ged, Come on cheer me up, wish I could disagree with you. Must have
been dropping in on Baja Ted in '65,
surfed T Street '65-'74, although spent most of my surf days
3/4 mi. so. of T at Lausen, not the butchered, misspelled current
newcomers that think it Lost Winds, SCHS

Don't forget Croply's, beach house, and the hole...
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-1-2018 at 04:47 PM

Sharing those spots may be OK...What chaps my Burro is the almost immediate questions about why don't they pave the road, and "is the there good cell service" and "is it safe" and "when will there be a tour" and all that BS..The"old" Baja is going fast if it's not gone already...To some of us..Thats very sad......BUT I saw the best of it...and loved it...

MMc
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2018 at 04:55 PM

Many of the surf spots now have cell coverage. Baja is getting smaller, and spelling adventure isn't done with caps anymore. I wish those coming up now could experience like some of us older guys did. Surfline hasn't helped at all, but I use it.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-1-2018 at 05:47 PM

For the first time booger eater surfing out there its magic. That same booger eater realizes that those who were there prior are god-like.

Otherwise, he just continues eating boogers.

Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.